Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop is refusing to boot USB-ISO [ BIOS Security Settings fixed it ]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop is refusing to boot USB-ISO [ BIOS Security Settings fixed it ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

This must be a Dual Boot install:

ESC, and none of the F keys bring up a menu to select what to boot while UEFI is in effect.
F2 is the only exception, it brings up the BIOS menu.

Changed BIOS to Legacy Mode so it would boot the USB-FOB, and Pepperment Live Session Install claims that Win10 does not exist.
BUT, Gparted in the Peppermint Live Session sure does show that it exists.
So, why doesn't the Install see the Win10 install?

Any thoughts on this?

This is with Peppermint 9 which I am trying to put on my daughter's laptop.

Code: Select all

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ inxi -Fd
System:    Host: peppermint Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Nine
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire E5-774G v: V1.18 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Acer model: Hulk_SK v: V1.18 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: V1.18 date: 10/21/2016
Battery    BAT1: charge: 31.0 Wh 100.0% condition: 31.0/41.4 Wh (75%)
           hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-7200U (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1123 MHz 2: 752 MHz 3: 741 MHz 4: 749 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 620
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 179c
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.03hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-23-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath10k_pci
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 58:00:e3:6f:07:23
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp4s0f1 state: down mac: a8:1e:84:18:18:53
Drives:    SSD  Total Size: 271.7GB (1.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_RBU size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 15.7GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.9G used: 249M (7%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram0
           ID-3: swap-2 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram1
           ID-4: swap-3 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram2
           ID-5: swap-4 size: 1.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 31.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 474.8/7845.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ 

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop is refusing to boot USB-ISO

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm Pepperment Live Session Install...
...Peppermint Live Session
So, why doesn't the Install see the Win10 install?
https://forum.peppermintos.com/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...on your last screen shot it shows that secure boot is enabled...you have to disable secure boot and make sure that USB is first boot device...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

also AZg...i know why you are asking the questions here by the way...you are putting this on your daughters computer solely because it has the "ICE" based free microsoft office that your daughter absolutely has to have for her business as she is weaning herself off win 10...do not be surprised if the mods move this to "chat about linux" since this is not a "mint" specific issue...also be aware that just about everything works identical to LM, they even use the MInt updater etc.
be also aware that if and when you may or may not sign up to the peppermint forum, it can take up to 24 hrs before they will even allow the first post to be posted...i have seen this already...also it is no where near as active as the mint forums...also there are many here in the mint forum who also just happen to have peppermint running on their other systems for various reasons...that means there will be plenty of help, just remember the "chat about linux" part of the forum for that system...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 am also AZg...i know why you are asking the questions here by the way...you are putting this on your daughters computer solely because it has the "ICE" based free microsoft office that your daughter absolutely has to have for her business as she is weaning herself off win 10...do not be surprised if the mods move this to "chat about linux" since this is not a "mint" specific issue...also be aware that just about everything works identical to LM, they even use the MInt updater etc.
be also aware that if and when you may or may not sign up to the peppermint forum, it can take up to 24 hrs before they will even allow the first post to be posted...i have seen this already...also it is no where near as active as the mint forums...also there are many here in the mint forum who also just happen to have peppermint running on their other systems for various reasons...that means there will be plenty of help, just remember the "chat about linux" part of the forum for that system...DAMIEN
DAMIEN,
it is exactly as you said..... I know the folks on this forum, and because my daughter MUST be able to flip back and forth between something that she can easily use, and assimulate, and back to Win10....

is the sole reason I chose Peppermint 9 as was suggested for me..... and I highly appreciate that fact.
I really wanted to install 18.3 Cinnamon, but was not feeling so good about the lack of forcing her to accept the harsh realities of making Microsoft stuff work on Linux..... leave that for another year after she gets her feet wet.

From what I read about Peppermint as it installed ( from a DVD finally........ gawd was that painfully slow )
I feel that it is just as good as LM18.3 for her purpose... time will tell on that.
the fact that it is so light in resources was good also, as the Acer Aspire has a small SSD and no way to install a HDD.....
a larger SSD would do the trick, but not needed right now, she just needs to see how things work.

now, a word to the management: I screwed the first install and jerked the DVD out before it installed the boot manager to let both Windows and Linux be selected.
When I rebooted the laptop, up came Windows and I breathed a sigh of relief in that Win10 is still alive and well.
No harm done.

I am thinking that I only need to reboot the DVD into Live Session and then issue the
sudo grub-install and
sudo update-grub commands

IIRC that will force the Grub menu to install and catch Win10 and Linux?

@catweazel: I registered on the Peppermint forum, thanx for the link
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Case Closed Jeeves.........

I decided to not screw up the Grub menu if one is already there....
it should be, but I needed find out.

so, doing a search on Mint Forums led to a thread where someone did exactly what I did and messed it up.

he found his answer here: https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/

and so did I...
the problem was not the installer, it was Secure Boot not allowing the installer to finish its' job..

I followed the 1,2,..... Your done steps and everything was exactly as in that post.
Even the name of the BIOS for the laptop, was identical.

It now boots to the Grub Menu, and if you don't doing anything, into Peppermint.
Item #3 is the Windows Boot Manager

So, my daughter now has the Best of Both Worlds.
1) what she is used to
2) Linux with access to Microsoft Office suite.

Peachy Keen,

case closed sergeant,
goodnite all.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop is refusing to boot USB-ISO [ BIOS Security Settings fixed it ]

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...im happy this worked out for you...did you not notice i made mention in my first post comment about your screen shot that i noticed that secure boot was enabled and needed to be disabled...would have saved you a little searching and work but all is well after all...dont forget to mark the heading in the first post on this subject as solved so others will see the solutions...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop is refusing to boot USB-ISO [ BIOS Security Settings fixed it ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am hi AZg...im happy this worked out for you...did you not notice i made mention in my first post comment about your screen shot that i noticed that secure boot was enabled and needed to be disabled...would have saved you a little searching and work but all is well after all...dont forget to mark the heading in the first post on this subject as solved so others will see the solutions...DAMIEN

No, I did NOT miss that at all, you must have skipped over where I said that with Secure Boot off, the USB FOB would boot up but the Live Session could not find Windows, or something like that........ what I did, was chicken out and use a USB DVD and that was recognized by both....
I just wish that I had remembered to go back and turn off secure boot before I ran the DVD.....
had I done that, it would have worked like a charm.

but, now that I have the Step by Step logged into my Evernote notebook, I will be able to fix things when an install for dual boot does not finish up right.... or be able to help someone else find the same solution.

I've been awake all night, can't sleep for some reason, and haven't reread this whole thread to be sure I am thinking clear about how the progress went. all I care about right now, is setting up Resilio to use my Win7 Desktop PC as a server to let my daughter sync data files back and forth between Linux and Win10... until I get that done, she will have to use a USB thumb drive.

Return to “Chat about Linux”