"the linux community sucks"

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boyo1991

"the linux community sucks"

Post by boyo1991 »

hey guys,

I came across this video a little bit ago. Really surprised I hadnt seen it sooner. I tried to use the search function and it seems this video has been buried cuz nothing came up on the search function.

What do you guys think??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2efSysPvy8

Since seeing this video I have made it a point to go out of my way to help people who do want to run something like linux (especially people like me who really like linux because their answer to not being able to figure out an issue with their computer going 'on the fritz' is to reinstall the OS lmao). I realize that ive tried to avoid the topic of what it is because of what these guys say, a battle for esoteria and i didnt want to be part of that. So now, i look at it more as take it or leave it. I want to help spread linux and not make it so esoteric, and me not saying anything leaves it in that catagory. Altho.. the community being small is good too cuz well, we can get things more organized id suppose :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "the linux community sucks"

Post by Bolle1961 »

Which video? Clicking your url I get a lot of video's
boyo1991

Post by boyo1991 »

oopsie! thanks for catching that, i dont know why that copied when i... well whatever, i updated it and here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2efSysPvy8
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I found the video biased and overgeneralized. Across all areas of interest you'll find people on Internet communities taking time out of their day to ridicule or belittle others for making different choices than them. That's not reserved to Linux. And sure, if you go to an Internet community that has many proponents of one thing, and you ask about another thing, chances are higher that you'll run across such people.
boyo1991

Post by boyo1991 »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm I found the video biased and overgeneralized. Across all areas of interest you'll find people on Internet communities taking time out of their day to ridicule or belittle others for making different choices than them. That's not reserved to Linux. And sure, if you go to an Internet community that has many proponents of one thing, and you ask about another thing, chances are higher that you'll run across such people.
hey xeno, I'm picking up what your setting down. However the video certainly made me think about it and I do feel like there is a misconception on the outside or fringes if nothing else that those 'in the know' purposely ostracize those who are not. Like i mentioned that is a misconception, however I felt it when I first started out those years ago.. I think things have certainly changed, and maybe it wasn't a misconception, that is, at that time. But, now it certainly isn't.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hmmm. I have found the Linux community to be awesome. Any kind of problem you might have, somebody will be able to help you with it. The community goes out of its way to help others. Example: I have every current version of Linux Mint installed in VirtualBox so that I can help people who are using a desktop other than my daily driver, and I'm not the only one. Recently, a forums member gave a newcomer his phone number and talked him through a problem he was having over the phone. There is no better community than the Linux community. I didn't bother to watch the video; the guy must be a troll.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:46 pm Hmmm. I have found the Linux community to be awesome. Any kind of problem you might have, somebody will be able to help you with it. The community goes out of its way to help others. Example: I have every current version of Linux Mint installed in VirtualBox so that I can help people who are using a desktop other than my daily driver, and I'm not the only one. Recently, a forums member gave a newcomer his phone number and talked him through a problem he was having over the phone. There is no better community than the Linux community. I didn't bother to watch the video; the guy must be a troll.
The Linux Mint community, sure. I don't get the impression that it's the norm, though. One of the reasons I chose the Linux Mint distro was because the forum seemed friendly instead of the typical "rtfm" I've seen/experienced on others.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

one of the biggest issues that the Linux community faces, IMHO,,
is the real fact, the the Windows System, which comes on a plethora of machines,
& is such a highly customised system,,
in that the Plain Vanilla Linux System, will also have a plethora of issues with those same machines.
:(
this is indeed reflected in the amount of Help Requests that this Forum, amongst others, is receiving.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I think that's part of it, Pierre. For me, the #1 issue is - and has always been - driver support. Between my USB Wifi adapter (constantly had to rebuild after every kernel upgrade) and Nvidia card (thankfully fixed when switching to XFCE), I can totally understand why users want to stay with Windows, even with its plethora of other issues. Since I'm not a fan of dual-booting, I ended up installing Mint as a (full-screen) VM under Windows 10, giving me the best of both worlds. Perfect? Not by a long shot. But at least now I don't have to close out one system and start another. Don't think I could pull it off without the 16GB of RAM I installed a few months ago, though.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

that guy is way off base.

I have not dealt with more than about 3 or 4 Linux forums, but every one of them had people who tried to help me.

his attitude and opinion is purposely biased against Linux.... I quit at 5 minutes,, I had heard enough.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I didn't even bother to listen to it. The observations of the members here are more than adequate for me to form an opinion. Some areas of any community can suck. I rarely meet a more friendly and helpful community than here. Given that we are members from all over the globe with many, and varied, ethnicities, and beliefs this forum, especially, is a good advertisement for the world of mint.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I just got bored and switched off after 3-4 minutes.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rui no onna wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 pm The Linux Mint community, sure. I don't get the impression that it's the norm, though. One of the reasons I chose the Linux Mint distro was because the forum seemed friendly instead of the typical "rtfm" I've seen/experienced on others.
The community here is so good that some of us stay despite no longer using Mint.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Chat about Linux”