WireGuard VPN review: A new type of VPN offers serious advantages

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

I submit this without endorsement, but a certain Mr. Torvalds appears to be a fan. Looks interesting.

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: WireGuard VPN review: A new type of VPN offers serious advantages

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi joefootball...though it is still under development, i would love to play with this...the installation instructions for ubuntu based seem simple enough though i wont install it yet until i can figure out just one thing...what i cant figure out is how do you use it ?...how do you turn it on and off, is it simple or complicated ?...is it terminal controlled ?, is it gui ?...i couldnt find any clear cut instructionals/tutorials...DAMIEN
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:what i cant figure out is how do you use it ?
Great questions. I've not tried it myself, but it does appear to be CLI based currently. But as you noted, it's still under development, so we shall see what the finished product is.

Joe
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Some guides on how to use it that I bookmarked:

https://www.stavros.io/posts/how-to-con ... wireguard/
http://jrs-s.net/2018/08/05/some-notes-on-wireguard/

I've not made time yet to play around with it but I'm definitely looking to use it in some personal project sometime.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI JoeFootball,

Thank you for providing this information for everyone.

WireGuard looks like a very interesting and very promising VPN option.

But, unless VPN providers adopt and use this new VPN connection method it only seems to be useful for people who have setup their own WireGuard VPN server? Am I missing something? What vpn providers and their servers are available to test this with, or can this work with "openVPN" servers as well?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

phd21 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 pmWhat vpn providers and their servers are available to test this with, or can this work with "openVPN" servers as well?
First search result for "wireguard VPN provider" leads to a free WireGuard tunnel for testing: https://www.azirevpn.com/wireguard

WireGuard is very new but likely/hopefully we'll see rapid adoption as the benefits to users and providers are clear (less resource heavy and more secure).
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

And while this does indeed look interesting, and not to dissuade anyone from trying it, but just keep in mind its current state of development. From its website...
WireGuard wrote:Work in Progress
WireGuard is not yet complete. You should not rely on this code. It has not undergone proper degrees of security auditing and the protocol is still subject to change. We're working toward a stable 1.0 release, but that time has not yet come. There are experimental snapshots tagged with "0.0.YYYYMMDD", but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security vulnerabilities (which would not be eligible for CVEs, since this is pre-release snapshot software).
Good things ahead! :)

Joe
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

Return to “Chat about Linux”