‘Five Eyes’ governments call on tech giants to build encryption backdoors — or else

Chat about Linux in general
Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: ‘Five Eyes’ governments call on tech giants to build encryption backdoors — or else

Post by Pierre » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 am

Australia setting itself up as Five Eyes' weakest link:
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/australi ... ink-512984
Australia’s proposed decryption laws would make it the “weakest link” in the Five Eyes alliance
and therefore a “funnel” for international requests for data, the Law Council of Australia has warned. .. . .

Government appears intent on fast-tracking encryption bill:
https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... tion-bill/
The provisions in the bill that have drawn the most concern from civil liberties organisations and the tech industry are those that would introduce new requirements for service providers to cooperate with investigations. In some cases, tech companies could be compelled to build entirely new capabilities sought by police or intelligence agencies. . . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

ud6
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ‘Five Eyes’ governments call on tech giants to build encryption backdoors — or else

Post by ud6 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 am

Portreve wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 am
ud6 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 am
Unfortunately in modern world seems classification of people is more important than actions and evidence.. the sad consequence of identity politics. Am I a geek just because I use Linux? Possibly :lol: :lol:
Much of my life — working or otherwise — has felt like I never had both feet in whatever I was doing or the context of where I was at. That's not to say I'm not a geek or a nerd; it's just that I've always had a for somewhere else. I don't feel like I've ever truly for in anywhere, at least not completely. This is not by choice, I assure you.
+1 ... I think that comes from a desire for constant stimulation - as soon as we get close to being great at something, we get bored and need to do something else :lol: I'm pretty good at so many things, and have experience in so much stuff, but my life never really progresses too far because I can't do the drudgery to just focus on one thing for five years and do it well :lol: :lol:

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:26 pm

ud6 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 am
+1 ... I think that comes from a desire for constant stimulation - as soon as we get close to being great at something, we get bored and need to do something else :lol: I'm pretty good at so many things, and have experience in so much stuff, but my life never really progresses too far because I can't do the drudgery to just focus on one thing for five years and do it well :lol: :lol:
No, not really. At least, not for me. I have a broad swath of both knowledge and interests, and so when I worked for Sony tech support, I was one of the few non-gamers. When I worked for Home Depot, I was the technology nerd and sci-fi geek. When I worked for local newspapers, printshops, and magazines as a desktop publisher, I was the system admin and often the technology purchase consultant to management. Etc., etc.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Australia's surveillance laws could damage internet security globally, overseas critics say:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018 ... on=science
Australia's new technology surveillance laws are drawing increasing scrutiny from international privacy groups,
and technology companies. .. ..

Further more - - NZ customs can now demand phone or laptop passwords:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/nz-custom ... passwords/
this now bring the NZ arm of the Five Eyes Group, more into line,
with the scenario that is already current ant the US Border Controls.

and the Latest Fight Back:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/australia ... ting-bill/
Australian industry and tech groups unite to fight encryption-busting Bill . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GS3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Anyone remember the Clipper Chip? That went nowhere fast.

When you enter the UK there are signs letting you know you are under the obligation to reveal passwords to any computer or other device. Refusing will land you in jail. I believe it is even stricter in France.
Faust wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:05 am
It's known as "Rubber-Hose Cryptanalysis"
XKCD
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:02 pm

GS3 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm
When you enter the UK there are signs letting you know you are under the obligation to reveal passwords to any computer or other device. Refusing will land you in jail.
That's interesting, but not all that surprising in this age. I've not been abroad for a few years now so haven't seen those; assume they are a relatively recent occurrence.
GS3 wrote:
I believe it is even stricter in France.
Not sure how, unless they still have the death penalty :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm

GS3 wrote:
When you enter the UK there are signs letting you know you are under the obligation to reveal passwords to any computer or other device. Refusing will land you in jail. I believe it is even stricter in France.
Is that a new thing? I've never seen such signs on any of my visits. Can you point me to a source for that information?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GS3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Traveler who refused to give device passwords to police found guilty of obstruction in UK court

In France until 1999 use of any kind of encryption required previous government permit (!) Rules were relaxed somewhat but now France and Germany are trying to implement the obligation of depositing encryption keys with a third party. Like the Clipper chip all this is trying to contain the inevitable.

As a frequent traveler I would recommend to not carry sensitive information when traveling or crossing borders. Better have the information encrypted on some server and access it remotely via VPN. That obviates any questions at the moment of entry and any risk of losing the information if the device is lost or confiscated. There are quite a few cases at US and UK borders of travelers having their laptops or other devices confiscated.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GS3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm
Is that a new thing? I've never seen such signs on any of my visits. Can you point me to a source for that information?
I have seen the signs myself at Gatwick and Stanstead.
UK police can now force you to reveal decryption keys - Refuseniks face jail time

In America the law is not so clear but, still, as they say, they can't make you cooperate but they can make you sorry you didn't do it. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ds/516315/ And they will.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm

just another reason why i never travel with a computer and have never used or owned a "smart phone" and just use a "stupid phone" that doesnt even have a camera.
ORDO AB CHAO

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GS3 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:55 pm

"A pact of five nation states dedicated to a global “collect it all” surveillance mission has issued a memo calling on their governments to demand tech companies build backdoor access to their users’ encrypted data — or face measures to force companies to comply.
lsemmens wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:28 pm
Surely, all that would do is drive developers off shore. It is a process doomed to failure. Look at the Linux world and the protections built in to it.
Yup. It is very nearsighted. Remember when exporting PGP was illegal and the US Government want to impose the Clipper chip? It failed miserably. Various governments have been known to do industrial spying in favor of their own corporations. Powerful multinational corporations will not keep information where they know it will be looked at by others.

Taking your laptop into the US? Be sure to hide all your data first

Neutral countries like Switzerland or Sweden are already making money hosting data servers which are believed to be more secure than those located in other parts of Europe or North America.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Well, it's good to know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”