Mozilla co-founder's Brave files adtech complaint against Google

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richyrich

Mozilla co-founder's Brave files adtech complaint against Google

Post by richyrich »

Looks like the Brave browser is being more than brave. Biting off a pretty big chunk . . Let's me guess; huge fines again, for the EU coffers, and they(google) just keep mining dat data . . what do you think?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-euro ... SKCN1LS2JL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mozilla co-founder's Brave files adtech complaint against Google

Post by thx-1138 »

...there appears to exist a conversation over at ycombinator.
Quite a few comments from a Brave developer as well (Ctrl+F, jonathansampson).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Personally,

I have never had a negative problem with Google or Facebook....

well, maybe facebook, because I can't force it to work like I want :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Hope they when the case, it is nobodies business what we do or where we go. In the past 6-8 months I have tried all I know to rid google from my business.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Honestly, I have no idea how things are at this point in iOS, but I need Google Office / Calendar / Navigation integration, and there really isn't anything out there I can find which serves as a drop-in replacement.

I'm putting encrypted email on hold for the time being because we need an agreed upon standard. However, I use Signal and WhatsApp and am doing what I can to encourage people to switch to them as a primary means of contact.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I have no sympathy for Google. They gotten more and more into grabbing all the info they can from everyone. Their latest deal with Mastercard of secretly gathering info was just too much. I've dropped Chrome and Google search for good. Be careful if you use Startpage on Chrome because Google is still keeping track of your searches as I learned recently when I visited my Google Activity page.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

richyrich wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 pm Let's me guess; huge fines again, for the EU coffers, and they(google) just keep mining dat data . . what do you think?
The political developments that will arise from this are the most interesting. Quite a few non-European sites geo-block EU-visitors now so they don't have to deal with the EU's data protection laws (about a third of US news sites, for example). The more US-companies get hammered with this topic the more will pull out. Google has so far been uneven in its handling of these things - they comply with national censorship requirements but they play hard ball when it costs them money, e.g. when they shut down Google News in Spain because of it.

So should be interesting to see the further developments here, including reactions of European voters who are meant to be protected by these laws but as a result do not longer get easy access to the content they want.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm e.g. when they shut down Google News in Spain because of it.
I read recently that shutting down google news in Spain cost the news agencies there tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue. It serves them right, I think.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 pm
gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm e.g. when they shut down Google News in Spain because of it.
I read recently that shutting down google news in Spain cost the news agencies there tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue. It serves them right, I think.
And yet they keep lobbying for more so the EU keeps going:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-c ... SKCN1IQ2NS

Return to “Chat about Linux”