What do you use as a Downloader?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

What do you use as a Downloader?

Post by snowflake »

Hey
just, curious, what do you guys & gals use as a download manager, I've been using jDownloader for a while now, on a good day its great, sometimes it fails, on a bad day it crashes, nothing a relaunch cant fix
& ehm, dont say wget
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What do you use as a Downloader?

Post by Moem »

I don't use one. I download things through my browser, it works fine. Can you explain why a specific downloader makes things better for you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

uGet (because for large downloads like it's more flexible than a browser Moem, you can schedule large downloads for later while on a weak connection, things like that)
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

Moem wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am I don't use one. I download things through my browser, it works fine. Can you explain why a specific downloader makes things better for you?
better file management, better speed, skips captchas, saves time when on a "which one is the download link" sites, saves ram? because you have to keep web browser open (right?), & just for plain not being used to giving the browser that job, &:
gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 am you can schedule large downloads for later while on a weak connection, things like that
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi snowflake,

The two most popular Linux browser and desktop turbo downloaders, as far as I know, are "uget" and "XDM" Xtreme Download Manager. They both work very well. After testing both, I chose to use XDM.

Xtreme Download Manager: How to install XDM on any Linux distribution
https://sourceforge.net/p/xdman/blog/20 ... tribution/

There are also "XDM 2018" browser extension add-ons that work with the desktop software.

Some browsers like the excellent "Slimjet" have built-in turbo downloaders that work very well.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

wget
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 am for large downloads like it's more flexible than a browser
Apparently I don't do any large downloads... I've always felt that a browser did the job just fine. OP, I hope you'll find something you like!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Browsers are fine with small inconsequential downloads, for downloading large amounts of files (sometimes to different locations) it's useless simply because you cannot queue them.

uget for me, not quite yet what it should (something like how FDM 3.x ended) be but getting there.... XDM looks like everything from the "modern" FDM that I hate... FDM is a windows downloader btw, 3.x I still use the last 3.x version half the time on windows PC's.... now that flashgot kinda died I need to use it from a portable old FF but still. All the flashgot "alternatives" are mere media downloaders.... how the hell is a media downloader an alternative for a mass link grabber with a "grab from selection" option"? Is everyone with browsers suddenly on tablets or something?

Of course all this matter more the slower your line is... for really slow lines torrents (especially with it's auto-repair capability because of random timeouts) do tend to be the best for anything larger than 1GB....
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

snowflake wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 am& ehm, dont say wget
Flemur wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:52 amwget
Hmm...

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

uGet is great.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm
snowflake wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 am& ehm, dont say wget
Flemur wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:52 amwget
Hmm...

my bad, think i banned everyone from posting there :twisted:
MintBean wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 pm uGet is great.
yeah, there was a time when i used it, then ya know, while distro-hopping i guess I forgot to add it, its light don’t mind having it around
phd21 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 am Hi snowflake,

The two most popular Linux browser and desktop turbo downloaders, as far as I know, are "uget" and "XDM" Xtreme Download Manager. They both work very well. After testing both, I chose to use XDM.

Xtreme Download Manager: How to install XDM on any Linux distribution
https://sourceforge.net/p/xdman/blog/20 ... tribution/

There are also "XDM 2018" browser extension add-ons that work with the desktop software.

Some browsers like the excellent "Slimjet" have built-in turbo downloaders that work very well.

Hope this helps ...
thanks ,think imma give uGet, another shot, & given that I need to "vet" XDM befor installing it, guess i just, erm wont lol.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Firefox Addon: Flash Video Downloader (FVD) 16.1.1

works on Linux Mint 18.3 and some OSX's...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am I don't use one. I download things through my browser, it works fine. Can you explain why a specific downloader makes things better for you?
I have to say, in all seriousness after my last humorous post, that I side here with Moem. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I used a BitTorrent client, and that was for something legitimate (some distro I can't even think of atm).

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Another vote for the Browser download here. Rarely do I need anything more, and then it's just a matter of patience.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

as I live with a DSL connection, that today is working at the Extremely High Speed of 0.18 Mbps

I have to use the BitTorrent client...

when the sun shines brightly, and the gods smile down at me, I sometimes get 6 Mbps

I made 3 ScreenRecorder videos today to present to the AT&T Tech Support group Monday morning.

Here is my "proof of the pudding"

I am paying $$$ tonight for the Internet, via Verizon Wireless MiFi modem.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The more that something like stable high speed broadband Internet service becomes a standard public utility (like electricity, water and sewer, telephones, etc.) the more that younger generation will simply not put up with lack of services. I don't really know how that's ultimately going to manifest, of course, but I suspect there will be a greater push to fix the grid, and there will probably be a greater migration of people out of ill-served, rural areas.

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Actually here in SAfrica we are having the reverse trend, pretty much all national grids are literally rotting away but many people (mostly but not exclusively older demographics admittedly) are migrating away from the cities because the rural area's are greatly safer. Depends on where in the world you live and how strong or wealthy your particular bubble happens to be.

Return to “Chat about Linux”