installing kali linux rom cd to usb stick

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ayjaydubya

installing kali linux rom cd to usb stick

Post by ayjaydubya »

i am having trouble installing my kali linux rom dvd disk to a usb stick, i get as far as partition then it refuses to install on the usb stick, any help really appreciated
thanks in advance
tony044
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: installing kali linux rom cd to usb stick

Post by Laurent85 »

Your request is not Linux Mint related, you would get an appropriate support from the Kali forums.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I tired to ask questions on the Kali forum,
and I got reprimanded for having the audacity to ask a question without having researched every post they have ever made...

you will NOT get good forum participation with the Kali bunch
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Kali isn't so much a Linux distribution as a work environment and tool kit for a very specific purpose. The developers assume (pejoratively, apparently) users will have already attained mad skillz on other distributions before worshipping Kali.

They also got swamped a few years ago with script kiddies trying to play Mr. Robot after that TV show became popular. Friction developed between those looking for shortcuts on how do things for dubious, possibly nefarious, purposes and community old-timers who strongly believed that that it's up to the individual to do the work to learn how to do things for dubious, possibly nefarious purposes. It was not a pleasant time and there was much butt-hurtz, particularly among the new comers.

It is damaging to one's ego to be told by a developer or maintainer or forum moderator that they simply don't care about your issue and to go away until you learn to take care of yourself. But, such is the way of Kali.

Assuming you're not trying to do something for dubious, possibly nefarious purposes, why don't you give us a broad idea of what you're trying to accomplish and perhaps we can point you to another environment that may be more welcoming.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

This should be moved to 'chat about Linux' as it's nothing to do with Linux Mint.
ayjaydubya

Post by ayjaydubya »

mostly curiosity, and to keep a check on the security of my laptop, not for hacking which i think is far too dangerous, any help to install it from the dvd rom to an usb drive will be appreciated.
thanks in advance
tony044 :?:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ayjaydubya wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 am thanks in advance
As already stated, this is not a Kali Linux forum. If you need help with Kali Linux, go to their forums. It can't be stated any plainer.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Topic moved as it's not a question about Linux Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Faust

Post by Faust »

ayjaydubya wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 am mostly curiosity, and to keep a check on the security of my laptop, not for hacking which i think is far too dangerous, any help to install it from the dvd rom to an usb drive will be appreciated.
thanks in advance
tony044 :?:
As mentioned by other members here , Kali is a "tool-box" aimed at professional penetration testers .
It is most definitely NOT a general purpose distro ( Mint is just fine for that ) .

Many people arrive at Kali for the wrong reasons , and the general attitude to newcomers on their forum is :-
" Learn to walk before attempting to run " , and I sympathize with that attitude .

For anyone interested in checking out the security of their own systems , I would recommend learning Wireshark ,
just for starters , and there are some good tutorials around for that .

Not wishing to state the obvious , but anyone pen-testing another persons system without their full permission
is almost certainly breaking the law !

Note [1] - there are other "tool-box" distros for pen-testers .... eg Parrot , Backbox , BlackArch
Note [2] - many of the individual tools in those distros will work when installed in Mint .

Return to “Chat about Linux”