Chat about Linux in general
RubyStone
Level 1
Level 1

I'm Moving on.

Post by RubyStone » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 am

What constitutes offense?
What is freedom?
Anyone who looks to history can see that to limit speech by means of ambiguous rules (ie. hate speech, offensive speech) without definition is a sure way to fascism and Marxist dogma.
There was another thread that, in no way, constituted the need to have same thread locked and yet one admin did just that.
This exact thread may even be locked, or deleted, simply for pointing out the unnecessary need to lock before mentioned thread.

Objective and subjective opinions are quite difference. Even if one person finds something to be subjectively (personally) offensive it doesn't mean it is objectively offensive. Furthermore, much of the concept outlined in the so-called "Code of Conduct" starts with the premise of being civil to everyone. It then continues to exclude certain demographics in favor of others. That is, by definition, discriminatory.

The administrator who locked the "Linux Code of Conduct" discussion is based in what is arguably the most 'Speech Oppressive' country on the planet - the UK. Read this post and watch how fast it is locked, or deleted, and you well understand. Nothing mentioned in this post is objectively offensive but if it is labeled as such you will understand.

If the goal is to be civil to EVERYONE then the code should simply be - BE CIVIL TO EVERYONE. Criticism is not being uncivil.
Furthermore, if ANYONE can show specific examples of such conduct, that it serves to literally exclude anyone, please ring it forward and lets discuss. I'm sure we would all stand by any such exclusion.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: I'm Moving on.

Post by catweazel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:51 am

RubyStone wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 am
please ring it forward and lets discuss.
I'm sure you said you're moving on so there's nothing to discuss. Also, I doubt very much that your contribution in helping others will be missed. Some people are all take, no give.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 am

RubyStone wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 am
There was another thread that, in no way, constituted the need to have same thread locked and yet one admin did just that.
You don't know that, because you don't see what was removed from the thread before it was locked.
Look, it's really quite simple. No one was ever promised unlimited free speech on this forum. And when we joined, by doing so we all explicitly agreed with the following:
You agree that “Linux Mint Forums” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.
If you find that you disagree with that now, no one is keeping you here. If you want to move on, move on. That's a kind of freedom too. Good travels!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:16 am

Considering I blew up that thread, and now I got collateral damage, does that make me a terrorist? :arrow:

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:16 am
Considering I blew up that thread, and now I got collateral damage, does that make me a terrorist? :arrow:
Only to those who don't agree with you; to the rest you're fighting the good cause. Given moreover that these days a significant majority of certainly this forum (but at the moment/decade even of, especially, the English speaking countries) agrees with your general outlook wrt. e.g. codes of conduct, don't worry: you're quite safe.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:11 am

Not enough mention of politics to blow this thread up, too, but you're edging towards it. :lol:

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:12 am

Me too. Bye everyone!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am

Glad I missed it all

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 pm

I'd suggest not leaving. You're giving them exactly what they want if you leave.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:25 pm

you are free to move on, as I never met you, I won't be missing you.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Pepi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am
Glad I missed it all
...well, it wasn't exactly the Netflix show of the year - and it depends on someone's mood & patience my guess...
I still found it was actually pretty good fun watching gm10 successfully exorcising the...'beejesus' out of the Chat section... :wink: :lol:

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:02 pm

thx-1138 wrote:
...well, it wasn't exactly the Netflix show of the year - and it depends on someone's mood & patience my guess...
I still found it was actually pretty good fun watching gm10 successfully exorcising the...'beejesus' out of the Chat section...
Thanks for proving the OP's point.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 pm

...he had a point?

...fascists, marxists, Linux kernel devs, forum moderators & speech-oppressive countries like UK(!)...all thrown in the blender.
As said...not exactly the Netflix show of the year...move on.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm

thx-1138 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 pm
speech-oppressive countries like UK(!)
Ever tried chatting up a Queen's Guard in London? Those poor guys are totally speech-oppressed! :lol:

Agreed, the 'exorcism' was fun!

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:43 pm
Pepi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am
Glad I missed it all
I still found it was actually pretty good fun watching gm10 successfully exorcising the...'beejesus' out of the Chat section... :wink: :lol:
Well ... I was hiking in the mountains of Utah and CO when this happened so I was having a great time :mrgreen:

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:14 am

i was going to say the same thing to my Antergos Linux account. i don't like the forum layout and there are too many security options i need to allow in order for the forum to function taking away my freedom of privacy.
in Antergos forums i can't edit a comment because of a referrer control extension and the page wants to know where i generate from. that's a blatant disregard for my privacy. also if i delete a comment it doesn't delete, it is marked for deletion .

there should be no micromanaging of users posts.

ps: and i should be able to use ADULT words like p.o.r.n but i guess we're in the company of children because if you do decide to use words like these they are auto-executed (execute meaning deleted not activated)

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:16 am

Hmmm, I was searching for a funny pic of a door hitting hind end on the way out. Well don't use duck go search on door hitting butt pic. I don't think It would go over too well.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

gomerpile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gomerpile » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Your missing out of all this great stuff. LOL

No stability, bugs, regressions, regressions and regressions: There's an incredible number of regressions (both in the kernel and in user space applications) when things which used to work break inexplicably; some of the regressions can even lead to data loss. Basically there is no quality control (QA/QC) nor regression testing in most Open Source projects (including the kernel) - Microsoft, for instance, reports that Windows 8 received 1,240,000,000 hours of testing whereas new kernel releases get, I guess, under 10,000 hours of testing - and every Linux kernel release is comparable to a new Windows version. Serious bugs which impede normal workflow can take years to be resolved. A lot of crucial hardware (e.g. GPUs, Wi-Fi cards) isn't properly supported. Both Linux 4.1.9/4.1.10, which are considered "stable" (moreover this kernel series is also LTS(!)), crash under any network load. confused??
Hardware issues: Under Linux many devices and device features are still poorly supported or not supported at all. Some hardware (e.g. Broadcom Wi-Fi adapters) cannot be used unless you already have a working Internet connection. New hardware often becomes supported months after introduction. Specialized software to manage devices like printers, scanners, cameras, webcams, audio players, smartphones, etc. almost always just doesn't exist - so you won't be able to fully control your new iPad and update firmware on your Galaxy SIII. Linux graphics support is a big bloody mess because kernel/X.org APIs/ABIs constantly change and NVIDIA/ATI/Broadcom/etc. companies don't want to allocate extra resources and waste their money just to keep up with an insane rate of changes in the Open Source software.
The lack of standardization, fragmentation, unwarranted & excessive variety, as well as no common direction or vision among different distros: Too many Linux distributions with incompatible and dissimilar configurations, packaging systems and incompatible libraries. Different distros employ totally different desktop environments, different graphical and console applications for configuring your computer settings. E.g. Debian-based distros oblige you to use the strictly text based `dpkg-reconfigure` utility for certain system-related maintenance tasks.
The lack of cooperation between open source developers, and internal wars: There's no central body to organize the development of different parts of the open source stack which often leads to a situation where one project introduces changes which break other projects (this problem is also reflected in "Unstable APIs/ABIs" below). Even though the Open Source movement lacks manpower, different Linux distros find enough resources to fork projects (Gentoo developers are going to develop a udev alternative; a discord in ffmpeg which led to the emergence of libav; a situation around OpenOffice/LibreOffice; a new X.org/Wayland alternative - Mir) and to use their own solutions.
A lot of rapid changes: Most Linux distros have very short upgrade/release cycles (as short as six months in some cases, or e.g. Arch which is a rolling distro, or Fedora which gets updated every six months), thus you are constantly bombarded with changes you don't expect or don't want. LTS (long term support) distros are in most cases unsuitable for the desktop user due to the policy of preserving application versions (and usually there's no officially approved way to install bleeding edge applications - please, don't remind me of PPAs and backports - these hacks are not officially supported, nor guaranteed to work). Another show-stopping problem for LTS distros is that LTS kernels often do not support new hardware.
Unstable APIs/ABIs & the lack of real compatibility: It's very difficult to use old open and closed source software in new distros (in many cases it becomes impossible due to changes in core Linux components like kernel, GCC or glibc). Almost non-existent backwards compatibility makes it incredibly difficult and costly to create closed source applications for Linux distros. Open Source software which doesn't have active developers or maintainers gets simply dropped if its dependencies cannot be satisfied because older libraries have become obsolete and they are no longer available. For this reason for instance a lot of KDE3/Qt3 applications are not available in modern Linux distros even though alternatives do not exist. Developing drivers out of the main Linux kernel tree is an excruciating and expensive chore. There's no WinSxS equivalent for Linux - thus there's no simple way to install conflicting libraries. In 2015 Debian dropped support for Linux Standard Base (LSB). Viva, incompatibility!
Software issues: Not that many games (mostly Indies) and few AAA games (Valve's efforts and collaboration with games developers have resulted in many recent games being released for Linux, however every year thousands of titles are still released for Windows exclusively*. More than 98% of existing and upcoming AAA titles are still unavailable in Linux). No familiar Windows software, no Microsoft Office (LibreOffice still has major troubles correctly opening Microsoft Office produced documents), no native CIFS (simple to configure and use, as well as password protected and encrypted network file sharing) equivalent, no Active Directory or its featurewise equivalent. Artem S. Tashkinov
Money, enthusiasm, motivation and responsibility: I predicted years ago that FOSS developers would start drifting away from the platform as FOSS is no longer a playground, it requires substantial effort and time, i.e. the fun is over, developers want real money to get the really hard work done. FOSS development, which lacks financial backing, shows its fatigue and disillusionment. The FOSS platform after all requires financially motivated developers as underfunded projects start to wane and critical bugs stay open for years. One could say "Good riddance", but the problem is that oftentimes those dying projects have no alternatives or similarly-featured successors.
Last edited by gomerpile on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm

gomerpile wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:28 pm
When you copy text from some other website and repost it elsewhere without crediting the source, it's called plagiarism.

PS: It's you're.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Mick-Cork
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mick-Cork » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm
gomerpile wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:28 pm
When you copy text from some other website and repost it elsewhere without crediting the source, it's called plagiarism.

PS: It's you're.
It'd probably be too embarrassing to credit the source. I've found the same rant posted on other sites as far back as 2012. Six years behind the times, at least.

Return to “Chat about Linux”