Light Linux Distributions for Old Computers

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Light Linux Distributions for Old Computers

Post by catweazel »

CrunchBang++
MX Linux
antiX
Vector Linux
Tiny Core Linux
Puppy Linux
SparkyLinux
Damn Small Linux
Porteus

Add your preferred light distro name with a URL. If you wish to list an Ubuntu LTS derivative, please ensure it's for older computers and not simply a light distro for more recent, light devices.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Light Linux Distributions for Old Computers

Post by thx-1138 »

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Q4OS A Debian based OS featuring the Trinity Desktop.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

It's probably a bit boring to say so, but I do think that even for an old computer, it's best to stay within the ecosystem of the Ubuntu LTS official flavours. Of those, Lubuntu is probably the most lightweight.

Nothing beats the advantages of the Ubuntu LTS codebase. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pjotr...i noted that you said,
Lubuntu is probably the most lightweight.
ive never distro hopped to that one but is it really lighter than peppermint 9, as a for instance, ...the reason i ask this is because on my 11 year old asus eee pc with just 1 gig of ram and an atom 1.66 ghz processor, (i purposely have not increased the ram on this so i can really stress it out), (i use this for testing only) i can comfortably run peppermint 9 and even stream videos without glitching as long as im not doing anything else at the same time...just wondering is all and if you have tried this distro as well...DAMIEN
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I use Lubuntu 18.04 on a similarly spec'ed netbook as your eeePc, and whilst not very fast, it is very usable.
On cold boot it uses about 150 - 170MB ram; I have no idea how lean Peppermint is so will have to leave you to deal with that comparison.

Generally the problem with low spec machines is the applications you use, not necessarily the OS/DE itself, so, for example, LibreOffice would be an unwise office-suite on that machine, and firefox or chromium may also be too heavy, though I'm not sure what other real choice you have, or what to use as a light web-browser.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Peppermint is based on Ubuntu but has elements from Mint, such as Mint's update manager. I've run both Lubuntu and Peppermint and much prefer the latter, as it has many more features and is nearly as lightweight. Peppermint combines elements of both LXDE and Xfce, but they are gradually shifting away from LXDE.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I have tested the following distros (in order of lightness) looking for the lightest 32-bit distro for my very old, single-core laptop:

- Puppy Xenial (stripped off of features to the point it's so inconvenient for use)
- Bodhi (could not make it to work on the actual machine it was intended for)
- antiX (I ended up using this one)
- LXLE
- Lubuntu
- Linux Mint Xfce 18.3
- MX
- Linux Lite
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:25 am LXLE
Thanks for posting that particular link. I took it for a spin. Nice, and it has Mint's driver manager too.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:40 pm It's probably a bit boring to say so, but I do think that even for an old computer, it's best to stay within the ecosystem of the Ubuntu LTS official flavours. Of those, Lubuntu is probably the most lightweight.

Nothing beats the advantages of the Ubuntu LTS codebase. :mrgreen:
It's not boring; after taking a look at some of the distros mentioned I think your point is valid.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:24 pm
thx-1138 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:25 am LXLE
Thanks for posting that particular link. I took it for a spin. Nice, and it has Mint's driver manager too.
very nice, clean install on VB... feels good.
a nice package for smaller PCs.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

kenetics wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm Peppermint is based on Ubuntu but has elements from Mint, such as Mint's update manager. ...
That's intriguing ...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”