Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Chat about Linux in general
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by jelabarre59 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:27 am

I think it's time to make a Cinnamon fork of Gnome-Terminal. The Gnome devs, in their infinite arrogance, removed the ability to manually set titles on tabs. I've been working with RHEL at work, which still has a version that hasn't been kneecapped, so it wasn't until this week I had need for titles at home. You can imaging just how angered I was that the system design "geniuses" at the Gnome project decided it was unacceptable to be able to make the terminal application actually usable by removing a very useful function. :x :x :x :x :x

What next? Will they decide you shouldn't be allowed to type in a terminal window, and will force you to use a pop-up on-screen keyboard to type commands? Every release the Gnome folks show just how much they are a bunch of Microsoft-wannabees.

Perhaps a Cinnamon fork of it could go back and see just what other boneheaded decisions the Gnome devs have done, and undo them as well.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by smurphos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:37 am

There's already a pre-made fork that retains that functionality - apt install mate-terminal

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by xenopeek » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 am

New terminals seem to pop up weekly. Hardly a case to be made for a Cinnamon specific fork just to add titles. Time spent on that would mean less time spent on other parts of Cinnamon, while plenty of other terminals would meet your needs.

I can set terminal titles on Gnome Terminal 3.30.1 with something like echo -ne "\033]0;hello world\007" to set title to "hello world" but I guess you mean through GUI.

I'm using Tilix https://gnunn1.github.io/tilix-web/ for its easy multiple panes and better multiple sessions features, it does let you click to edit the terminal title.

Return to “Chat about Linux”