Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by jelabarre59 »

I think it's time to make a Cinnamon fork of Gnome-Terminal. The Gnome devs, in their infinite arrogance, removed the ability to manually set titles on tabs. I've been working with RHEL at work, which still has a version that hasn't been kneecapped, so it wasn't until this week I had need for titles at home. You can imaging just how angered I was that the system design "geniuses" at the Gnome project decided it was unacceptable to be able to make the terminal application actually usable by removing a very useful function. :x :x :x :x :x

What next? Will they decide you shouldn't be allowed to type in a terminal window, and will force you to use a pop-up on-screen keyboard to type commands? Every release the Gnome folks show just how much they are a bunch of Microsoft-wannabees.

Perhaps a Cinnamon fork of it could go back and see just what other boneheaded decisions the Gnome devs have done, and undo them as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by smurphos »

There's already a pre-made fork that retains that functionality - apt install mate-terminal
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Time to fork Gnome-Terminal

Post by xenopeek »

New terminals seem to pop up weekly. Hardly a case to be made for a Cinnamon specific fork just to add titles. Time spent on that would mean less time spent on other parts of Cinnamon, while plenty of other terminals would meet your needs.

I can set terminal titles on Gnome Terminal 3.30.1 with something like echo -ne "\033]0;hello world\007" to set title to "hello world" but I guess you mean through GUI.

I'm using Tilix https://gnunn1.github.io/tilix-web/ for its easy multiple panes and better multiple sessions features, it does let you click to edit the terminal title.

Return to “Chat about Linux”