What do you like about KDE?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

What do you like about KDE?

Post by rick gen »

...which Mint's team already dropped.
Just wondering what its advantages to you are.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What do you like about KDE?

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 am ...which Mint's team already dropped.
Lots of options to twiddle, fast and responsive, the list goes on. At the moment I'm running kubuntu-desktop on top of unubtu server. It's stable and looks great.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Yeah, I agree. It offers lots of unique features some distro's don't.
But I needed something simpler like Cinnamon or Xfce.
I can't give up KDE (in the form of latest Kubuntu) because its native PDF reader is so much faster than Cinnamon's, Xfce's, and probably many others.
Try comparing them with KDE's by browsing a large sized PDF.
KDE is so much faster when it comes to PDF reading.
(I've noticed this difference long time ago.)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 am I can't give up KDE (in the form of latest Kubuntu) because its native PDF reader is so much faster than Cinnamon's, Xfce's, and probably many others.
Try comparing them with KDE's by browsing a large sized PDF.
KDE is so much faster when it comes to PDF reading.
sudo apt install okular will install it to Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:48 amsudo apt install okular will install it to Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce.
LOL. Seems I can give up KDE now.
(Not yet though.)
So Okular is so much faster than these other viewers.
So I'm now wondering why Cinnamon, Xfce, etc., prefer making this slow ass molasses reader as their default PDF brower.
Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 am So I'm now wondering why Cinnamon, Xfce, etc., prefer making this slow ass molasses as their default PDF brower.
Thanks!
They're probably using the Mint viewer, I dare say.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't find Okular any faster really than Eclipse but Eclipse chokes on many pdfs, Okular doesn't.

Why do I like KDE? The best file manager I've ever used. Just as an example, it will open folders with apps like Audacious or Sound Converter which is great for media use because you don't need to create playlist files of ripped CD tracks.

It's the only DE I know of with decent Android integration built in.

Despite being powerful almost to a fault ... there are a lot of features I don't use ... it uses barely more RAM than Xfce. As mentioned, you can configure many things from GUI level that any other DE would have you twiddling with system files.

Frankly I find it makes all the other DEs I've used seem a bit amateurish.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

How do I install Eclipse reader in Linux?
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 am I don't find Okular any faster really than Eclipse but Eclipse chokes on many pdfs, Okular doesn't.
It loads so much faster in my system compared to Cinnamon/Xfce's default reader.
Especially in older dual-core systems with 4GB or less ram like in my laptop.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

I really like KDE. Its a different base qt vs gtk and so has some nice alternative ways of doing things. I like trying different menu configs etc and have really good control of deskop monitor/tv control, particularly high DPI mode has more granular control than cinnamon. Its snappy. I mostly use that computer as a home entertainment system with Kodi, steam etc. I'm using 'folder' view which is really nice for making links. It seems to have better control than cinnamon with icon appearance, size, placement. I like the Dolphin file manager. I did have to install samba but that was simple, but sharing files (its becoming a media server) is rather simple. I'm not trying to say its better than LM Cinnamon or anything but has its advantages. I'm using KDE on Majnaro (an arch derivative). I first just wanted to widen my base and learn more of Arch since its on the other spectrum from debian/ubuntu/mint point release with rolling release instead of the use of older backported LTS kernels with their graphics drivers, to Arch's up-to date rolling release though I do use Manjaro's tested kernels...mostly. Fun exercise anyway.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:14 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 am I don't find Okular any faster really than Eclipse but Eclipse chokes on many pdfs, Okular doesn't.
It loads so much faster in my system compared to Cinnamon/Xfce's default reader.
Especially in older dual-core systems with 4GB or less ram like in my laptop.
I've run both Xfce including Eclipse and KDE (Okular) on a machine like that, didn''t ever notice any speed difference. I still say Okular is the only Linux pdf reader I've ised that's any damn good.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am How do I install Eclipse reader in Linux?
If you use any other Mint version except for KDE you should already have it. Mint/Ubuntu don't show the actual program names for many of the preinstalled apps, just their function. Go to application manu, open "Document Viewer", go to help > about. It should say it's Eclipse. Unless they changed that in 19 of course, but I dont think so.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The default has been Xreader, Mint's Xapp fork of Atril since Mint 18.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:31 amIf you use any other Mint version except for KDE you should already have it. Mint/Ubuntu don't show the actual program names for many of the preinstalled apps, just their function. Go to application manu, open "Document Viewer", go to help > about. It should say it's Eclipse. Unless they changed that in 19 of course, but I dont think so.
It says Xreader.
The speed difference, at least in my systems, is very distinguishable.
Of course, I'm talking about large-sized PDF files full of images.
Xreader notifies: Loading... on every single page.
This is not the case in Okular.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Mostly there are two things that make KDE a good choice where it seems to have an advantage over other DE's

It actually does multi-line taskbars properly without hours of having to fiddle and sometimes STILL not getting it to work even at all.

It has a (even if weak) emphasis on touchscreen without sacrificing desktop function..... death to gnome and it's campaign to dumb us all down.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rick gen wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 pm It says Xreader.
The speed difference, at least in my systems, is very distinguishable.
Of course, I'm talking about large-sized PDF files full of images.
Xreader notifies: Loading... on every single page.
This is not the case in Okular.
I just use my browser as a PDF reader........and as my mail client, my calendar app, my contacts app, my VNC client........ :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

rick gen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 am ...which Mint's team already dropped.
Much like Gnome 3.x, KDE had the potential to be made to look as nice and professional and aesthetically pleasing as any commercial OS. It certainly has piles and piles of features,.

That's about all I can say positively about KDE. As executed, I'm simply not a fan. I'm potentially a fan of Qt, but that would take others like Clem, or Ikey of the Solus project, to implement their desktop OSs using it for me to decide whether I like It itself or not.

I've really not been a big fan of the Gnome Project after that huge, GNU+Linux community split when they released 3.0. Their focus and direction is not, I wouldn't think, endearing them to the community, as DEs like Cinnamon and MATE demonstrate.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”