Installing Linux on a "dead" laptop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DorAD

Installing Linux on a "dead" laptop

Post by DorAD »

My laptop recently blue screened due to a missing or corrupt winload.efi file. I know this is repairable but I've wanted to start learning about Linux for a while and figured this would be a great opportunity for me to do so. Would someone mind showing me how or showing me where I can learn how to install the OS on my computer. I'd like to keep my files in tact but I don't think it'd be beneficial. Any help would be appreciated greatly!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Installing Linux on a "dead" laptop

Post by AZgl1800 »

Download an ISO of your choice,

for fastest speed, put the ISO on a USB Stick

or, just write the ISO to a DVD.

boot up the ISO until you get to the Desktop Live Session.

once there, assuming you are using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, you can activate NEMO, the file manager with ALT-E ( alt-e) and then you can cruise thru the existing file systems on the laptop's hard drive.
Or just click on the HOME icon, or use the Menu....

have a USB HDD attached so that you can copy off the files you want to the extHDD.
( the extHDD should be formatted to NTSF so that both Windows and Linux can read/write )

once you have every thing copied off, the HDD, click on INSTALL icon, and then tell it to Erase the Disk totally and let it rip.

you will be very happy with the results.
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DorAD.

There is a difference between a dead laptop and a dead Windows operating system. :wink:
In case the laptop were dead trying to install any operating system would be a futile effort.
In case only your Windows operating system is dead, but your laptop is technically alive, it will be possible to install Linux Mint on it.
Please, find the details on how to download and install Linux Mint here: Linux Mint Installation Guide.

About your wish to keep your files:
As always in such cases, backup your important data to an external backup medium. This should be a regular exercise anyway. Else your data do not seem to matter too much.

Good luck,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

Hard to back up files within a dead OS. But with a live usb linux, easy peasy. More basicly, you can download the linux os, create a bootible usb, put that into the dead computer, boot (have to set boot from usb in the bios) and go. Copy files to wherever. Then install the new os from the usb. All the parts to this flow are in the newb forum but might want to research a bit. Instructions for ubuntu will generally be the same as mint. Can also take the HD out and put it into an hd box which you brows from another computer.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
DorAD

Post by DorAD »

Thanks everyone! It's been a busy week so I haven't tried anything yet. Just wanted to let y'all know I appreciate the help. I'll post again once I get the OS installed (or, more likely, need help again lol)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Post Away :D

restoring Dead Laptop's are an regular occurrence around these parts.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”