Linux Kernel releases?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Kernel releases?

Post by ImpWarfare »

So since 3.x era of the versioning scheme when do you think the Kernel reaches 8.0 or beyond? Will they ever keep the 3.x versioning for future releases? I reckon in the 2020s the Linux Kernel 8.0 will be out but what do you think? I sometimes like to think ahead!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
gm10

Re: Linux Kernel releases?

Post by gm10 »

Following usual release cycles, come 2020 we'll be at a 5.x kernel series. The current release is 4.19, so your 3.x is way behind.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

gm10 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 am Following usual release cycles, come 2020 we'll be at a 5.x kernel series. The current release is 4.19, so your 3.x is way behind.
The 3.16 is a LTS kernel (see here). "way behind" is just for those who hunt version numbers.
DarkCerberus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:39 am So since 3.x era of the versioning scheme when do you think the Kernel reaches 8.0 or beyond? Will they ever keep the 3.x versioning for future releases? I reckon in the 2020s the Linux Kernel 8.0 will be out but what do you think? I sometimes like to think ahead!
The version number is a rough measure for the number of git objects. Version 3 came with roughly 2 million, Version 4 with roughly 4 million. People expect(ed) that Version 5 came with 6 million (or with 8 million if you think it doubles each time). However, Linus made it clear that for him version numbers themselves are kind of meaningless, i.e. it does not matter if it is called Kernel 5.0 or Kernel 4.20. Therefore, I think, we might not see Version 8 for another 5 decades :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schallaven wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm The 3.16 is a LTS kernel (see here). "way behind" is just for those who hunt version numbers.
That's quite the feat there taking me out of context in a 2 post thread asking about version numbers for future releases. Good job. :D
Schallaven wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm The version number is a rough measure for the number of git objects. Version 3 came with roughly 2 million, Version 4 with roughly 4 million. People expect(ed) that Version 5 came with 6 million (or with 8 million if you think it doubles each time). However, Linus made it clear that for him version numbers themselves are kind of meaningless, i.e. it does not matter if it is called Kernel 5.0 or Kernel 4.20. Therefore, I think, we might not see Version 8 for another 5 decades :D
Well, he basically announced that he'll switch on or before 4.20 again: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/6/3/142
And yes, he's back in charge for the next one.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I suspect that around 4.20 - which is I run out of fingers and toes to keep track of minor releases, and thus start getting mightily confused - I'll switch over.
We need to get Linus an abacus :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”