Top Linux Distros (based on Netcraft toolbar)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Top Linux Distros (based on Netcraft toolbar)

Post by mediclaser »

Below is "The List" of top Linux distros in order of popularity (according to my source):

1. Kali Linux
2. CentOS
3. Ubuntu
4. Debian
5. Red Hat
6. Linux Mint
7. Arch Linux
8. FreeBSD
9. Manjaro
10. openSUSE
11. Fedora
12. Gentoo
13. elementary OS
14. Ubuntu MATE
15. Kubuntu
16. Zorin OS
17. KDE neon
18. Xubuntu
19. MX Linux
20. Slackware

I was actually expecting something close to the list from DistroWatch. Is this even close to what you guys think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Top Linux Distros

Post by all41 »

We've talked about this many times here. The general consensus is 'depends on who you ask'----so
who did you ask :?:

Good opinions here:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=268933&hilit=manjaro
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mediclaser wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 pm Is this even close to what you guys think?
To be honest, and certainly not to be dismissive, many of us simply don't care. The subject has been done to death.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Kali #1, and Manjaro #9? I'd get another source. :wink:

[Technically, #8 FreeBSD isn't a Linux distro.]
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This sounds suspiciously like a famous 90s Toilet Duck commercial; "We, the people at Kali Linux, recommend Kali Linux." Your source must be counting popularity among penetration testers :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Why list separate Ubuntu DE's but not do the same for the others?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Because those are separate distributions.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Schultz wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm Kali #1, and Manjaro #9? I'd get another source. :wink:

[Technically, #8 FreeBSD isn't a Linux distro.]
:lol: Agreed. Kali +1? Not a hope in hell. Is this another case of someone thinking Distrowatch rankings mewan something? Because they don't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Where did you find this list?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Windows 10 is number 1 :mrgreen:
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Netcraft toolbar is the source of this ranking. I checked the site rankings given by Netcraft to the main and forum websites of the distros listed in DistroWatch. I compiled them in a spreadsheet and sorted them by their Netcraft ranking. ;)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So, more like Top Linux Distro Forums, then. :P

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 pm So, more like Top Linux Distro Forums, then. :P
At least I know it's less skewed compared to the ranking based on distro page click counts in DistroWatch site. ;)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

How about? We take a survey of all the members here to see which is the best Distro? :wink:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

mediclaser wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 pm At least I know it's less skewed compared to the ranking based on distro page click counts in DistroWatch site. ;)
Not really - they are a web security company The metrics are measuring the most visited sites by people with the Netcraft browser add-on installed. So not a very representative sample and given the nature of their business likely skewed towards those with an interest in security/hacking etc - hence the prominence of Kali in the results.

From - https://toolbar.netcraft.com/help/faq/i ... ml#privacy
Will Netcraft know which pages I visit?
No — Netcraft has no way of knowing which pages an individual user visits when using the Extension. We do, however, collect the hostnames of the websites visited by our users in order to provide website popularity ranking information.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Faust

Post by Faust »

smurphos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:11 am ...... So not a very representative sample and given the nature of their business likely skewed towards those with an interest in security/hacking etc - hence the prominence of Kali in the results.
I was about to mention skewing and the "bling" factor , ie. what is currently getting public attention , and why .

The TV series "Mr Robot " must surely be a factor in Kali's high hit rating .
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Or how many people struggle to use it and need to visit the forum for support... :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

smurphos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am Or how many people struggle to use it and need to visit the forum for support... :wink:
Those are my thoughts too. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

smurphos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:11 am ...likely skewed towards those with an interest in security/hacking etc - hence the prominence of Kali in the results.
Bingo!
On the other hand, isn't security the main reason people switch to Linux? Is it possible people who learn more about Linux eventually try Kali? I personally can't imagine myself going that route though, even if I become good in Linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mediclaser wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pm On the other hand, isn't security the main reason people switch to Linux?
Being secure is not the same as studying security. Many people switch to Linux because they want a system that is more secure; that doesn't mean they all want to learn how (this specific type of) hacking works.
mediclaser wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pmIs it possible people who learn more about Linux eventually try Kali?
Of course. But not all of them. Not by a long shot.

Return to “Chat about Linux”