IBM to buy Red Hat

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: The IBM purchase of Red hat

Post by KBD47 »

photonfanatic wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 pm I didn't see another thread related to this topic, so if there is one, please post me a link to it. If not, I just have a couple of questions that maybe someone here can answer. I may not have always used linux, but its safe to say that I've always been a fan. And thus, I find this news to be kind of depressing. You don't get a purchase without influence bleeding through. Doesn't happen. Might be fine for a little while, but eventually things always change. So my question would be:

Does it really matter? In the end, I mean. It would seem that the big corporations are trying to circle the wagons against the linux onslaught. And while any one of them isn't powerful enough to stop it, if they meet behind closed doors and they all team up (as they so often like to do) then they certainly can. It does appear they are doing this. Microsoft, IBM, Valve, Google, and others are getting in on this, buying up chunks like we see with this latest IBM purchase. But, since we're dealing with GNU and Linux, is there really any way they can ever stop the distros? I would think that the answer is no. Cause by license it must always remain free. And it will always be open source. So anybody anywhere could just pop out a new distro, (say if Canonical goes away) and it could be a great distro. It seems like if they don't control the license, then in the end they really don't control anything.

Thoughts? Opinions?
The good news is that community based distros aren't going anywhere. It's why I started a thread awhile back arguing that Mint should move completely to Debian and be done with it :) Ubuntu is flakey and no one knows what they might do, though Shuttleworth is likely to sell it IMHO.
Debian is going to be around forever though, and no one can buy it. Mint has hedged its bets by keeping LMDE alive, I just wish they would do the inevitable and go full on with it :)
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: IBM to buy Red Hat

Post by thx-1138 »

Return to “Chat about Linux”