IBM to buy Red Hat

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

Re: IBM to buy Red Hat

Post by michael louwe »

Many companies are still running Win 7 Ent which is due to EOL in Jan 2020. Extended support from M$ post-2020 for Win 7 Ent will cost a bomb. Some such companies may be averse to upgrading to the much more costly Win 10 Ent in Jan 2020. So, Red Hat Ent Linux is poised to gain a lot of marketshare in the Enterprise at around Jan 2020. This is likely one of the main reasons Red Hat Inc has been acquired and at a big premium.

Google only paid US$50 million to acquire Android, a Linux derivative, in 2005.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Cost of OS Win 10 is nothing comparing summ of all another windows software installed in whole company.
Nobody will switch to "IBHEL" because nothing will run on it. Please, don't say seriously "Libre office", GIMP, e.t.c.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

IBM tried with OS/2 back in the 90's, this could also be the death knell for Red Hat. It's a pity because OS/2 was a better alternative that Windwoes 3.11 and '95 back then.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This isn;t a great surprise. IBM's links with Microsoft are overblown these days. IBM has actually been selling and supporting Linux systems for years. There's a guy around here who used to work for IBM and all he did was Linux support, and he was one of many. They sell medium to large turnkey service and Linux is great for that.

It'll make IBM very influential in Linux because RHEL already is. It's the only major distro that has a develeoper staff that's actually paid.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Funny article over at zdnet:
"As a Red Hat employee, almost everyone here would prefer it if we were bought out by Microsoft."
Now in fairness that was probably Earl who was forced to work on RHELs Samba implementation because of "inappropriate" behavior at last years company Christmas party.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:15 am
michael louwe wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:23 am All Linux desktop OS users should then unite behind Fedora/CentOS.
<mind image of snow in hell>
After 26 years, it's already proven that the free non-commercial Linux desktop OS which is fragmented/disunited, does not work in the mass market place = a minuscule world marketshare of about 2% = no or lack of support from software/game developers and OEMs. Something's gonna give, in order for Linux desktop to break through the Windows(M$).
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

BigEasy wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am Cost of OS Win 10 is nothing comparing summ of all another windows software installed in whole company.
That's because Windows has dominated the business software world since its market-monopoly in the 1990s. Most business software and top games are not available for Linux due to its minuscule world marketshare = "Winner takes all". If IBM's Red Hat Ent Linux and CentOS/Fedora can win against M$-Windows-10, they too will dominate the business software world and top games. It can be done, eg Google Android won against Windows Phone/Win 10 Mobile.

Of course, if M$ responds to the OP topic by returning Win 10 to the previous Win 7 model, ie no more forced auto-updates/upgrades, Windows will continue its dominance and market-monopoly. If so, I'll be going back to the new Win 10, unless Linux desktop changes for the better, even though it will cost me about US$30 for the license of a new OEM Win 10 Home computer.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I imagine that if Microsoft had bought Red Hat, it would result in a mass exodus to other bases .. and I would think Microsoft also has this in mind.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Remember when Thinkpads used to be made by IBM? I don't believe IBM cares a whit about desktop computing anymore. Nor did they do anything but assure the ruin of the once great OpenOffice. So I am not as cheerful about this acquisition as some. Especially as Debian and Ubuntu can never think for themselves but always follow Redhat's lead, and who can guess where Redhat is headed now?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Wow, you guys are quick. I just hit the news on this today.

Like many of you, after thinking on it a bit, I chose to welcome the news. I'm not sure how that will spread desktop usage, but maybe in time it will, since the top 500 servers in the world all run Linux now. What could be better than having desktop OS that interface with the same type of server system? It's a step in the right direction, and who knows, maybe IBM will look at putting out or giving financial aid to further Linux desktop developments.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

KBD47 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 amI don't believe IBM cares a whit about desktop computing anymore.
Everybody seems to be about cloud these days.
KBD47 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 amNor did [IBM] do anything but assure the ruin of the once great OpenOffice.
That's falsifying history a bit. Oracle killed OpenOffice. Because IBM had longer-term commitments for OpenOffice towards its clients they required Oracle not to just throw the code away but find a new host (Apache Foundation) for it and IBM kept its developers working on it. Without IBM, Oracle would have ended OpenOffice (Mortal Kombat style) years earlier. It's Oracle's handling of OpenOffice that lead to exodus of developers and founding and rise to dominance of LibreOffice. What original work IBM developers continued to add to OpenOffice was ultimately contributed back to LibreOffice as well.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:10 pm
KBD47 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 amNor did [IBM] do anything but assure the ruin of the once great OpenOffice.
That's falsifying history a bit. Oracle killed OpenOffice. Because IBM had longer-term commitments for OpenOffice towards its clients they required Oracle not to just throw the code away but find a new host (Apache Foundation) for it and IBM kept its developers working on it. Without IBM, Oracle would have ended OpenOffice (Mortal Kombat style) years earlier. It's Oracle's handling of OpenOffice that lead to exodus of developers and founding and rise to dominance of LibreOffice. What original work IBM developers continued to add to OpenOffice was ultimately contributed back to LibreOffice as well.
Yes, Oracle is mostly to blame, but IBM played a part in its demise.
Developers working for IBM were responsible for 60 percent of the changes in OpenOffice, and IBM has been de-emphasizing this work for some time.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2977112 ... suite.html

https://www.itworld.com/article/2735677 ... curb-.html
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

With all the other developers moving over to LibreOffice because of Oracle's handling, I have a hard time blaming IBM for not sticking with OpenOffice as the cause for its demise. I mean, you can only go against the flow for so long.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm With all the other developers moving over to LibreOffice because of Oracle's handling, I have a hard time blaming IBM for not sticking with OpenOffice as the cause for its demise. I mean, you can only go against the flow for so long.
I just question IBM's commitment to anything.
And then you have one very old dying company (IBM) buying a young vibrant thriving company (Redhat) and it seldom ends well.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ibm-still ... ese-years/
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Open Office, Libre Office, anyone remember Star Office when Sun Microsystems had it? I still have an old version 5 copy they gave away free when Sun was taking it over.

LATER:
Can't find the old 5.2 online, but didn't look longer after finding version 7 for free. I wonder if it still works in Linux after kernel 2.2 versions?

http://www.staroffice.org/get.php
http://www.staroffice.org/SO7/so-7-ga-e ... _GUIDE.PDF
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 am This isn;t a great surprise. IBM's links with Microsoft are overblown these days. IBM has actually been selling and supporting Linux systems for years. There's a guy around here who used to work for IBM and all he did was Linux support, and he was one of many. They sell medium to large turnkey service and Linux is great for that.

It'll make IBM very influential in Linux because RHEL already is. It's the only major distro that has a develeoper staff that's actually paid.
When I worked for IBM 10 years ago, they were fully engaged in the Linux desktop. Most of my coworkers were using RHEL on their laptops and all of our non-AIX servers were using it as well. I can only imagine how much more they are using it now.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Who thinks Ubuntu is next?
The pressure will build for them to sell now after this Redhat deal.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There's no pressure to sell. The US has seen an acceleration of acquisition activity in 2018 in both number of deals and size of transactions. Technology acquisitions are on trend right now. Sounds like what's happening here. That said, there might be parties interested in purchasing Canonical. Don't know if you can pressure a private company.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

R.I.P., Red Hat.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm There's no pressure to sell. The US has seen an acceleration of acquisition activity in 2018 in both number of deals and size of transactions. Technology acquisitions are on trend right now. Sounds like what's happening here. That said, there might be parties interested in purchasing Canonical. Don't know if you can pressure a private company.
Canonicial has been sidling up next to Microsoft. And Ubuntu has based its business model exactly on the Redhat model. I'm only surprised that Redhat sold first.

Return to “Chat about Linux”