Tiny icons in none-native apps in Cinnamon desktop with Fedora 28

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IanPul

Tiny icons in none-native apps in Cinnamon desktop with Fedora 28

Post by IanPul »

Hi.

I'm using Fedora 28 and recently switched from Gnome to the Cinnamon desktop. Much better, very happy to have done this, except for one problem. This is on a new laptop with a very high resolution screen. I have a few 3rd-party commercial applications that I use, and the icons in all of them are tiny. "Native" apps like Evolution look great, as does Firefox, with the icons sized correctly, but I use SlickEdit and Scooter Software's BeyondCompare, and in both the toolbar icons are very small and very hard to see. I also use the Perforce source-control visual client, and its toolbar icons are also small, but in this case with very tiny images that are pretty much unreadable. If I log into Gnome these apps all display with their icons sized correctly, so this is some problem specific to Cinnamon.

I am using the Mint-X Aqua theme for desktop and controls, and Adwaita for icons. But I've tried multiple different themes and none make any difference.

One other less serious issue is that the text with the icons on the Cinnamon desktop is white (almost - actually #EEEEEE which is GTK's default color) and I can't get that to change by altering any of the relevant settings in the theme's .css files. This means that I need to use a dark background image with it - the text is readable with a white background because of the shadow, but looks ugly. I found a bunch of forum posts about this in older Cinnamon versions, which was due to missing a ".nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item" entry in the theme files, but the versions that I have do include that (and changing it makes no difference). I even tried adding it again in the theme's gtk.css, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Ian

P.S. I realize that this is a Mint forum and the above is related to Cinnamon in Fedora, but this is really a Cinnamon question and this is the only Cinnamon specific forum that I can find. I already tried posting this at fedoraforum.org and got no response, and this is a cross posting from that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Tiny icons in none-native apps in Cinnamon desktop with Fedora 28

Post by catweazel »

IanPul wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm Any ideas?
Hi. These are support forums for Linux Mint. Cinnamon is merely a component of Linux Mint. Your query is better suited in the Fedora forums: https://fedoraforum.org/

The Cinnamon github page is here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
IanPul wrote:P.S. I realize that this is a Mint forum and the above is related to Cinnamon in Fedora, but this is really a Cinnamon question and this is the only Cinnamon specific forum that I can find. I already tried posting this at fedoraforum.org and got no response, and this is a cross posting from that.
That's something you need to take up with the fedora forums.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

First issue - are these QT apps?

2nd issue - this is now hard-coded and not under theme control. See - https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1658
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
IanPul

Post by IanPul »

Yes, after a quick check, the three apps that show the problem, SlickEdit, Perforce p4v and BeyondCompare, are all built with QT.

And thanks for the reference on the desktop icon text.

Return to “Chat about Linux”