Have someone here tested Elementary?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Have someone here tested Elementary?

Post by alquimista »

Hi,

I tested latest version of Elementary OS... Versión 5.in a VM was terribly slow with the default ram setting. I tested it with then booting from a DVD... When testing the browser, playing a video from the internet... The system crashed... All got frozen. Got to reset the PC. I have tested several distros... First with so many issues
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Have someone here tested Elementary?

Post by xenopeek »

I run it on 2 GB RAM in VirtualBox without problems. Well, noticed some papercuts but nothing like the problems you describe or related to RAM. I've only acquainted myself a bit with what's new though. If you tried it with 512 MB RAM or less I can imagine why it would be slow; should give it at least 1 GB RAM I think.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Not a fan of OSX look and feel with huge icons at the bottom middle.
I prefer a task bar on the bottom, start menu on the bottom left corner, etc.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

I have installed it on one of my partitions. Now it's working fine... Testing now
gm10

Post by gm10 »

It came pre-installed on my Asus notebook. It's a nice consistent design through all default tools, which are all rather light-weight. Overall the distribution is not what I'm looking for but in particular for new users on a tablet or something I'm sure it's a nice user experience.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

I have tested it.
Has nice functions... But is from my perspective, very flat... Not very configurable, very black and white... Some non official apps juts don't work well (like VLC), is very slow loading apps like thunderbird or Firefox, sound quality is not very good. There are additional command line configurations needed to have libre office looking decent... Etc
Not my pick of base OS by now
Rampant Panda

Post by Rampant Panda »

I tried it. Runs pretty fast, looks pretty pretty. Finally I decided to replace it because I just wanted to be able to customize things (until they break), and that wasn't really doable.

But, my issues are really minor ones. I think it was a good distro that doesn't get in the way of getting stuff done.
Last edited by Rampant Panda on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It's a good distro but I got frustrated with the lack of ability to customize it in the ways I like. So did not keep it long.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Chat about Linux”