System76 Thelio desktops

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

System76 Thelio desktops

Post by JoeFootball »

Beautiful new Linux desktops, with not so beautiful prices (for me), but lovely to admire...

https://system76.com/desktops

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: System76 Thelio desktops

Post by Portreve »

So basically they are competing against Apple, or at least whomever else occupies the boutique computer space. That's cool.

Honestly, I wanted one of their systems for a while, and I've always heard good things, but these days, what with all the scandals, I want equipment where I don't have to worry about how secure it truly is, which is why my next laptop will most likely be one from Purism.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 pmthey are competing against Apple
In what way? Nothing Apple offers comes even a little close to Thelio.

For fun I maxed out the Thelio:
  • two 28-core CPUs (56 cores total; 112 threads) running at 2.5 to 3.8 GHz
  • 768 GB ECC RAM
  • 46 TB superfast NVMe storage + 32 TB SSD storage (total 78 TB storage)
  • four Titan V GPUs
  • two 27" displays
  • keyboard + mouse + desktop monitors
  • 3 year warranty
Comes in at a cool $82,649 or "pay as low as $2777/month." :lol: Completely ridiculous of course aside from for professional use (for rendering probably?).

A maxed out Mac Pro cost "just" $9,755 or just over a tenth of Thelio. Gets you about a fifth of the CPU cores, less than a tenth of the RAM at about half the speed, half the GPUs and they are not half as powerful apiece, and just over 1% of the storage capacity.

Thelio makes the Mac Pro look like a kids' toy. :o
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Portreve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 pm So basically they are competing against Apple
Well, they'll win that battle now, I bet: Apple blocks Linux on new Macs with T2 security chips

As far as Linux is concerned, I mean.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 pm So basically they are competing against Apple, or at least whomever else occupies the boutique computer space. That's cool.

Honestly, I wanted one of their systems for a while, and I've always heard good things, but these days, what with all the scandals, I want equipment where I don't have to worry about how secure it truly is, which is why my next laptop will most likely be one from Purism.
Scandals? Tell me more please, because I, too, am looking at a System 76 system at some point in the coming year, most likely an Oryx Pro, or Galago Pro system as my daily laptop.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MrEen wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:34 pm
Portreve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 pm So basically they are competing against Apple
Well, they'll win that battle now, I bet: Apple blocks Linux on new Macs with T2 security chips

Between this, and the chip making repairs impossible except at Apple repair shops isn't that illegal? It certainly is unethical IMHO.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 amScandals? Tell me more please, because I, too, am looking at a System 76 system at some point in the coming year, most likely an Oryx Pro, or Galago Pro system as my daily laptop.
I don't mean System76 has scandals associated with it; I mean given what we know thanks to Ed Snowden, et al, about standard computers and computer components. Purism specifically designs systems around componentry with open firmware and no back doors and physical cutoff switches, etc.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 am
MrEen wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Between this, and the chip making repairs impossible except at Apple repair shops isn't that illegal? It certainly is unethical IMHO.
I have very little use for Apple at this point. I wish Alphabet (nee Google) would put out a watch of the same caliber as the Apple Watch. It has many legitimately good and useful features, and it's a shame they're effectively trapped within Apple's walled garden.

I have to buy what I can afford, though I would strongly prefer to buy a Purism laptop (as I said earlier). If I can budget for one, that's precisely what I'll buy. Otherwise, I'll likely go with some kind of fairly rugged laptop, perhaps a ThinkPad or something else which the community here might recommend.

For the moment, my 2011 MBP suffices, but I need a better graphics card and a few other modern things.

ud6

Post by ud6 »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:56 pm Beautiful new Linux desktops, with not so beautiful prices (for me), but lovely to admire...

https://system76.com/desktops

Joe
I think the prices are pretty good, though UK electronics and media always seems to be much more expensive than USA. They really look good and love the design options.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 amScandals? Tell me more please, because I, too, am looking at a System 76 system at some point in the coming year, most likely an Oryx Pro, or Galago Pro system as my daily laptop.
I don't mean System76 has scandals associated with it; I mean given what we know thanks to Ed Snowden, et al, about standard computers and computer components. Purism specifically designs systems around componentry with open firmware and no back doors and physical cutoff switches, etc.
Ah, good point, thanks for the clarification.

Return to “Chat about Linux”