MS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: MS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?

Post by xenopeek »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:38 am There are a number of large corporations who work on the Kernel Project, and Microsoft has been one of the top contributors for years.
I already replied to your earlier comment on the same, showing it to be false and untrue: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=281329#p1551247. I supplied facts to show why this is a false and untrue statement. Back up your claim that "Microsoft has been one of the top contributors for years" with facts. It's not.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

The proof I would like to see is MS just go away :wink:
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

rene wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 am ................................
No. But what can and did happen for the "Fall Creators Update" of autumn 2017 is the update inserting some form of restore partition in between Windows and Linux partitions, causing the first stage of GRUB on an MBR systems to potentially fail to locate its second stage and, thus, drop the user to a rescue prompt. Or reset the boot- order on a UEFI system to boot directly into Windows, re-enable secure and/or fast boot --- and/or all of the above.

It's basically expected that any major Windows update will bugger your bootloader but that's never been different either. That is, although you may need to be fairly technically competent to be able to unbugger, actual partitions being destroyed has never happened other than as a result of user error.
Thanks for that explanation; I understand it.
This confirms my decision to keep my existing Win7 for offline use only. I use it for one airfoil design program and for a automotive service manual I have on CD. I suppose one day I will have to connect to the net again, but I will not enabling updates of the Win7 operating system.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Esbeeb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 amMS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?
None. I would see Microsoft bankrupt. That's the only thing I want to see Microsoft do, for anybody.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Wompoo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:00 am I suppose one day I will have to connect to the net again, but I will not enabling updates of the Win7 operating system.
For Windows 7 I would in fact advise to go full automatic wrt. updates. Bootbuggering happens on truly major updates the likes of which Windows 7 will not be seeing any more: last time it overwrote my MBR was W7 to W7SP1. Regular updates are not an issue.

The W7 system I still have up is (now) a secondary system for some gaming and "average consumer-grade entertainment" by a few children who'll click on basically anything from Facebook, YouTube, or what have you as to currently entertaining malware distribution platforms. I'm having them use Firefox with uBlock Origin and most importantly, on a non-administrator account, but with little additional shielding. Machine is and has always been fine; don't buy into the security nonsense... but turning of updates may still not be the best of ideas now that approx. 50% of Windows installs is still Windows 7; when it still is, that is, a relevant target for malware.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for that rene.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM

Return to “Chat about Linux”