[Resolved...sort of...]Finally had an Arch Moment with Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

[Resolved...sort of...]Finally had an Arch Moment with Mint

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Actually, it wasn't Mint causing the issue...

I used Systemback to make a clone of my 17.3 install that ran flawlessly for a few years, and I decided to load that OS onto another disk. Kept getting
keys: I to ignore, S to skip or M for manual. If I pressed I it would start and run no probs. I had installed it on a different disk than the one it was on, and there was an NTFS or FAT32 partition on it so I could store my photos, and then boot Windows from another drive if I needed to access them in Windows..to print them...because Canon no longer supports Linux for my massive photo printer...

I then tried making a USB from it and had more nightmares caused by the missing partition. I have been through fstab and it is not mentioned there, so I don't know where the reference is coming from.

I blew it away and started over with a fresh install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Finally had an Arch Moment with Mint

Post by Pierre »

yeah - sometimes an fresh install, is just plain easier.

it sure beats, spending too many hours in fixing the issue,
- unless you have an specific interest in that issue, of course.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Even that didn't work well... :? They updated the libraries and blew out a lot of the things I loved. :(

I'm going to give it one more shot, then I don't know.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:00 am Actually, it wasn't Mint causing the issue...

I used Systemback to make a clone of my 17.3 install that ran flawlessly for a few years,
I feel the same as yourself regarding my beloved 17.3 system .
I made a clone of it with Clonezilla and it runs perfectly .

I've never used Systemback so can't offer any suggestions on that .
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Faust wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:00 am Actually, it wasn't Mint causing the issue...

I used Systemback to make a clone of my 17.3 install that ran flawlessly for a few years,
I feel the same as yourself regarding my beloved 17.3 system .
I made a clone of it with Clonezilla and it runs perfectly .

I've never used Systemback so can't offer any suggestions on that .
Well, I keep trying to push the limit software wise to get some old favourites running again. That's how I broke Arch so many times. I had much greater success with 17.3, but that seems to have changed now. :(

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Well...uh...here's what happened...

Just for S&Gs I decided to get a copy of 19.1 and work with that. The idea was to make some additions and software updates to my custom-made "Mint Stick" that I take with me for audio and photos. It was not going well with 17.3.

I loaded 19.1, loaded all the updates and rolled it into an ISO, wrote it to the USB (Thanks to Mint's easy to use USB writer) held my breath and rebooted. I am having minor issues with the video driver that require a slight tweak after booting, but other than that all my packages are there and running. The reason I didn't want to use 19.1 was because I tried it with 18.2 and some of my old, 32-bit software just wouldn't heel. However, with 19.1, everything is fine!

Could be my next, best OS after my original 17.3 install. Now waiting patiently for 19.2...so's my daughter (Her name is Tessa...;) )

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [Resolved...sort of...]Finally had an Arch Moment with Mint

Post by Portreve »

Back in the day, I used to get into all kinds of troubleshooting and lots of busy work in maintaining systems (primarily Mac OS systems) but in the modern era, system software either does a good enough job of keeping itself going (GNU+Linux, Mac OS X) or is just too endlessly involved (Windows 95 and newer) that that sort of labor-intensive work isn't worth it.

I've also learned, especially in the era of Mac OS 8 and newer and, again, Windows 95 and newer, that the best option for OS upgrades is a nuke-n-pave. I've yet to find an exception, except for edge cases where a given version upgrade can only be applied over top of the prior version.

I am a major fan of cleanliness.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Resolved...sort of...]Finally had an Arch Moment with Mint

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Portreve wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:04 pm Back in the day, I used to get into all kinds of troubleshooting and lots of busy work in maintaining systems (primarily Mac OS systems) but in the modern era, system software either does a good enough job of keeping itself going (GNU+Linux, Mac OS X) or is just too endlessly involved (Windows 95 and newer) that that sort of labor-intensive work isn't worth it.

I've also learned, especially in the era of Mac OS 8 and newer and, again, Windows 95 and newer, that the best option for OS upgrades is a nuke-n-pave. I've yet to find an exception, except for edge cases where a given version upgrade can only be applied over top of the prior version.

I am a major fan of cleanliness.
Well, I have basically been lucky in my dealings with Mint. I do have a separate Home partition, and sometimes left over settings can have an undesired effect, but for the most part are readily resolvable. With one exception, however...think back 4 years ago when I first came here, and had just installed Mint over an Arch installation. Of course, I always wipe the root partition to get rid of most nasty habits, but I had display problems cause by some configurations in Arch. Took me a while to sort that mess out...what causes me the most issue now is the move away from GTk2 and on to GTk3...colour correction made in a GTk2 theme really cause issues when you move to GTk3.

I still have not resolved being able to use most blue coloured themes in 19...makes my screen backgrounds go white and loses any definition in the windows and borders. The fix? Don't use blue themes. I believe Kurt (?) (the one with the white and black cat as an avatar) did provide me with a very nice blue theme...I think it was his port of Blue Laguna, IIRC and that one works well. A tip of the hat. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”