Canonical says 18.04 will now be LTS for 10 yrs

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Canonical says 18.04 will now be LTS for 10 yrs

Post by xenopeek »

This was all he said about it:
I'm also delighted to announce that Ubuntu 18.04 will be supported for a full 10 years. In part because of the very long-time horizons in some of those industries—financial services and telecommunications—but also from IoT where manufacturing lines, for example, are being deployed that will be in production for at least a decade. So that's stuff we're doing for big businesses. For developers […]
Not enough to go on but given this is the OpenStack summit, I'm not holding my breath for this not being about Ubuntu Advantage / ESM.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have no idea if the guy that wrote the article below is just assuming and shooting from the hip or not but i will post it anyway for everyone to peruse it.

https://liliputing.com/2018/11/ubuntu-1 ... y-lts.html

this is the quote from the article that i have no idea if he is just assuming this is also the case for home end users.
While the announcement is aimed at commercial customers that are likely using Ubuntu on servers or IoT devices, it’s also good news for end users that run the desktop version of Ubuntu on laptops who prefer stability over bleeding-edge features. It means you’ll be able to install Ubuntu 18.04 today and continue receiving security updates and bug fixes through early 2028 even if you never upgrade to a newer version Ubuntu.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it seems that this is still doing the rounds:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mark-shut ... -lifespan/
Mark Shuttleworth reveals Ubuntu 18.04 will get a 10-year support lifespan .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

As per the latest https://www.ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle , Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will only be supported by Canonical Inc for free for 5 years, ie until April 2023. Paid extended support available to companies for their Ubuntu Server 18.04 and 16.04 LTS has been extended from 3 years to 5 years, ie until April 2028 and 2026 respectively.
....... Canonical Inc is doing this to compete against Red Hat Inc's RHEL which is supported for 10 years, ie more expensive paid support for RHEL from Year 1 to Year 10.

Free Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS won't likely be supported for free for 10 years, like the 10 years of "free" support by M$ for non-free Win 7 and Win 8.1 until Jan 2020 and 2023 respectively. It would be foolish of Canonical Inc to do so.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm
xenopeek wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:01 pm Important to note Canonical supports only the main and (working with vendors, as it's closed source) restricted repositories. Commonly, as on Linux Mint, people also enable the community supported universe and multiverse repositories. I don't imagine those will be supported for 10 years. Those are barely supported for 5 years as is (some packages get good support for entire 5 years, others cap off earlier or don't get any support).

So for home servers, where the main repository likely suffices, I'd be happy to run 10 years. For other home use? Not so much.
Very important sidenote....
+1. I suspect this is aimed at the server market, not home users.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rperitsky
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 support life

Post by rperitsky »

With Ubuntu announcing extending support for 18.04 to 10 years, is it planned for Mint 19 to follow suit?
DAMIEN1307

Re: Mint 19 support life

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

its already been discussed in the thread link listed below.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=281626
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged the 2 posts into the linked "master thread"
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

The thought just occurred to me that this might turn out to be "vaporware" in the end, anyway. The man is hoping for an IPO next year - and, presumably, hoping for a high price and lots of buys. Therefore, of course he's making statements that are intended to make his property look/sound/read as appealing. And, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that a person in such a position later turned out to be "somewhat optimistic in their forecasts," so to speak.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:57 am The thought just occurred to me that this might turn out to be "vaporware" in the end, anyway. The man is hoping for an IPO next year - and, presumably, hoping for a high price and lots of buys. Therefore, of course he's making statements that are intended to make his property look/sound/read as appealing. And, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that a person in such a position later turned out to be "somewhat optimistic in their forecasts," so to speak.
Unlikely. He announced 10 years of support for the OpenStack release cycle. They were already offering 8 years as part of their ESM offer for regular Ubuntu Advantage customers. Now it will apparently be 10 years for Canonical's Cloud Archive. At least that's the most likely interpretation, and I don't think anybody could have understood it any other way if not for tech news putting an unsubstantiated spin on it.

We'll see what happens once Canonical clarifies - so far they haven't updated any of their documentation or made any further announcements that I have seen. They're probably not in a hurry to dispute a misunderstanding that's giving them free news coverage. ;)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Ubuntu 18.04 to be supported for 10 years

Post by deepakdeshp »

https://fossbytes.com/ubuntu-18-04-10-year-support/
I didn't see that Mint 19 would be supported for 10 years too. Or may be I missed it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 to be supported for 10 years

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on> This is old news. Moving to the relevant thread from 2018 ... Done. </moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I'm surprised that the original announcement - and the buzz it generated - hasn't provoked a discussion in "Ubuntu's own camp" that would have caused (or forced, if you like) the announcer to clarify things in regards to regular desktop installations. Or has it already done so, and some sort of official confirmation or denial just not trickled down to Ubuntu-based distro community support forums such as this one?

I mean... Surely, it would have excited a few people who run Ubuntu's own LTS desktop OS as much as it did people who run Mint and other "derivatives."

Or are Ubuntu users just better at taking statements at face value and reading nothing extra into them, not hearing unspoken words, et cetera? :lol:

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Chat about Linux”