Ubuntu Touch

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Ubuntu Touch

Post by Glockdoc »

Does anyone have any experience with Ubutu touch?

I am not sure I am posting in the right place, but I figure this is a good place to start. I have kicked Microsoft out of my life. Time to look at getting Apple out!

Thanks for any input!
JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Ubuntu Touch

Post by catweazel »

Glockdoc wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 am Does anyone have any experience with Ubutu touch?
Wouldn't you be better off asking on an Ubuntu Touch forum?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Well of course Capt Obvious, but I am not a member there and thought I would start here.

So is that a "yes" I have tried it?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I thought Ubuntu Touch was discontinued
I guess it is supported now by ubports
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Ubuntu Touch is the same thing as Ubuntu Phone, which was a disaster. Really, Canonical looked a bit Spinal Tap there. With no support for common web apps ... did they really think that'd materialize? ... what you end up is a smart phone that isn't smart any more. I suspect it's things like this that make Mint develop LMDE.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Moved this topic to the chat area because it's not about Linux Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks Moem! Still learning my way around here.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You're welcome, we're here to help!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

A far more realistic option than ubports' Ubuntu Touch is Purism's upcoming Librem 5. If you're looking for an alternative to Android OS and iOS, I'd start with them.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

I have been watching and waiting Portreve. There are lots of features I like about that phone, but....., the processor is not the latest and greatest. I thought I would play around with UT on a cheap phone before I pay $600 and give up my Iphones.

Given the lack of bloatware and tracking, the processor may not be that much of an issue for the way I use a phone. I have an Iphone 8 now which gives me the security I want. I use a VPN almost always, but Apple still tracks my every move and some google services( I use them sparingly ) can still follow me. Nothing to hide, but I don't trust that some day the my "data point" could be used in a nefarious way against me.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Glockdoc wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 amDoes anyone have any experience with Ubutu touch?
catweazel wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 am<snip>
JeremyB wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:49 am<snip>
Moem wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 am<snip>
I just posted this thread on Purism's Librem 5 and think it may be of interest to you folks. It really does sound like Todd Weaver has his head screwed on pretty straight about this whole situation.

There are certain things I want on a smart phone (maps, driving, calendar, basically like what Google has) however I'm really keen to have that without all the user data mining and any other stuff Google does. It's all apps and services at this point.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks Portreve! Interesting. Can't wait for the phone to come out and get some reviews.

Return to “Chat about Linux”