How to setup a USB thumbdrive with multiple install/live session options?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

How to setup a USB thumbdrive with multiple install/live session options?

Post by redlined »

I recently purchased a 256GB thumbdrive and haven't had much luck searching for solutions in sorting out how to have multiple versions of linux on the thumbdrive that I can select from to either install it or run a live session (with "persistance" if at all possible!)

Because of hardware differences on systems local I'd like LM19 Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE at least, and the option to add or take away from available OS that can be installed or run live from this USB stick is a big bonus.

ah, and is it even possible to have both 64bit and 32bit versions on same drive for install as appropriate on computers that are 32bit only?
(I'd like at least Cinnamon and MATE in both 64bit and 32bit, if possible, since two of 5 computers I play with are old like that.. although I could setup a separate 32bit thumbdrive if it is not possible to place 32x and 64x on same drive.

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas and suggestions on this matter!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: How to setup a USB thumbdrive with multiple install/live session options?

Post by redlined »

fetl kinda silly asking this here so did another search trying different terms and have come across MultiBootUSB mentioned in this article https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... ributions/

and it looks like what I want to do!

Haven't read enough to determine if it can manage mixed 64x&32x versions (if even possible on same drive like that). and still open to everyone's experiences and alternatives to getting this done in other ways (it's all about the learning for me :mrgreen:
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

redlined wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 pm I recently purchased a 256GB thumbdrive and haven't had much luck searching for solutions in sorting out how to have multiple versions of linux on the thumbdrive that I can select from to either install it or run a live session (with "persistance" if at all possible!)
I believe you can't do OS installations with such a multi-boot USB.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/
redlined

Post by redlined »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:04 am
redlined wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 pm I recently purchased a 256GB thumbdrive and haven't had much luck searching for solutions in sorting out how to have multiple versions of linux on the thumbdrive that I can select from to either install it or run a live session (with "persistance" if at all possible!)
I believe you can't do OS installations with such a multi-boot USB.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/
hi michael louwe!

Burned all my midnight oil last night internet hopping, reading guides and tutorials, frustrating with multibootUSB and unetbootin and finally called it around 0300hrs :lol:

tons to learn and try to get this right! I've seen in the fine print on some methods/tools that both persistence (when OS supported) and even installing all the lovely distros on the multiboot can be done or not. Something I need pay attention to since having all these live sessions is both for test and run in qemu as well install from if desired. I need more coffee :shock:

On my win7 box today to try a couple apps like easy2boot, xboot, and as you linked YUMI- just don't want to muck with install of Wine so back on w7 to give it another go
redlined

Post by redlined »

I'm going to use this reply to share links, updated with edits to add, of the various methods and tools I'm finding saying it can be done! (and a note if it worked for me or not)

In no particular order of preference:

[*] MultibootUSB

[*] UNetbootin

[*] YUMI

[*] Easy2boot

[*] Xboot (no longer maintained, see this common error fix!

[*] askubuntu discussion with tons of info!

(more to follow! after coffee 8)

edit to add: LinuxMint torrents! (much faster d/l's, with resume!:D)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

I always use the excellent "multisystem" for creating a USB stick with multiple operating systems on it, but only one of them can have "persistence". I have tried most of the other USB stick creators, but multisystem has always worked well for me for putting multiple operating systems on a USB stick or for creating a USB stick with persistence over 4gb.

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'

wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install multisystem
How To Create A Multiboot Linux USB Drive Using Linux
https://www.lifewire.com/create-multibo ... ve-4135593

Write Multiple Linux Images Onto a Thumbdrive With Multisystem
https://www.fossmint.com/write-multiple ... ltisystem/

[Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086&hilit=Multisystem

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

phd21 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:49 pm Hi redlined,

I always use the excellent "multisystem" for creating a USB stick with multiple operating systems on it, but only one of them can have "persistence".
+1

While the instructions I followed were horrible, once I figured it out, this tool is perfect. It even allows some bootable utilities, but I can't remember which.

The main issue I had was thinking it had frozen while adding an ISO, but I just didn't wait long enough.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi phd21 and MrEen!

Thank you for that mention, commands and links phd21, I had just come back to add a couple more utilities and methods to my links reply to which liveusb.info/multisystem is another to research. I will attempt this method when I tire of win7 for today :|

Last night I spent way too much time and effort trying to get unetbootin and multibootusb to work so working from win7 for now to see if I can get easy2boot or yumi to get this mess setup and running with live session persistence and ability to install any/all that is on there anywhere min reqs are met. Tricky business, going to the lowest common denominator of x32, legacy bios (switch to UEFI mode if required), and fat32 file size limits... Thinking it'll be a pretty magnificent 256GB of linux fun that I can run in qemu (or other virtualizer) if/when I can get it done up right! :mrgreen:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Chat about Linux”