MS Going to Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

Re: MS Going to Linux?

Post by michael louwe »

BG405 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm If MS adopted Linux in the ways suggested here, it would likely save them a fortune in development costs .. but how would that impact their proprietary-oriented-software business model?
M$ adopting Linux will be similar to the RHEL/Fedora/CentOS model = Winsux 10 Ent/Winsux 10 Home & Pro. The difference is that the trade-marked Winsux 10 Home & Pro will not be free software(= subscription-based.?), unlike free Fedora/CentOS.
....... If so, very few 3rd-party Linux developers will contribute to the non-free Winsux "open-source" project owned by M$, unlike the present free Fedora/CentOS open-source project owned by Red Hat Inc/IBM.

Another comparison is the free Chromium browser, Chromium OS and Android open-source projects owned by Google/Alphabet Inc.
arso96

Post by arso96 »

they need to interact, interoperate and support linux workloads, but i don’t see them releasing their own distribution for users

they get a lot of complaints and support calls from windows 10 users.

they would get 100x more from those users using linux

i don’t think they could afford it
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links from post.
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

@CaptainKirksChair
This is not what MS is doing, You have no idea why MS allowed the use of linux feature to windows.
WSL tool to window for development, of apps. This allows the use of command line tools linux offers, python and more. This has nothing to do with window kernel, this has to do with multi platform OS. This is the whole goal of windows 10, make one OS for all. MS started buying LINUX years ago and has used many of its tools to develop windows 10. It is now possible to cross test apps using this tool. We now don't have to boot linux on a separate system or use 2 network computers for testing apps. Microsoft is working on cross multi platform that is it. It is basically built in dosbox for linux commands. WSL does not support Graphical User Interface (GUI) versions of Linux, but rather uses a command line environment. WSL Windows subsystem linux. It is for developers.
I made a vid showing the setup https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=TcX1 ... ture=share
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i dont see that youtube video winning any academy or emmy awards anytime soon...DAMIEN
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

It looks ever more likely.
First they got out of mobile. Then they moved toward open source:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... f-service/
They bought github. And most recently dropped their Edge browser to use Chromium base instead.

My 2019 prediction is that they will buy Ubuntu before Ubuntu launches IPO. MS does not need Ubuntu, but they would use it with a focus on server and other offerings and keep the desktop alive to win good will with the Linux community with an eye toward going full Linux in place of Windows down the road.
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

You guys don't get it really. MS buys the source of the development. One more step in making MS OS open source.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

gomerpile wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 am You guys don't get it really. MS buys the source of the development. One more step in making MS OS open source.
And pigs might fly.
Cliff Coggin
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

gomerpyle said,
You guys don't get it really. MS buys the source of the development. One more step in making MS OS open source.

actually we "guys" really DO get it.

microsoft has no intention of making M$ OS open source.

it is just actually one more step for M$ OS "using" open source as their base and adding its own proprietary coding like google does with chromium for its chrome browser and for its android platforms...DAMIEN
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

Never know, visual studio codes are now open source. Anaconda has partnered with Microsoft to bring you Visual Studio Code. Visual Studio code is free, open source, streamlined cross-platform code editor with excellent support for python code editing, Intelisense, debugging, linting, version control, and more.
Being a insider and app builder, I see more and more windows code integrated into open source development.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

then you DID see what i said then,
it is just actually one more step for M$ OS "using" open source as their base and adding its own proprietary coding like google does with chromium for its chrome browser and for its android platforms.
and then you replied,
Being a insider and app builder, I see more and more windows code integrated into open source development.
i mentioned that google adds its own stuff to opensource, making it its own proprietary thing, and you said that, pretty much the same thing that windows code is being integrated into opensource developement...thus MAKING it proprietary, just like google does already with Chrome and Android.

in other words, it is NOT doing as you originally implied when you said,
One more step in making MS OS open source.
but probably, (maybe) doing what i think they are doing, as mentioned above...making opensource proprietary for their own systems by using opensource as their base...DAMIEN

Return to “Chat about Linux”