What is your most favorite software program you just cant (and wont) live without?

Chat about Linux in general
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

What is your most favorite software program you just cant (and wont) live without?

Post by carum carvi »

I am curious, what is your most favorite software program you just cant ( and wont) live without?

Everybody must have that special software program that exactly fits your needs. A program that you just MUST have. You would rather change distro then having to live without your favorite software program. What is your absolute favorite?

For me personally it is without a doubt "Vlc Mediaplayer". I just love MOVIES :D :!:

And to be able to enjoy ALL my videoformats I need a good video player. Enter Vlc Mediaplayer. Gold medal winner for me personally.

I just love all the possible options Vlc Mediaplayer has got. Most of them I dont need, but the few I do need are just blissful. Beats any other video playing software out there. Some other videoplayers might be easier in use. Vlc isnt the most graphically smooth and easy one to use. That's correct. There are so many options that it can be overwhelming, although a choice between standard options and advanced options can be made.

But the really greatest thing about Vlc (besides the many options) is that VLC WILL PLAY EVERYTHING you throw at it. Family of mine has got a new big Mac and skipping forward while watching a video didnt go smooth whatsoever. Some video formats wouldnt get recognized with the standard player on Mac. Compare that expensive, yet clumsy Mac machine to the free and great working version of Vlc Mediaplayer, which can play video formats I havent even heard of before.

Until quite recently I was still without a good dvd ripper program. One that will rip anything. Thanks to this forum I heard about MakeMkv. I tried it and I was sold immediately. Therefore I award a silver medal to MakeMkv. Especially the speed of it and the user friendliness is astonishing and a great delight. Now I can make copies of great movies for friends and family again! :D

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What is your most favorite software program you just cant (and wont) live without?

Post by kc1di »

1. Libreoffice
2. FireFox /other web browser I use opera a lot.
3. Thunderbird

Those would be my top three. Depends on the day which one would be #1
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is your most favorite software program you just cant (and wont) live without?

Post by BigEasy »

carum carvi wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:36 am
For me personally it is without a doubt "Vlc Mediaplayer". I just love MOVIES :D :!:
Wrong! To write here about VLC you need a browser first.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Honestly, I've never really liked VLC. To me, it's always been the video player of last resort. It is very capable, which is why it is usually my last resort because I expect that it will work on VLC. But for some reason I just don't enjoy using VLC.

For video, I've preferred using Bomi. Although, it hasn't been updated in a long time and it appears to be abandoned. I'm not sure which video player to go to next. MPC-Qt looks promising.

To answer the question of this thread: the software I don't think I could do without would be Vivaldi.

I would expect that most people spend most of their time in a web browser, which makes the web browser one of the most important software a person uses. For me, Vivaldi is the easy choice.

I expect most people use Firefox. I never liked using Firefox. I don't know how to describe it. Whenever I use it, everything feels wrong. It's design is unintuitive. Even back when I used Windows, I preferred using IE over Firefox.

Another software program I'd have to say is Password Safe. Not because it's any better than any other password manager. But I've been using it for so long that I'm in too deep with it, and transferring to something else would be a real pain.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

My computer is a tool for business, and Libreoffice is at the heart of my business administration, without it the computer would be useless to me.
Firefox browser and Thunderbird email come a close second, but at a pinch I could run the business without them.
Everything else is just bells and whistles, embellishments to pass the time when I am not working and there is nothing of interest to watch on TV or I am waiting for a new book to read.
Cliff Coggin

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

I agree without the browser the computer is worthless.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

151tom wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm
That is a Fact, Jack....

and Firefox is the only browser of choice....
the others are just crippled attempts to make a good browser.

YMMV, but I don't give a damn ( forget where the quote came from )
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:52 pm
151tom wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm
That is a Fact, Jack....

and Firefox is the only browser of choice....
the others are just crippled attempts to make a good browser.
Yep I do prefer Firefox although I've no complaints with Chromium.

rambo919
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rambo919 »

Have to use Chrome sometimes.... the skin annoys the hell outta me. I want menu's that don't hide their options within other options please.... this is a PC NOT a tablet.

The only piece of software I have come to not be able to live without is copy handler, for windows...... NOTHING is it's proper equivalent atm even though it's development seems stuck and some progress is being made with ultra copier apparently.... Most apps there are kinda alternatives for but the features are generally severely lacking.

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

Excel - I've been using it for as long as it has been out, in the very early days on a mac. My living depended on crunching numbers. Could live with a different browser or email client, but not about to switch horses on spreadsheets. Word would probably come a close second for the same reasons. Sometimes MS gets it right (although later versions are a little bloated).
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

It used to be Werd Excel and Accsux.

Writer has come ahead in leaps and bounds as has calc.
I've found an alternative to Access that works for me, but is not a replacement for Access at all.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BigEasy wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 pm
carum carvi wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:36 am
Wrong! To write here about VLC you need a browser first.
Wrong, yourself! Just because you need a browser if you want to write here about VLC, that doesn't make the browser your favourite program. Favourite is not the same as 'most needed'. It means 'best liked' or 'most enjoyed'.

I need water more than any other nutrient, but that doesn't make it my favourite food or drink.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Most of the year it's Firefox, but come December and Christmas card season, I love Glabels. Second favorite is xed.

Bob

HowboutAudio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HowboutAudio »

For me it is TuxGuitar, a tablature editor. It is the free equivalent of GuitarPro. It opens all kinds of files including the aging powertab files. It never crashes and is very lightweight. Some people may complain the playback is awful but that's not why I use it.

The other one is Audacity. Again, it 's lightweight, has all the features I need in terms of audio recording and rarely crashes.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

SMplayer. VLC is one of the most over rated programs I've ever seen in terms of both performance and UI design. However if I still used WIndows at all I'd probably use VLC there but only for music file playback.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Leafpad
xfburn

and recently I discovered atom (I am teaching myself python and atom was recommended - looks pretty cool)
I am sooo old I am embarrassed to admit I learned programming with Fortran (an ancient computer language) using punch cards. Later I learned Basic. I was "exposed" to Cobol and C but never really learned them.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

LibreOffice (especially Calc). I keep a lot of personal information, such as my banking, on protected spreadsheets.
Rainlendar calendar.
FIrefox (well secured) for banking and commerce and Chromium for general browsing.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I started using Vlc Mediaplayer in Windows, although it's program's user interface looks indeed arent very charming, it does do the trick for what it is designed for: handle ALL video and music files. It does it even better than any other freeware video software out there, because it handles ALL and EVERY thinkable music or video format perfectly. It just works. And I just want to give credit to the team of volunteers of Vlc that made this product and have kept it running brilliantly for over a decade. Chapeau!

The thing is that some of the people that complain about Vlc, contradict themselves by saying that they still have to use it as well, simply because nothing else seems to work. That's exaclty my point. Vlc does something unique which no other free video software has achieved for over such a long period: making ANY videofile playable on ANY machine, be it Apple, Windows, Linux or a smartphone.

And since I am an extraordinary movie lover, (I mean I just CANT live without those great movies), I always wanna be able to have a program which gives me that rock hard guarantee I can watch any movie classics on any machine. Vlc gives me that assurance. And therefore it gives me tremendous pleasure :D :) :o :lol: :P :!: :mrgreen:

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

carum carvi wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:23 pm
I started using Vlc Mediaplayer in Windows, although it's program's user interface looks indeed arent very charming, it does do the trick for what it is designed for: handle ALL video and music files.
In my Windows XP days I had an analog TV / Radio Card and used VLC with that card and it worked better than the oem software that came with the card.

rambo919
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rambo919 »

I have yet to see TV Tuner software that is not utterly terrible somehow....

Return to “Chat about Linux”