Arch question....

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

Arch question....

Post by borg101 »

Hey guys! It's been awhile. :( Unfortunately, work and family crap got in the way of my being on the forums. Also, I haven't been using Mint as a daily driver for a few months because I've been toying with other distros....which I feel guilty about for some reason. lol. I guess because Mint and the forums were my "first true love" when it came to Linux...or software in general for that matter.

Anyway, I've been playing with Antergos and Manjaro a lot lately, but I have a tiny thing that's bothering me, that I don't dare get on their forums and ask...else I risk being flamed, trolled, and even certain death. With Debian distros, I've found it rather simple to install any software center/manager I like. While Fedora has a very nice and attractive store, I really don't like the Arch "store". While functional, I would rather have something attractive. I run some form of Linux on every machine I use now. And besides my own OCD tendencies...of which I have many....I also want to spread the "message" of FOSS. So when I'm running Debian distros and seamlessly moving around with very few key strokes, editing files, running conferences, etc...I occasionally get into very productive conversations about Linux/FOSS. More often than not, I'm converting people, or...at the very least...getting them to try Linux out.

Is there a way to install a more attractive frontend to the official Arch repo's and/or AUR?

P.S. sorry for the long-windedness of my latest posts. My doctor put me on a new medication and a side-effect is I talk more. And you thought I was bad before! lol
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Arch question....

Post by Neil Edmond »

My choice is to use Pamac, which looks a little like Synaptic to me, and is fully functional. I've never seen the need for a second software center like Ubuntu introduced a while back. But, I understand that not everyone is like me (thank goodness), and a little web searching lead me to someone who is working on a Ubuntu style software center for Arch: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm ... d_distros/
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Why don't you ask on the Arch forums? The only more knowledgeable users in terms of distros I know of are Gentoo users. But refrain from excess verbiage on REAL expert forums, their patience wore thin years ago.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For graphical AUR helpers, besides pamac, there's a few according to the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU ... #Graphical. Personally I just use auracle-git, makepkg and pacman from the terminal. All the warnings you're given to read the PKGBUILD at least before building—do the graphical AUR helpers do that?

As Arch Linux package manager implements PackageKit, any PackageKit front-end will work as a package manager. The wiki has a few: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa ... #Graphical. Like GNOME Software just works. I have it installed but again I just use pacman.

Search the wiki first. It almost always has the answer. You'd have learned that already if you used Arch Linux.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you are contradicting yourself arch repos and AUR are separate entities. i still use pamac-aur-5.1.1 on my arch and don't care to upgrade because the new pamac resembles a software center too much. did you search your menu for Add Remove Software pr Pamac which is the same thing?

what exactly is the arch store? never heard of it
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 am Why don't you ask on the Arch forums? The only more knowledgeable users in terms of distros I know of are Gentoo users. But refrain from excess verbiage on REAL expert forums, their patience wore thin years ago.
OK, I'm not generally in the habit of quoting myself herre, but I think I know the answer to that question anyway. Arch users are not going to have any patience for beginners expecting to get spoon fed and quite possibly told the OP to go to hell.

Even on the Debian forums, if you ask the typical sort of noob question askied here or on ubuntuforums, the first thing they're going to suggest is to install Ubuntu or Mint instead of Debian.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
borg101

Post by borg101 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 pm you are contradicting yourself arch repos and AUR are separate entities. i still use pamac-aur-5.1.1 on my arch and don't care to upgrade because the new pamac resembles a software center too much. did you search your menu for Add Remove Software pr Pamac which is the same thing?

what exactly is the arch store? never heard of it
When I say "store" I'm referring to the repo. Ubuntu doesn't have a "store", nor does Mint. I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but that's why I don't post in the Arch forums.
Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 am Why don't you ask on the Arch forums? The only more knowledgeable users in terms of distros I know of are Gentoo users. But refrain from excess verbiage on REAL expert forums, their patience wore thin years ago.
OK, I'm not generally in the habit of quoting myself herre, but I think I know the answer to that question anyway. Arch users are not going to have any patience for beginners expecting to get spoon fed and quite possibly told the OP to go to hell.

Even on the Debian forums, if you ask the typical sort of noob question askied here or on ubuntuforums, the first thing they're going to suggest is to install Ubuntu or Mint instead of Debian.
Not really. I've never really been flamed or trolled at all here. It's the main reason I keep coming on here. I barely use Mint unless I'm converting Windows users. I continue to check the newbie forums in the off chance I can help someone as many folks here have helped me. From my understanding, the Arch, Gentoo, and Fedora communities don't really tolerate it. Especially the long-windedness. I know it's a personal flaw, and I work on it daily. However, my over explaination of problems helps people in my work, so its not so easy to turn off. Regardless, forums will always have elitests, but I don't mesh well with that crowd. So I go where I feel are the least.

Return to “Chat about Linux”