Installing needed packages for LM v. 19 Cinnamon with Chroot from live usb.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing needed packages for LM v. 19 Cinnamon with Chroot from live usb.

Post by Portreve »

All of the above information you've shared is very interesting and potentially useful, and I'm sure I speak for others here when I say "Thank you!" for sharing it.

However, there's some issues.

First off, if nobody's responding, it's probably that nobody has found this post personally relevant. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth your time; it's just that most people's hardware probably falls into the "just works" category.

Now, as someone who's own hardware doesn't "just work" (I have a 2011 13" MBP) there's some further issues with your solution.

Let's first pre-suppose someone has hardware either like you do (WiFi but no ethernet port) or like me (ethernet but not OOB-supported wireless).

If you can't get on the Internet, you can't get on the Internet to read your solution. QED.

Let's suppose a "magical intuition" scenario where someone could know your solution without having access to the Internet to get access to this web site to have read it. How would they then download the distro you refer to? I mean, if you can't get on the Internet, you can't download anything via it, either.

Again, QED.

Now, if there's a means of getting on the Internet (but just not wirelessly) the solution you propose is more of a desperation move in the sense that it isn't clean. You have to muck around with your own installed distro as well as another distro. Believe me, as someone who's been in the technology world since the 1980s, I've seen or had to concoct more than my fair share of desperation-move solutions, so I am not trying to diss on yours.

There was a period of time where I had no Internet at home, and I had to use a local library. Now, I love that library, I love its ethos and all that, but it wasn't always practical to try and get a wired connection there, so here's the solution I used.

I had prior knowledge and therefore was able to skip the first part of this, but someone else who doesn't have prior knowledge could via something else (smart phone? another computer?) google "what wireless hardware is natively supported by linux" and you'd find out that wireless chipsets produced by Atheros are by definition GNU+Linux friendly. From there, it's a simple second step of doing a search for "atheros-based wireless adapters" and one can get (for anything from $10-$20) a USB adapter, such as the one I have, which absolutely will work with any modern GNU+Linux distro.

In writing this post, I deliberately skipped suggesting using a router as a WiFi bridge simply because, in a scenario like yours, you couldn't have used such a solution. However, even though it's pretty common now to see computers with no ethernet port (with ethernet-over-USB then used on those systems) I can't imagine any computer at this point not shipping with USB ports of some description.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing needed packages for LM v. 19 Cinnamon with Chroot from live usb.

Post by Hoser Rob »

LuvNix wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 am
Note: Read through the whole thread:
If you want people to read your input write it clearly and concisely, beginning with something like the above and then spewing a ton of verbiage just makes you seem pompuous and likely belligerent. I'm done here, 'bye.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”