Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.0-rc1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.0-rc1

Post by AZgl1800 »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ures&num=1

just caught this article, did a search to see if it has been talked about here yet, but if it has, I didn't see it pop up

Several interesting new features going to be available.

this is helpful for me: Logitech high resolution scrolling support,

This should be very useful for a lot of folks: NVIDIA Tegra suspend-and-resume for the Tegra X2 and Xavier SoCs.

I hope this helps me, my laptop refuses to be consistent in power off/on....
POWER On-Chip Controller driver support.

and this will be well received:

Linux Storage / File-Systems

- Fscrypt Adiantum support for helping with fast data encryption on low-end hardware lacking native CPU extensions for accelerated crypto. This is Google's replacement to their prior plan of using NSA's Speck for low-end device data encryption.

- Minor FBDEV improvements and fixes.

- F2FS fixes now that Google is supporting the Flash-Friendly File-System on their Pixel devices.

- The Binderfs implementation for accessing Android's Binder inter-process communication mechanism from within containers.

- EXT4 fixes and XFS fixes.

- The Btrfs file-system restores support for swap files.

and oh wow!!! this is for me:
Realtek R8169 driver improvements.

Going to be interesting to see how well it all melds with Linux Mint releases.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.0-rc1

Post by deepakdeshp »

Any idea if it's LTS
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
gm10

Post by gm10 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:49 am Any idea if it's LTS
It's not, it's not even released. It's just the first release candidate of the series, i.e. way too early to start looking at features, nobody can say what it will eventually release with. There's a new candidate every Sunday basically all year round, it's all they do at kernel.org...
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am
It's not, it's not even released. It's just the first release candidate of the series, i.e. way too early to start looking at features, nobody can say what it will eventually release with. There's a new candidate every Sunday basically all year round, it's all they do at kernel.org...
Yes, yes, yes, must I add it's not supported in Mint?

You want bleeding edge, install Arch or a similar true rolling release. But you will encounter a steep learning curve fixing the system many times at CLI level when (not if) an update breaks it. There's no way to have both stability and new software in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

sorry,
I omitted noting that this is a rolling beta only....
not even close to being ready for Mint.

but it gives us an idea of what is destined for us in the future.
If you read the article closely, it plainly states this is on the bleeding edge, with weekly, if not daily, updates as the developers work on it.

For myself, I have to have a known entity, so I won't be downloading it and breaking my 18.3 Cinnamon.

I still don't like 19.1 so this 5.x kernel is going to take getting used to.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Getting used to a new kernel? Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by that.
Getting used to a new version of your OS... now that I can sympathize with. But a kernel? What's to get used to?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”