Debian systemd maintainer quits (or taking time off)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Debian systemd maintainer quits (or taking time off)

Post by Schultz »

The systemd maintainer for Debian is quitting/taking time off: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 41971.html
due to this: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Debian systemd maintainer quits (or taking time off)

Post by xenopeek »

Good idea to take some time off when needed.

As far as I could follow it the issue was discussed to completion and in agreement with him on the same day, but after he left. One of the other Debian systemd maintainers was involved after. A patch as discussed on the day was committed in the next day or two. So at least the issue at hand was resolved.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm due to this: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436
Hilarious. There was a similar thing on the kernel mailing list not so long ago until someone cc'ed Linus and he ripped them all a new one (or as much as he still does these days).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm not 100% surprised. Since using systemd I've noticed, for example, that the syntax of boot arguments as yoy'd find in grub have largely changed. And for the life of me I can't see what they do differently. There's way too much of this in Linux, just changing things for no particularly practical reason. Of course, these people are doing this on a volunteer basis, and fiuxing bugs, which is practical, isn't fun enough. This is often followed by a lot of buck passing.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this is odd, i just responded in a thread Changing interface name from wlp2s0 to wlan1 i of course tested it and i can see the loss of network depending in that name. the only trouble i found is the conky configs and the xfce panel tray icon for network monitoring not displaying any values since it was set to the modern naming

i thought the use of etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules was only in a non-systemd os like mint 17.3 where i have one and changed it quite a few times
gm10

Post by gm10 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:51 am i thought the use of etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules was only in a non-systemd os like mint 17.3 where i have one and changed it quite a few times
udev operates below systemd, so they do not cancel each other out. The network naming aside, udev rules are also very useful for device-related scripting, like starting certain software when a device gets connected.

Return to “Chat about Linux”