Snaps. Why? Please stop.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Snaps. Why? Please stop.

Post by Grateful4Linux »

vidtek wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:57 am I too struggle with snaps.
There is one particular programme I like Leafpad--a simple and elegant text editor. It has now been removed from the repositories no idea why, but it is gone.
I tried with 3 Ubuntu flavoured distros, Mint and Ubuntu Studio and Kubuntu.
They seemed to install with snaps, but leafpad just does not work. One of the distors -- I think it was Studio -- did sort of work but only for the one user that installed it, not even for root.

In the end I found a .deb file and that works well.....but for how many more months will I still be able to get it?

Snaps just suck for the end user. They seem great for developers though......

Just my 2 bob's worth. Tony.
That sucks about Leafpad, which is my primary text editor. I'm still on Linux Mint 19.3, so I didn't even realize it's no longer in the repositories. Where did you find the .deb file? Does it work well in 20.1?
~Maria
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

vidtek wrote: There is one particular programme I like Leafpad--a simple and elegant text editor. It has now been removed from the repositories no idea why, but it is gone.
Looks like it hasn't been maintained by the author since 2010, so likely the reason it was dropped from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (the codebase for LM 20.x).
vidtek wrote:In the end I found a .deb file and that works well.....but for how many more months will I still be able to get it?
Grateful4Linux wrote: Where did you find the .deb file? Does it work well in 20.1?
You still download the .deb archive from the 18.04 LTS repo, and suspect you could continue to do so until April 2023, but I doubt Ubuntu would be making any updates to it in the interim regardless.

Edit: Download Page for leafpad_0.8.18.1-5_amd64.deb on AMD64 machines

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd6 ... d/download
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:26 pm You still download the .deb archive from the 18.04 LTS repo, and suspect you could continue to do so until April 2023, but I doubt Ubuntu would be making any updates to it in the interim regardless.

Edit: Download Page for leafpad_0.8.18.1-5_amd64.deb on AMD64 machines

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd6 ... d/download
Thank you for the info and link, JoeFootball!
~Maria
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

mattlach wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 pm Can someone please comment on why we now have snaps (or flatpak or Appimage) in Linux?
Because someone comes up with an idea that they think should apply to everyone everywhere?

standards.png
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
surruk51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by surruk51 »

MY problem is the effect of sandboxing on interoperation.
I installed GIMP from a Snap (to get later version), and it completely screwed u the API between GIMP and xsane (which had been installed through apt-get).
Given the generous availability of storage, and the potential problems from shared libraries I don't have a problem with the idea of packaging, though I note that rather than having three standards as we did with apt, rpm, pacman, we now have snap, flatpak etc AS WELL.

What is really needed is an RFC type process to agree a standard all distros can work towards and which can support packaged and non-packaged libraries.

Let's face it, if you are going to take packaging to its logical conclusion, you ought to package your compatible copy of Linux too!
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

This thread is old. And this is Linux Mint, we don't use snap packaging.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 am this is Linux Mint, we don't use snap packaging.
Except if we want to. Then we can.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

More info on why Linux Mint doesn't leverage Snap by default, and how users can enable it if they decide that it's a good option for their circumstances ...

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Yes, you very are correct. Linux Mint does not fully enforce the restriction of snap.

To install snap packaging:

Code: Select all

$ sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt install snapd

$ snap version

$ sudo snap install <application-name>
Note: I suggest retaining a copy of the nosnap.pref file, just in case.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu censorship my opinion :)

Post by phil995511 »

Ubuntu censorship my opinion after asking for feedback for their next version of Ubuntu LTS on :

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/your-com ... ence/24742

Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here; we don't need another "I hate snaps" topic -- we don't use them anyway
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

What I always wondered about Snaps:
How sandboxed/ containerized are they really? Some system programs already come as Snaps, including Htop (but not exclusively so far). Especially this application needs full access to your entire system, since it doesn't only display its status, but also allows you to change/ kill running processes.

Then we also have applications like Gimp (as already mentioned above), which can be extended by adding various plugins (all available via Synaptic, which by the way has to be manually installed via terminal in Ubuntu). But Gimp as a Snap? There should be at least two different versions, one with just the base install and another one with at least the most common plugins included. Or the Gimp-Snap gives up on the sandboxing again and allows the inclusion of said plugins.

Return to “Chat about Linux”