Problems with installation on multiple distros

Chat about Linux in general
Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Problems with installation on multiple distros

Post by Linux.Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Hello all. Sorry if the subject is too vague. I'm basically having problems installing various linux distros.

I wish Linux Mint kept KDE, because it's what I love the most. Since it's gone, I have been trying other ones. Someone in this forum said you're good about helping with other distros. So I hope that's true and that this isn't a burden. I only need help getting one KDE system to work.
I'm sorry that so much of this info is vague, but I've been going from one distro to another to another, and back to the other, and so on and so forth.
But anyway, let's get to it.

Fedora 29 -

I am very much a noob when it comes to partitioning drives. I thought there was some "automatic" option like Linuxmint offers.
However, I'm facing some "/root" needs memory or something. A lot of things are grayed out, so I can't change it.
Like I said, a "noob" on this matter. It's easily possible that I overlooked something.

KDE Neon 5.14 -

Installation went smooth. I had to reboot the PC, and took the disc out when it told me to.
I later came back to some text message stating the screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore.
Maybe the commands work, but I didn't write them down and tried to type in "login" with my password. It kept saying it's not the right password.

OpenMandriva -

This may be interesting to get back to as this was the FIRST system I tried (Mandrake 8.something)
Although I'm not sure if Mandriva and OpenMandriva have the same workers.
Anyways,

It doesn't show wi-fi SSID's at all. There's not even a clickable box. The only one there is "air plane" mode.

I would love to use KDE again. If anyone can help me with this or suggest another KDE one like LinuxMint, that'd be great.

redlined

Re: Problems with installation on multiple distros

Post by redlined » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Linux.Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm
I would love to use KDE again. If anyone can help me with this or suggest another KDE one like LinuxMint, that'd be great.
KDE isn't one I'm yet familiar with (but have wanted to give it a test drive) and more info would be useful about your environment you're trying to install to. If you have a linux installed now, or can run a live session then in terminal enter command [inxi -Fxzd && lsusb[/c] then copy those results and paste between [ code ] tags, which you create by click the </> icon (top left of reply edit box). This will assist others who may look in and have ideas.

I didn't see it in your list, but fresh off the presses yesterday, Debian 9.8 released and has KDE version:
https://www.debian.org/
version choices for Live/Install download https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
torrent liveISO https://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

Another thing to consider, if you want LM19 & KDE then there are ways to do that. See these topics for more info to determine if you want to stick with Mint and have your KDE too 8)
Want Mint 19 but still want KDE? Have 18.3 KDE installed? Read on!
Experiment: Mint 18 KDE upgrade to 19
Install KDE on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce

edit to correct: (Debian links)

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:54 am

thanks for the info. I looked into Linux Mint and KDE. I'm a little nervous about trying it out though, as it has mixed reviews. I've gone a good week without a solid system now.

I tried to download Debian, but at the end of downloading it, I got "failed". Laptop may be the blame. I don't know if I can download a large file on a live CD. It doesn't take long before I see that the download is frozen.

I'd try that command but Fedora won't let me partition properly, openmandriva doesn't show any option to get wi-fi going, and neon shows the "locker and won't unlock anymore".

I did try manjaro. I thought maybe there was hope after all. No. I have no idea, but it won't detect my external HD.
I may try to install Debian once more on my desktop. If not, I may either settle with LinuxMint 18.3 KDE until it loses support, or just deal with the difference in 19.1 XFCE.

redlined

Post by redlined » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:30 am

being in distro hell without a stable system for a week is not fun... If you have installed manjaro (a rolling release distro, if I recall correctly) and don't really prefer it then we can continue towards getting whatever distro you want on your computer. so lets get some environment infos from you and see what we can figure out from there.

If I misunderstood, and you don't have a Linux actually installed yet, then try boot your most preferred distro live session/installer USB (or if you do have a Linux installed then boot into it)

and then try this. Open terminal and run command: inxi -Fxzd && lsusb then copy all that result and paste back in reply between [ code ] tags, which you create using the </> icon (top left of reply edit box).

about the issue of failing ISO downloads when in live session, I am thinking it is happen because no additional storage space was mounted, so in effect your entire download would have to fit in Ram (and a distro is 1 - 4GB in size)... If you have a good live session USB to run, we can sort how to get you whatever you prefer for install by temp mount some disk/partition storage space, burn the new ISO (will need different USB stick than one for live session though) and get you installed with what you do want.

Let me know if/how you'd like to proceed 8)

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 am

Linux.Blue wrote:
Someone in this forum said you're good about helping with other distros. So I hope that's true and that this isn't a burden.
Well, I'm not sure who said that... we only support Mint here. I'll move your post to the Chat area, because it's not about the installation of Mint, and there people can assist you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 pm

thanks. Maybe that's what they meant by that, something like going here in chat.

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I currently have LinuxMint 19.1 XFCE installed. I'm not a huge fan of Manjaro. It worked the most I thought anymore.
I think maybe Debian (although I have to see it first, never got it to download yet) or openMandriva, something I had years back when it was called Mandrake.

Currently on Linux Mint 19.1 (XFCE, installed, not a live CD)

Code: Select all

jeremy@jeremy-741:~$ inxi -Fxzd && lsusb
System:
  Host: jeremy-741 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: MSI model: 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641) v: 3.0 
  serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 17.10 date: 08/10/2012 
CPU:
  Topology: Single Core model: AMD Sempron 145 bits: 64 type: UP arch: K10 
  rev: 3 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 5599 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RS780L [Radeon 3000] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: radeon 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:05.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-20-generic LLVM 6.0.0) 
  v: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-20-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 
  bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Ralink RT5362 PCI 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter 
  driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: e800 bus ID: 03:02.0 
  IF: wlp3s2 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-3: Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v3000 [Ralink RT2571W] 
  type: USB driver: rt73usb bus ID: 1-6:5 
  IF: wlx0022754f9932 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 63.53 GiB (5.5%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST250DM000-1BD141 size: 232.89 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: External USB 3.0 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
  Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: HL-DT-ST model: DVDRAM GH24NS90 rev: IN00 
  dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw 
  Features: speed: 12 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes 
  rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 228.23 GiB used: 7.64 GiB (3.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 46.5 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 152 Uptime: 17h 53m Memory: 1.71 GiB used: 498.2 MiB (28.4%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.27 
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0480:0900 Toshiba America Inc 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:705a Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v3000 [Ralink RT2571W]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse (4-button)
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04d9:1702 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Keyboard LKS02
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
jeremy@jeremy-741:~$

redlined

Post by redlined » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Not sure if your CPU, and having less than 2GB Ram, is fully up for the task of any of the ISO you've tried, especially KDE.

and curious as to why you are using a wifi usb adapter (versus installed wifi card or ethernet) but that adapter may be source of install issues, especially for install which may just hang trying to connect :?:

but... since you have XFCE installed, and prefer KDE overall then I feel you would be safe to follow xenopeek's guide and get KDE added at least as a second DE you can log in to and test to see if hardware is all still good to go.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267121

if you want to subsequently remove XFCE then perhaps try and ping xenopeek and see if his instructions are safe to follow in LM19.1 XFCE (eg install mint-meta-kde and plasma-desktop, remove xfce4* packages). A comment on that thread may bring his attention to it, or a kindly worded pm referring to that thread may get a "it's safe" response.

Otherwise, just installing those packages mentioned should get you up and running as LM19.1 KDE and it will do no harm if you leave XFCE there, and you can log out of KDE or XFCE session and switch to other DE using login screen (there is a little symbolic icon to click, right corner of where username is, that rolls out a menu showing DE you can login to)

This article is another method, looks safe, and complete- including tests done and good screenshots to assist. I would verify in forum if it is safe/good idea for what you want to accomplish since the packages mentioned (kubuntu-desktop & kde-plasma-desktop & kscreen) are quite different than xenopeek's (mint-meta-kde & plasma-desktop).
https://linuxhint.com/install_kde_linux_mint_19/

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Are the days of running Linux on older systems invalid now? I heard years ago about Linux running on OLD machines just fine. I even bought this computer from an online linux store.

I don't think I have a wireless on this computer, thus is why I use the USB stick.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I wish to do then.

redlined

Post by redlined » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Linux.Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Are the days of running Linux on older systems invalid now? I heard years ago about Linux running on OLD machines just fine. I even bought this computer from an online linux store.
Linux does run fine on old hardware, but the more eye-candy you add and the more recent kernel used will degrade the experience, for sure. In general, older/slower hardware is good for XFCE, if it not work well then I think Puppy Linux, lubuntu and other such (light) distros will work fine, whereas Mate (to a lessor extent) and for sure heavies like Cinnamon and KDE will be crashy, fail often or outright refuse to run...

Search for Linux for Old Hardware, ro similar terms to get a many hits talking about light distros good for install on old hardwares. Couple links to get you started down that path~
https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/5-li ... -computers
https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
Linux.Blue wrote: I don't think I have a wireless on this computer, thus is why I use the USB stick.
ahhh, but you do! If I read your inxi results correctly :mrgreen:
Network:
Ethernet card: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> (not used)

Wifi internal Device-2: Ralink RT5362 PCI 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: e800 bus ID: 03:02.0 IF: wlp3s2 state: down mac: <filter> (not used)

USB Wifi adapter: Device-3: Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v3000 [Ralink RT2571W] type: USB driver: rt73usb bus ID: 1-6:5 IF: wlx0022754f9932 state: up mac: <filter> (in use currently)
Linux.Blue wrote: Thanks for the info.
I'll see what I wish to do then.
for sure! sry that took so long to determine, starting any thread these forums with inix -Fxz results in initial post usually clears up a lot of guess work, and is normally what I bring my new to linux experience to threads to ask folks for. I am having a bad brains for posting day though and not just in this thread. We may have sorted this a lot quicker had I asked for that info...

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:20 pm

So how do I start using it? I unplugged the USB, and tried to connect, but it keeps failing.
I go to edit connections, but unless I got the wrong setting, nothing is working.

Obviously I plugged the USB in now to type this, but otherwise, I get nothing.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am

Linux.Blue wrote:
.... Someone in this forum said you're good about helping with other distros. ...
I think that someone was mistaken. I've never seen any Linux forum that's much good at that really.

Distros like Debian and Fedora are NOT intended for newbies, don't bother. If you ask the typical sort of beginner question you'd see here in the Debian forums they'll usually just suggest you install Ubuntu or Mint.

If you really need a newer KDE distro I'd suggest Kubuntu, you simply cannot beat Ubuntu support.

If you don't need the newest release (and IMO you don't with that hardware) what's wrong with Mint 18.3 KDE? It has 2 years of support left.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 am

Linux.Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Are the days of running Linux on older systems invalid now?
No, but not all distros are created equal. For older systems, you'll get better results with a suitable distro and desktop environment. KDE may simply not be a good choice on < 2GB of RAM.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

redlined

Post by redlined » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Linux.Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:20 pm
So how do I start using it? I unplugged the USB, and tried to connect, but it keeps failing.
I go to edit connections, but unless I got the wrong setting, nothing is working.

Obviously I plugged the USB in now to type this, but otherwise, I get nothing.
If toggle internal wifi adapter state on/off isn't doing anything then we can move towards troubleshooting that. Before getting into settings though it may be worth your time to upgrade your kernel (4.15.0-20 is stock with LM19.1, newest is 4.15.0-45, avoid jump to 4.18 though, it's probably too new to still support your hardware) as well look at computer manufacturer site for newer BIOS to flash to.

after that, I have to say I am no good at wifi issues (I disable wifi, preferring less environmental radiation and plain faster speeds via ethernet port). But the basics amount to the same, regardless. Make sure DHCP assigned (by ISP) is set for both IP address and DNS, and if ISP is IPv6 ready then leave that tab set likewise. If not then set IPv6 to ignore will help resolve potential timeout issues.

There are good commands to determine if wifi is soft/hard blocked and such. I'll search around and see if I can find any help requests for that specific wifi adapter on the greater internets, as long as you are saying you do still want wifi but no longer want to use the already working USB adapter.

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm

So one question I should ask about support. What happens when that support expires? No more updates? No one willing to help?

I popped in 18.3 KDE, and discovered that it wasn't my favorite. It's 17.3.
I love the clean, non plasma look. I suppose the lightweight is best for me anyway.

My first system was Mandrake 8.(something). and I loved it. I don't need eye candy, flashing lights and stunning logos. I may not want something like too basic, but I just want the job done. 17.3 looked clean and nice. and I loved it!

I'll look around for some lightweight systems, thanks.

edit; adding text.

Lightweight still gives me the ability to download apps, right? I can still get k3b, libreoffice, soundkonverter, etc..
It's just not a lot of eye candy?

redlined

Post by redlined » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 pm

the one answer I come up with for most of that is, it depends. Only thing I can say for sure is support ending means only that OS will no longer receive updates, security nor otherwise (meaning LM17 gets "decoupled" from Linux Mint and Ubuntu repos and mirrors. I imagine additional repos, PPAs and direct installing/updating will still work, but even security backports for distro will not be provided by developers and maintainers.

Support in forums may be "upgrade OS" 9 times out of 10, but who knows until that time arrives :?:

and lightweight distro is just that, generally smaller and quicker so good even on older slower machines, and often removes 'eye-candy' but how much depends on which distro and what environment you run it in. I believe most distros include package managers, which is tool for simple(r) add/remove everything built for, or compatible with, that distro (apps, updates, etc)

Look at those lightweight distro lists I linked to, get a feel for what you are looking at and for, then search developers sites for bootable ISO (hybrid type, meaning live session and installer all in one) to burn to CD, DVD or USB drive and give it a day or three run, repeat until you find the one you want.

Also search these forums, many a times, especially in intros and chat about linux subforums the topic comes up of past experiences with tons of different distros and often includes pros and cons from the users experience. You can learn a lot about options out there by reading informative posts like that, better info than big media repeats handed out everywhere else. In the end, if 17.3 is the mammyjammy for ya, then go for broke, but if basic Linux internals skills are lacking then look for a good base distro and keep on it's upgrade timeline. you can also ask forum for general advice any time, something like 'I want this, what is the same and supported?' type thread will generate good responses.

Linux.Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux.Blue » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:45 am

Sorry that it has been so long. I have been quite busy with linux distros, home stuff, work, kids, etc.

Anyways, I did try Xubunutu. It wasn't too bad, but I have LinuxMint 19.1 MATE and I like it quite a bit.
Maybe one day, I'll buy more RAM or something for the computer. I'm using my laptop now as my main computer.

Thanks again.

Return to “Chat about Linux”