Sign petition for logitech support for linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxovios
Level 3
Level 3

Sign petition for logitech support for linux

Post by linuxovios »

Please sign here: http://chng.it/TbWvTNSs7f

Also, please make a post in logitech's community forums: https://community.logitech.com/s/questi ... ux-support

Even if you don't own a logitech product, everybody wins if a manufacturer like logitech starts supporting linux.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Sign petition for logitech support for linux

Post by Portreve »

I'm confused. Which Logitech device are you referring to?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have two Logitech devices--all my Linux Mint installs have supported them both.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Logitech hardware in use: 3 mouses (mice if you prefer), 1 keyboard, 2 UVC webcams, 3 transmitters - all work 100% and have done so for many years.

Way in the past, in the days of the Logitech Quickcam Pros, they needed the GSPCA drivers written by Michel Xhaard
(https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... sb-webcams) but that is now ancient history. The UVC driver is part of the driver collection in the kernel and one size fits all.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

It's a worthy cause but I shall not be signing that petition as I don't want change.org tracking me or collating data about me. In any case at least some of Logitech's products do actually work on Linux.
Cliff Coggin
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have two Logitech K740 wired illuminated USB keyboards and they both work in my two HP desktop tower computers (different HP year and models) running linux (Mint 19.1).

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... board-k740
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
PhilippeH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PhilippeH »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 am It's a worthy cause but I shall not be signing that petition as I don't want change.org tracking me or collating data about me.
Or even selling its databases to whoever is interested in collecting valid e-mail addresses and political views ;)
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

I've git a logitech cam and mike combo. Works perfectly ootb.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I've got a Logitech mouse and keyboard. They both "work" with Linux but I had to jump through a few hoops to get the extra mouse buttons to do what I wanted, and I'm still not happy with the scroll wheel speed. Both of these were easy to set up under Windows with the Logitech software so it would be nice to see Logitech port their software to Linux. I've signed your petition.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

All of my Logitech devices work flawlessly. 12 chipmunks (castrated mice [no ball] with no tails[wireless]) 3 female mice with tails. 4 wireless keyboards lighted. Only need batteries every year or so. No petitions required strictly plug and play with LM.
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

I don't think I've ever had a Logitech device that didn't work on GNU/Linux (disclaimer: the only Logitech devices I've only ever tried on Linux have been keyboards and mice). Now if there was a petition to get Logitech to make better quality USB receivers, so that you don't have to crack them open and insert paper underneath the USB contact in order for it to make contact with the computer's USB slot, then I'll sign it in an instant!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Over the years I've used two or three different Microsoft mice, two different Logitech mice, one model of Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (hey, it's been so solid and reliable I've never needed to replace it) and earlier this year I bought a Logitech webcam. I also have a USB microphone which originally was intended to be used on a gaming console of some kind (no idea which one it was for). Absolutely NONE of this stuff required the slightest effort on my part to make work. As I said above, I have no idea what the OP is referring to, but as long as the hardware is supported, there's no need to ask for what would presumably be proprietary drivers and control software. Why would you want to install that sort of stuff in GNU+Linux anyway?

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

For those people above that are saying "I plugged it in and it just worked, no need for Logitech to make Linux versions of their software available", I have a question for you: Did you try to reprogram any of the buttons (eg some Logitech mice come with 5 or more buttons and using the Logitech software under Windows allows you to change what happens when press these extra buttons)?

When I first installed Linux Mint I found that my Logitech M705 mouse worked just fine but that the two extra buttons on the side didn't do what I wanted; I like to have one button set to close browser tabs when I press it. After much Googling I found out how to do it (can't remember exactly how I did it but it involved installing some extra software (xbindkeys?) and then figuring out what the key codes were for the mouse buttons and setting up mapping so a Ctrl-W was generated when I pressed the side button on the mouse).

It's great that I was able to get my mouse working the way I like without having Logitech software, but I know the average user would have given up. If Logitech offered a Linux version of their Windows software, that identifys which model of mouse is being used and for each button lets the user simply select from a drop-down list of common commands, that would be so much easier than jumping through the hoops that I had to in order to get it to work.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Honestly, it sounds like this is really more of a job for the folks who handle user interface systems in GNU+Linux. I agree that there should be software available to both expose and to address extended functionality for human interface devices like mice and keyboards. It's really not appropriate to wish for proprietary software to be relied upon to handle these situations.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

linuxovios wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 am Please sign here: http://chng.it/TbWvTNSs7f

Also, please make a post in logitech's community forums: https://community.logitech.com/s/questi ... ux-support

Even if you don't own a logitech product, everybody wins if a manufacturer like logitech starts supporting linux.

Thank you.
?????????

I have been using LogiTech M510 mouse products for years, and they all work the instant I plug them in.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I have a Logitech key Board and several Logitech mice...all work with Linux Image I even have a Microsoft mouse Image and it works too...as a matter of fact I've never had anything that wouldn't work with Linux Mint. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

linuxovios wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 am Please sign here: http://chng.it/TbWvTNSs7f

Thank you.
Is it possible that was set up by somebody who just want to make fun of people to see how many would fall for it?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
linuxovios
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxovios »

bob466 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 am I have a Logitech key Board and several Logitech mice...all work with Linux Image I even have a Microsoft mouse Image and it works too...as a matter of fact I've never had anything that wouldn't work with Linux Mint. :D
Can you change dpi settings/profiles/assign custom keys ? No, because there is no support from logitech.

To all posters above: Also my logitech keyboard and mouse works out of the box. The problem is that I am not able to customise my gaming mouse and keyboard (logitech G602 and logitech G700+). I am not making fun of anyone....
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

linuxovios wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:19 pm
bob466 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 am I have a Logitech key Board and several Logitech mice...all work with Linux Image I even have a Microsoft mouse Image and it works too...as a matter of fact I've never had anything that wouldn't work with Linux Mint. :D
Can you change dpi settings/profiles/assign custom keys ? No, because there is no support from logitech.

To all posters above: Also my logitech keyboard and mouse works out of the box. The problem is that I am not able to customise my gaming mouse and keyboard (logitech G602 and logitech G700+). I am not making fun of anyone....
This says it all...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtuWuJxRCXA Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have used a Logitech keyboard and wireless trackball mouse for years with no issues. Is this for a hacker or spammer?

L

Return to “Chat about Linux”