What type of computer or device do you primarily use?

Chat about Linux in general
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What type of computer or device do you primarily use?

Post by catweazel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Dot_mdb wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 am
I've also learned that computers stay much cleaner when they are not on the floor especially if you have pets that shed.
The trick to keeping dust and hair out of your machines is to have a positive air pressure inside the case. Simply having more fans sucking air in than fans sucking out is enough. The pressure inside the case causes air to leak out of the holes thus keeping dust and fluff out. If you have more fans sucking air out then dust and fluff get sucked in through other holes in the case.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm
Dot_mdb wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 am
I've also learned that computers stay much cleaner when they are not on the floor especially if you have pets that shed.
The trick to keeping dust and hair out of your machines is to have a positive air pressure inside the case. Simply having more fans sucking air in than fans sucking out is enough. The pressure inside the case causes air to leak out of the holes thus keeping dust and fluff out. If you have more fans sucking air out then dust and fluff get sucked in through other holes in the case.
How do you build pressure inside the case if it is not through forcing outside air to the inside through fans? Of course if the air entering is filtered then it might create a cleaner environment. In my case I wanted cleaner and quiet, which means less fans. Taking the case off the floor eliminates a lot of the dirt and is a simple method which also makes the computer easier to service.

Bill

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I use a desktop at work every day. An always on desktop at home that gets used every day, and a desktop out in my workshop that get used for a few hours one or two days a week most weeks. A HTPC running Kodi that we use almost every day. A laptop that gets daily use around the house also. An android phone that gets used every day too. Also an Android tablet that gets used about four or five days a week. Plus about 4 or 5 desktop and a dozen or so other laptops that are just hobby machines.

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 am

I have a desktop as my main machine. I have always thought that, unless one needs to travel with it, a desktop is the way to go. Here are a few points why I favour a desktop over a laptop:
  • you can hang a monitor on a wall, one metre or more away from your eyes, while keeping the keyboard close: far less eye strain this way;
  • you can spill coffee on your keyboard without damaging the whole machine;
  • PCI cards & other expansions/upgrades are easy;
  • I have personally observed that the hardware tends to last more.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things but, if you rule out portability and the ability to store it away on a shelf, I really can't see how a laptop can be better than a desktop. Other than my desktop, my headless server gets a lot of use for downloads, backups, file storage and things like that. It's an old, decommissioned desktop from the early 2000s.

Of course, if one lives in an overcrowded apartment where one can't afford a proper desk, a laptop might save the day, but we can hardly call this a choice, can we?

I have used tablets and smartphones and I didn't like that stuff at all. The lack of a proper keyboard and terminal emulator were the things I missed most. I know a few people who use a tablet as their main computing device and I wonder how they manage such an oddity. These people, however, tend to use the same few online services and nothing more, and it can be argued that they are hardly doing any computing. Maybe some smartphoning.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 am

1. Android phone
2. Laptop (multiboot)
3. Android tablet
4. Desktop (multiboot)

cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cogsncogs » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 pm

An old (Nov 2011) cheapie eMachines desktop. Currently multi-booting 8 distos with a shared 500GB data partition. I'm planning on re-formating to lower that number to just 3 or 4 if the HDD holds up. :D
The wife uses a laptop with Linux Mint of course. I've offered to reinstall Windoze and she said "Ohhh, NO!" To answer your question, I definitely prefer a desktop. I'm retired and have my own computer room, a comfy office chair and a big-ass monitor so this old man can see what he's lookin' at. ;)
eMachines EL1852G-52w:
LM19.1 Xfce
Kubuntu 18.04.2
LM18.3 Cinnamon
Ubuntu 14.04
PepermintOS 6
LM18.3 KDE
Xubuntu 14.04
Ubuntu 16.04.2 Mate

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm

One that uses electricity and keys. Does digital stuff.
The Abacus is ok. but not wireless.
Same with the Etch A Sketch.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 pm

lexon wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm
One that uses electricity and keys. Does digital stuff.
The Abacus is ok. but not wireless.
Same with the Etch A Sketch.

L
Only problem I ever had with the Etch A Sketch was that it could not do colours very well.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm

ganamant wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 am

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things but, if you rule out portability and the ability to store it away on a shelf, I really can't see how a laptop can be better than a desktop. Other than my desktop, my headless server gets a lot of use for downloads, backups, file storage and things like that. It's an old, decommissioned desktop from the early 2000s.
I too have a Win7 desktop that is 24/7/365 and gets moderate use.

but, for everyday use, it is a laptop hands down.... in my recliner where I can see the TV and fall asleep with it on my lap if need be.... and that happens a lot :lol:

Over the past two years, my laptop has overtaken all of the desktop duties, except for TurboTax and one or two minor apps that won't run on Linux.....

If I could run TurboTax on Linux ( no cloud suggestions please ), I would be done with Windows forever. ( Clouds are made to be broken, and loss of access at inopportune times )

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:25 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm
but, for everyday use, it is a laptop hands down.... in my recliner where I can see the TV and fall asleep with it on my lap if need be.... and that happens a lot
That would actually be one more point against laptops for me. Maybe you can concentrate on two things at once, but I can't. Thinking about it, maybe you can't either, since you are falling asleep when you do it. Computers tend to be time black holes, even when you are aware of this issue beforehand or during use. That's one more reason for sitting at a desk on a hard chair (seriously!) and taking frequent breaks away from the monitor. Two monitors at a time, for me at least, are an impossibility.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
If I could run TurboTax on Linux ( no cloud suggestions please ), I would be done with Windows forever. ( Clouds are made to be broken, and loss of access at inopportune times )
I'm sure you have considered using a VM for TurboTax or maybe Wine.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:48 am

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm sure you have considered using a VM for TurboTax or maybe Wine.
yeah, I did, going to give that a go and see what happens when I get back home from vacation...

oh, now I know why I can't, it won't run on WinXP
and I can't install any of the Win7 Pro editions on VM anymore.....
they stop dead when it asks for my credentials, and it states "Invalid......"

MS is not allowing us to install Win7 anything anymore...

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 am

Mine is and will always be my Desktop Computer which I use 99% of the time. Image I do have a Laptop but I can do so much more on my Desktop. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

DJF113
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DJF113 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:57 pm

I use only laptops at home. My Alienware is my gaming rig, also used for video editing. I am learning to use my Mint on my Inspiron, it'll probably be used for video and photo editing. I have a Vostro 2520 that's not used much anymore. There's an XPS tower that I use as a media server, and a Pavilion a6120n that I don't use at all any more. I also have a couple of junk towers that I cannibalize from time to time!
Alienware 17R4, i7-7820HK, 16GB DDR4, 256SSD, 1TBHDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX1070, Win10/LM19 (Gaming Rig)
Dell Inspiron 17 5758, i5-4210U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Linux Mint 19
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:55 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
I too have a Win7 desktop that is 24/7/365
How do you manage that, even with "moderate" use? I used to manage it with xp for weeks at a time (admittedly, with hibernate to save power out-of-hours, so not really "always-on") but found Win7 wouldn't usually run for more than a few days without a reboot, IIRC! :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Chat about Linux”