[Solved] Cloning To Larger Hard Drive

Chat about Linux in general
mokanman
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Cloning To Larger Hard Drive

Post by mokanman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I have seen numerous methods of cloning to a larger hard drive on the web and everyone has their reasons for using "their" method. I chose to follow a tutorial posted on this forum at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=228540 by austin.texas but am running into a few difficulties. Let me first explain that I'm working with an Ubuntu hard drive pulled from one machine and installed temporarily into another Ubuntu machine trying to clone to a larger drive temporarily installed in that machine as well. The new drive is destined to replace the drive I'm trying to clone.

I acknowledge this is a Mint forum and I am actually very seriously considering moving to Mint because of what I can only term as the Micky Mousery that has been the history behind Ubuntu. While Canonical seems, in my opinion, to follow some questionable tactics I understand that they have a business view of Ubuntu (their business, obviously). That is where Mint provides a very enticing reason to make the jump. That will have to come later for me, however, to ensure that I don't flub up the move as I need time to study and prepare.

Anyway, back to my current need. I am making an assumption that the tutorial provided by austin.texas can be used in my circumstances with a few changes. There are some holes in my understanding of things, however, such as the fact that I am trying move from a 2TB to 3TB drive and I am concerned there may be issues with drives larger than 2TB that may affect my goal. The original drive has msdos partitioning which I believe does not support drives larger than 2TB but hopefully that does not matter as far as copying the partition to a drive that has been set up as GPT (per the tutorial)? Also, my original partition appears to have the boot flag but the tutorial sets up a new unformatted partition with the boot flag and after a copy it appears there is still a boot flag on the copied partition. Hmmm!

Gparted appears to allow the opportunity to resize the partition when I make the copy. I wanted to verify that is a correct assumption as I would rather not have to resize after making the copy. That may be a question for a different forum somewhere else but I thought that with all the smart people here that I could get all my answers here! :D

The tutorial instructions after the copy refer to editing files on the copy (that's my take, anyway) but I want to make sure that I will not affect the machine that I am using to do the work. That machine has it's own Ubuntu environment (yes, I know... bad! bad!) on it's own hard drive (sda) and the drives I am copying from/to (sdb/sdc) will be removed when the process has been completed. The newly copied drive (sdc) will then be moved back to the machine to replace the source drive (sdb in this case). The partition is currently being copied (again... let's just say I need to correctly complete the follow-up to the copy process this time).

For those of you in love with Clonezilla, I have successfully used it before but don't want to use the source machine for this purpose as it does not have as many SATA ports, is an older and slower machine and I just want to learn how to do this using Gparted! If there was a way to run Clonezilla in a window of a Linux machine (without setting up a virtual machine) then I would consider that, but again, I like the seemingly hands on, "under the hood", approach using Gparted.

Thanks in advance to any and all who have wisdom to impart and please forgive my lack of knowledge and communication skills...
Last edited by mokanman on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cloning To Larger Hard Drive

Post by bob466 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 am

Welcome mokanman to the Mint Forum,

If I wanted to copy the contents of say a 500GB HDD to a 1000GB HDD or larger...I would create a System Image. Then Re-Image the larger HDD...then boot to my Live DVD/Flash Drive and open GParted and extend the un-allocated space. Image
This is how I create a System Image...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 if you're interested.

If you have a Swap Partition...you need to turn Swap off and move it to the end first...hope this helps. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 am

Or you could use clonezilla or redo. I used redo when I did this but found I needed boot-repair as it didn't put grub on the new drive.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 am
I used redo when I did this but found I needed boot-repair as it didn't put grub on the new drive.
This doesn't happen with Macrium Rescue Disk...it never has because you can Verify the Image so you know it's good. :D

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi mokanman,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi mokanman,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

+1 for using the free CloneZilla Live.

You can easily copy and paste partitions using a bootable CD/DVD or USB stick of the installation version of Linux Mint with gparted or the free GParted Live. Afterward, you may have to run "sudo update-grub /dev/sda" to update the bootloader or to whatever the new drive's designation is, or run the "boot-repair-disk". I was very impressed with how extremely fast gparted is to copy and paste partitions.
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I am visiting my son who has 4 laptops that he needed to clone for his company's use.
4 models, all needed the same exact OS and applications...

I started with Macrium Reflect Free, but when I tried to put the image on "new hardware" it said I have to have a Licensed version for that purpose.

Okay, looked at the price of buying a commericial version.....
Then later the same day, my son and I were drifting thru the isles at Fry's Electronics and happened to spot a Corsair Cloning kit for $24.99 :shock:

Looked at the instructions, and forgot all about Macrium Reflect, which needs the subject laptop booted up on the MR DVD.....

the Corsair DVD boots to ready to go in about 30 seconds flat.
Plug in the USB dongle, and press GO.

and that was all it takes..... I cloned 5 HDDs and one SSD for him in just a few hours.
it takes 1 hr 10 minutes for 500gB drive clone.

for us, it worked out perfect.

the subject drives were all different sizes and were smaller than the 500gB image.
I noticed when it was at 98% done, it put up a message about adjusting disk size and it took care of that issue quiet nicely. all 4 laptops booted perfectly..... other than we had to spend a bit of time getting the drivers correct for each laptop... but it all worked perfect in the end.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:23 am

I've noticed a lot of people on the Forum recommend Clonezilla and say how easy it is to use...what I find strange after going through 10 pages in Tutorials going back to 2015 there's no Tutorial on how to use it. Image

Maybe someone should write an easy to use Tutorial...instead of people searching Google and Youtube. Image Image

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm
Okay, looked at the price of buying a commericial version.....
Then later the same day, my son and I were drifting thru the isles at Fry's Electronics and happened to spot a Corsair Cloning kit for $24.99 :shock:
https://alternativeto.net/software/aome ... form=linux

All free.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 am

they may be All Free - - but is there any Tutorial, for any of them ?.
- - I've used the program Gparted, on any Live Media, to do this task:
but, there always was the Boot Loader Issue, that still had to be fixed up.
:roll:

NB: I've also used both clonezilla & redo - as well.
& both still had that Boot Loader Issue, too.

sometime, way back in the past, I've actually did manage to clone an working duplicated drive,
& I've also long since forgotten just how I'd done that.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:58 am

Pierre wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 am
they may be All Free - - but is there any Tutorial, for any of them ?.
Pressing F1 in KDE Partition Manager opens the KDE Partition Manager Handbook :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am

the Free stuff may well work for those using KDE, which I don't.

Clonezilla is anything but user friendly, I gave up on it long ago.
it is too easy to destroy the main drive, instead of making a copy to the target drive.

software cloning does not always make the target drive bootable.

my little experiment with making 5 hard drives the clone of the good one, worked 5 out of 5 times, and it has a GUI to follow, so simple a monkey could follow through with it. And every one of the drives booted up in the test laptops.

now the little clone adapter is only good for making a Full Image of the subject drive to a target drive.
but it does that faithfully.

Also, this little tiny Cloning Kit automatically made appropriate adjustments for smaller and larger target hard drives, and it cloned to an SSD equally as well.

And finally, I was having to Clone a Windows 7 HDD.... Clonezilla won't work there unless I use a Live Session.... again, way too fraught with errors and I did not have time to be screwing around.
I had a six hour window to get the job done, period. and I did it with the little Corsair adapter.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 pm

You can Clone one HDD to another using Macrium...I did it for years in Windoze...you can use a Docking Bay to Clone too but a few years ago I found a System Image has many more advantages...no Boot Loader problems...anyway people can use what they like. Image

mokanman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mokanman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:02 am

Wow... I had no idea I had so many replies until I just now logged on. I never received any email notifications so I must not have set whatever is necessary to do that (I'll rectify after I post this reply). Anyway, thanks to all who replied. Not knowing of your replies I plodded forward and have tried multiple times to make the original approach work and I think I can get it to work if I can just understand all the changes needed for breaking the 2.2TB barrier so to speak as well as the associated (and I'm assuming) necessary change from MBR partitioning to GPT. Using the gparted method is pretty intense with all of the initial partition set up and follow-up changes necessary after the copy so I probably made mistakes somewhere.

While I appreciate everyone's input on the different products you've used I'm probably going to try the dcfldd command (disk to disk) which is a variant of the dd command that among many other things shows progress. I'll follow that up with gdisk which I've read has a pretty good track record of changing MBR to GPT (my source disk is MBR). Then I should be able to use gparted to increase the Linux partition to use the remainder of the disk. I'll report back with the result.

mokanman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mokanman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 am

For anyone interested, here is how I cloned my 2TB drive to a new 3TB drive using austin.texas tutorial viewtopic.php?f=42&t=228540 as a guide:

Definitely make a GPT partition table as that is needed for larger than 2.2TB.
I followed all austin.texas steps up to and including changing to a new UUID.
I then installed the larger drive with copied partition into the original computer (replacing the original 2.2TB drive).
I booted using the Ubuntu Live CD (I used 16.04 can probably use newer - can probably use Mint live CD)
Sudo mount drive per austin.texas.
Edit fstab with new UUID per austin.texas..
Here is where my alternate approach starts in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

I selected "Recommended repair button"
When the process completed I was able to boot successfully from my newly installed larger disk! My entire system and drivers were intact and I was rockin n rollin!!

Return to “Chat about Linux”