Best Linux OS for older devices

Chat about Linux in general
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Best Linux OS for older devices

Post by Dot_mdb » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Plop can be used for booting from a hub also.

Bill

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Why some people keep resurrecting very old PCs is beyond my comprehension
I´m equally if not more puzzled why the fact that we do resurrect legacy computers really seems to bother some people. :?:

cgs1025
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cgs1025 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Some folks need to be bigger, better, newer, etc.
Being quite old myself, I don't mind waking up each day and performing adequately.... like my older computers using Mint.

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:50 pm

The old computers a door stop or a paperweight and the o/s is a free download.
If it works great.
If it doesn´t ... no big deal ... at least you´ve had a bit of fun and might even have learned something.
The more we play with these toys the more we learn.
Some people need to ´chill´.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 am

Minux1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:50 pm
If it works great.
If it doesn´t ... no big deal ... at least you´ve had a bit of fun and might even have learned something.
The more we play with these toys the more we learn.
Exactly! Learning stuff is always good & a great bonus when some supposedly obsolete equipment can be put to practical use. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I have a dozen year old AOA150 netbook that is giving me a respectable performance on Linux Mint v19.2 XFCE 32 bit. It has the factory 160 GB HDD, 1.6 GHz 32 bit CPU, 1.5 GB RAM (1/2 GB more than factory). Satisfactory on boot up, web surfing, emailing ... she´s no gamer. The only peculiarity I´ve noticed is that I have to double tap the single ´ and double ¨ quotation marks or they won´t print out. Probably has more to do with faulty keyboard settings than the PC or the o/s. :mrgreen:

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Friend of mine has a ¨skeleton¨ Linux distro (probably antiX) loaded up on a rather ancient IBM branded P3 laptop which seems capable of basic recreational computing (surfing, emailing). I kinda doubt if he does internet banking or credit card purchases on it. I watched him operating the old relic of a laptop and it seems to function surprisingly well. The N270 Atom processor being used in many netbooks running Linux is not much zippier than a P3.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Minux1 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:47 pm
Friend of mine has a ¨skeleton¨ Linux distro (probably antiX) loaded up on a rather ancient IBM branded P3 laptop which seems capable of basic recreational computing (surfing, emailing).
A P3? Web surfing with an up to date modern web browser? Hard to believe. Very hard. In fact, I don't believe it. It's bollocks.

If that friend of yours is doing his "basic recreational surfing" with a prehistoric outdated hyper-insecure web browser, tell him he's nuts to risk his security like that.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Like I said ... I don’t think he’s doing credit card and banking transactions on that old lamer laptop.
The hackers can’t access what’s not there.
He has a smile on his face and looks like he’s having fun.
Not as intense as some. :D

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Here are the system requirements for antiX direct from the antiX Linux FAQ page:
antiX should run on most computers, ranging from 192MB old PII systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes.

antiX-core and antiX-net will run with 128MB RAM plus swap, but don’t expect miracles!

192MB RAM is the recommended minimum for antiX. 256MB RAM and above is preferred especially for antiX-full.

antiX-full needs a 3.8GB minimum hard disk size. antiX-base needs 2.6GB and antiX-core needs 1.0GB. antiX-net needs 0.7GB.
If it's OK on a PII, I don't see why it wouldn't run satisfactorily on a PIII machine. Sure, it won't be a speed demon, but it should function and be secure enough for most things as the ISO includes the latest Firefox ESR.

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 pm

XP could run on 64 MB and was comfortable on 128 MB RAM and XP could easily run on modestly resourced P3 PCs.
It’s not hard to imagine antiX or Puppy running on the same not having to drag a resource sucking AV suite in tow.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 am

It's not the operating system that renders antique PIII's virtually unusable. It's the modern web browser.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:52 am

And a modern web browser is needed to interact with the modern web. I use the Ikea homepage as a benchmark: if that won't render or brings either the browser or the OS to their knees, I consider the machine to be unsuitable for any realistic purpose.

Are horse wagons still usable? In and of themselves they are, but... not on the motorway. It's the nature of progress that some things will become unsuitable for daily use even if they are technically still functional.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm

TRUE
To think otherwise would reveal a lack of a basic understanding of how the modern internet works. :)
My little AOA150 netbook (1.5 GB RAM, 1.6GHz Atom N270) is right on the cusp.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:52 am
I use the Ikea homepage as a benchmark:
Interesting thought, is that because of all the graphics or the coding? I'd not have considered it as any more demanding than many other pages.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 am

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 pm
Moem wrote:
I use the Ikea homepage as a benchmark:
Interesting thought, is that because of all the graphics or the coding? I'd not have considered it as any more demanding than many other pages.
It isn't. It's a good example of a pretty normal modern webpage. It would not make a good benchmark if it were more demanding than most pages.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Moem wrote:
And a modern web browser is needed to interact with the modern web. I use the Ikea homepage as a benchmark: if that won't render or brings either the browser or the OS to their knees, I consider the machine to be unsuitable for any realistic purpose.

Are horse wagons still usable? In and of themselves they are, but... not on the motorway. It's the nature of progress that some things will become unsuitable for daily use even if they are technically still functional.
The criteria for ¨useful¨, ¨usable¨ or ¨functional¨ are user defined.
If secure internet use is a set in stone criterion then you are quite right.
My kid still watches DVD movies on a IBM ThinkPad A22m Pentium 3 laptop with XP on it.
No AV or anti-malware just the O/S and an old version of VLC.
Does he do his online banking on the same machine? ... NOPE.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Minux1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm
The criteria for ¨useful¨, ¨usable¨ or ¨functional¨ are user defined.
If secure internet use is a set in stone criterion then you are quite right.
My kid still watches DVD movies on a IBM ThinkPad A22m Pentium 3 laptop with XP on it.
No AV or anti-malware just the O/S and an old version of VLC.
Does he do his online banking on the same machine? ... NOPE.
You're right, it is very much user defined. If a machine is not used for browsing the web, and in fact does not connect to the internet at all, then that changes things considerably.

Minux1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minux1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Moem wrote:

They have some “bare bones” browsers out there.
Exactly what base line resources these “no frills” browsers would require that would still enable all necessary security protocols for the modern internet I’m not sure.
Could a P3 machine run such a browser without the system being brought to its knees?
I’ll leave that question to the experts.
I’m a newbie here to learn Linux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”