Best Linux OS for older devices

Chat about Linux in general
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Best Linux OS for older devices

Post by Minux1 »

Extensions?
My ¨lamer¨ machines are solely for rudimentary functions like email, browsing, playing movies from media files or dvd.
The O/Ss and software I run on them are bare bones and they handle it well.
Do I do online banking or run the latest Luke Nukem takes Manhattan games on the lamers? ... NOPE!
Tasks requiring more security, cpu cycles, ram are relegated to my muscle machines.
All about picking the right tool for the job.
Keeping the 15 year old lamers running is a labour of love not necessity or efficiency.
People need to RELAX.

raza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by raza »

there are numerous distros available which are light is not easy specially for old devices u can use lxle xfce or sparky if have less than 1 gb ram or 1 ghz processor then u need to install these distro i found vedio of best light weight distro if u want u can check it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjH1uN9oBg
hope u will find best light weight distro
thnx

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

sleeper12 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:15 pm
You also need to consider if your machine is PAE or non-PAE.
Haha

You guys crack me up around here omg.

Go research what that really means please.

sleeper12
Level 10
Level 10

Post by sleeper12 »

NuBz wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 pm
sleeper12 wrote:
Haha

Picky, picky, picky :!: :roll:

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

BG405 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm
rick gen wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 am
Why some people keep resurrecting very old PCs is beyond my comprehension
when affordable ones with even earlier dual cores are still capable.
Affordability is entirely subject to one's disposable income. Also, some people do it as a hobby. In my case I resurrected an ancient Dell 350MHz PII mostly out of curiosity and decided it'd be a good candidate for use for archival purposes, so I fitted a 5-port USB card and swapped the CD-ROM for a 5¼ inch floppy drive, so I can archive all the old pc magazine cover disks etc. & if I can get my CatWeazel PCI card working I'll be able to use it for archival of my Commodore 64 stuff .. and, at some point, resume development of my GUI project.

I'd also like to add that I'm currently 100% dependent on hand-me-downs to fix up and can not at present afford a decent replacement mouse, let alone a computer. My newest machine is almost 5 years old & that was also given to me.
rick gen wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 am
I often wonder how many more Linux developers are still wasting their time with older devices,
instead of moving forward, just to cater to users who are basically doing it for no useful purpose other than for tinkering.
I'm afraid I disagree. Apart from being a hobby, these machines still have their uses. I'm glad there are still viable (and quite decent) OSes to run on them. There are also the poorer countries to consider. :wink: :)
Moem wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am
MX Linux, Peppermint OS and AntiX
Of the three, I've so far only tried Peppermint (7, it was a while ago) and really liked the look of it. Still have the ISO. Must try the latest one. :)
I completely agree, not everyone has the cash to buy a 'low budget' computer. My current device is an Acer laptop with a Celeron that started with 4GB of ram. It runs LM 19.3 just fine and one heck of a lot better than Win 10. I will continue to find/purchase cheap older computers to run what I need. Thanks to all the developers that allow people on fixed incomes to continue using their older machines.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Just installed MX Linux 64 bit on an old Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook (1.2 GHz DUO CPU) after changing out the prehistoric HDD for a 250 GB Crucial SSD (SATA).
Blazing fast.
4 GB RAM was plenty.
MX Linux and Linux Mint XFCE are my 2 GOTOs for old hardware.
I draw the line at PATA (IDE) ... you can't race a 3-legged horse.
They have to be at least 1st generation SATA.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Minux1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:29 pm
At least with desktop/tower systems, one can usually add a SATA card .. but guess the motherboard & CPU specs may let the side down with such old hardware.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

BG405 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:46 pm
Minux1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:29 pm
At least with desktop/tower systems, one can usually add a SATA card .. but guess the motherboard & CPU specs may let the side down with such old hardware.
The computer is generally as fast as it's slowest component in the drive>cpu>ram critical path. The ancient ribbon cables and buses are pretty slow.

For example in my dozen year old Acer netbooks that component is the puny single thread 1.6 GHz Atom CPU which "red lines" long before the 2 GB RAM is used up.

Packing these lightweights with SATA standard SSDs and tons of redundant ram is an exercise in futility.

A 90 pound weakling with a "loud" muscle shirt on is still a weakling.

NuBz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NuBz »

sleeper12 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:49 pm
NuBz wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 pm
sleeper12 wrote:
Haha

Picky, picky, picky :!: :roll:
Not really.
It was just funny to me since it wouldn't make any difference at all unless you needed PAE for the reason PAE exists and the machine would work fine anyway without it(except that you may be missing some usable ram).

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

There's nothing wrong with using an old computer - it's a good hobby and you get to learn a lot about operating systems.

I have an old intel P4 with 2.5 GB of ram on which I'm running Antix Linux. They have a version for just about any system. It plays You tube videos just fine using the Pale Moon browser. I also have a Compaq 32 bit Laptop from 2007 that runs Bunsen Labs Hydrogen with no problem. I even got it to play movie DVDs. I realize that one day these will be trashed, but for now I'm having fun playing around with the old machines, especially during the covid-19 lockdown.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

I have Linux Lite on my 8 year old Laptop and runs very well...it ran Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 very well too...it does have 4GB of Ram and a i5 CPU which helps. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Chat about Linux”