Personal thoughts

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Personal thoughts

Post by pascal111 »

After using Linux Mint for sometime - I'm still learning - I found myself with two characters, the person of Windows and the other of Linux. In Windows life I'm familiar to search in Google for anything I seek, I've an assumption that Internet is an open world that has millions of users and sites, you'll find surly what you're searching for, now, many many times this assumption doesn't work, I felt Internet as if it's a narrow area, many things you like, you've to pay to get, there's no problem for whom wants to make money via Internet, but if we closed all knowledge sources for those unable to pay, we'll have a big amount of ignorance.

In Windows I supposed that I google then download then setup or read, it was working like this before, in Linux by reading how to install a software, you'll learn that there's many free supported stuff, making money by new technologies is so good thing but maybe some people need free knowledge and technology sources to be at least in some educated level with modern world, you notice this good point in Linux.

... to be continued
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Self-made poems and fables https://soundcloud.com/user-393369096
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Personal thoughts

Post by Tomgin5 »

Very True Pascal111.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you...it's like trying to work out what came first...the Chicken or the Egg. Image Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bob466 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 am I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you...it's like trying to work out what came first...the Chicken or the Egg.
Chickens evolved from lizards, which were laying eggs millions of years before chickens came along. Clearly the egg came first :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 am
bob466 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 am I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you...it's like trying to work out what came first...the Chicken or the Egg.
Chickens evolved from lizards, which were laying eggs millions of years before chickens came along. Clearly the egg came first :mrgreen:
What about half a glass of water...is it Half Full or Half Empty ? Image If I worried about these types of things...I'd end up in the nut house for sure. Image Image
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bob466 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:48 am What about half a glass of water...is it Half Full or Half Empty ? If I worried about these types of things...I'd end up in the nut house for sure.
If it takes 1 hour to dig a hole, how long will it take you to dig half a hole?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 am Chickens evolved from lizards, which were laying eggs millions of years before chickens came along. Clearly the egg came first :mrgreen:
And before the egg , there were complex amino acids with the astonishing power of self-replication , which led to .....
..... us !

So in poker terminology , I'll see your "egg" and raise you "an amino acid " .... 8)

Oops .... off topic !
I should report myself .... I'll get my coat !
:mrgreen:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 am Oops .... off topic !
No. I used LM to post these messages, and I fold amino acids on this machine too :)

Folding at home to the rescue.

Mind you, the thread is about personal thoughts...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Do you mean we have to think, too?????? :shock: :shock: :( :( :(
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:16 am
Faust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 am Oops .... off topic !
No. I used LM to post these messages, and I fold amino acids on this machine too :)

Folding at home to the rescue.

Mind you, the thread is about personal thoughts...
How do you know these are not my personal thoughts ? I might think about this all the time. Image Image
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:40 am Do you mean we have to think, too?????? :shock: :shock: :( :( :(
Only until the cows come home.....
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Speaking of personal Thoughts. I have been receiving hundreds of spam and political e-mails daily for the last year or so. Only 1 or 2 do I actually look at and NOT send to the junk folder.
I decided to check the typed of OS the sender was using and over 95% came from Microsoft OS. I made up a standard reply stating that "My server is detecting a Microsoft WORM or spyware and is sending the e-mail to directly to "Firejail". I do not reply or respond to infected enquiries and this will be my only response to their string of spam mail. :twisted: smiley included.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

Tomgin5 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:53 am Speaking of personal Thoughts. I have been receiving hundreds of spam and political e-mails daily for the last year or so. Only 1 or 2 do I actually look at and NOT send to the junk folder.
I decided to check the typed of OS the sender was using and over 95% came from Microsoft OS. I made up a standard reply stating that "My server is detecting a Microsoft WORM or spyware and is sending the e-mail to directly to "Firejail". I do not reply or respond to infected enquiries and this will be my only response to their string of spam mail. :twisted: smiley included.
I've two visions I've seen in my dreams in my sleeping, I saw once that I've a small electronic device that works with Windows in nature I experienced before in Saudi Arabia, Windows versions at that days have special taste and good degree for Saudi Arabia people, it wasn't the same for Egyptians, and a hidden enemy in the same vision took the device from me when I wasn't taking my attention to it and made me to have another device with another system that's low in quality than that kind of Windows, and the hidden enemy like hated me to have something special, I don't know why? and it seemed in the vision that we don't have special Windows like that days in Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, it's a vision about Windows, the other one I've seen about Linux, particularity Mint that I was working in Linux on my computer and my heart interact with Linux because it's core, I think it's the kernel, the vision said "core" in English although my native language is Arabic, I think it meant "kernel" of Linux, and this gave my heart good feelings when it works with Linux.

These two visions for your mentioning Windows spamming :)
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I think this topic is more appropriate to be included in General Linux Chat forum, if the moderator liked that, I'm learning Linux via Linux Mint for that may be I supposed that this forum the appropriate one.

Anyway, let's continue my thoughts. I've read more about Linux past two weeks, one of points I noticed is that Linux cares in security, there's much trusted safe packages to download and use, maybe an old logic I've used with Windows will work in Linux that if I'm avoiding setupping(installing) software that I'm not sure of its source and supporting, it'll increase my system security and stability, I tried that logic with Windows but for unknown reasons I felt that Windows dosen't work probably through time, I think this kind of thinking is working well with Linux. It's bad feelings when you avoid harming your system and it'll be harmed although your tries, it make no sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pascal111 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am I think this topic is more appropriate to be included in General Linux Chat forum
I agree, it's moved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

Thanks Moem!
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I've read from more than one source about distros meaning in world of Linux, I remember at the period of Windows XP that we've seen something like distros but they weren't distros in world of Windows, I don't know if they've a specific name in English, the idea is if a hobbyist or advanced user of Windows took a Windows XP copy and included it some necessary programs and additional ones for many tasks and make it in a bootable Windows CD, so when you take this version of Windows XP and setup it, you'll found it new one and it setup automatically necessary programs like directx and office and many things, you can see too that it has new wallpapers and icons, a new manner. I think those makers were using some programs to do these new versions of Windows, in fact, they aren't real new versions or new OS other than the original Windows XP, I think that I tried once to read about that programs and use 'em to customize and make my own Windows XP but to do real good one I think I needed to learn more about Windows to understand how it works.

In Linux world, distros aren't like that versions of Windows, I think one distro is a complete independent OS, it's real complete work since its core. I've now more good idea about distro, one some equal idea between distro and that Windows XP versions that the distro collect the necessary applications that serve an orientation of kind of tasks that some users are looking for. For me for example, I don't know what's Linux and I want a distro that's appropriate to make me invade the world of Linux and in the same time I want distro that can make general purposes like my Windows OS, Linux mint is one of good choices in Linux world distros to do this.

Person that dosen't know what's distro means will have a problem in the beginning when he tries to learn Linux, he can download a distro for advanced Linux users and he may be shocked, he may think Linux is so complex and isn't proper for him.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I found interesting things about Linux, one of 'em while I'm googling for something I found "Commodore OS" distro, https://archiveos.org/commodoreos/ I didn't expect that Linux distro can be made with this flavor, the flavor of one of beautiful computer periods, the days of home computers before PC the personal ones today we have, the bad news is that the company of this distro isn't exist anymore according to what I've read about this distro in Wikipedia.

Another interesting point I've read is that it can be there distros to be used to heal and cure Windows machines from viruses, this information is increasing the Linux degree among other OS's.

Another like point is that advanced users can make and customize new distros, they can get kernel and interfaces and gather 'em together.

You can run DOS programs with emulator in Linux, you can run Windows applications too, someone can say that we don't have to use DOS or Windows software here in Linux, we've software in Linux to do what we need or want. Look, we can say that an OS can't run another OS applications, it's acceptable and normal statement, but when you say "look, Linux can run this and that and that ... etc", this's increasing the specialty of Linux or OS being able to that. Sometimes, we're looking for new ways of computing, we're looking for artistic ways, it's not because we need to do this, but the desire in new world to experience and try something new or with new way. When we emphasize on particular way with no acceptable reason, at that time we're against the liberalism in the modern era.
bodhin

Post by bodhin »

how can you be in 2 places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

Return to “Chat about Linux”