Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Interest: If ever there was reason to uninstall mono, this is it

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Your set of how-to pages are fantastic.
Thanks for your compliments! Nice to hear. :)
Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Your pages should have, I think, visibility here on LMF.
Well, there's my forum signature, and there are also other people who refer to my website in their signatures. Furthermore, I often refer to how-to's on my website when I'm trying to help somebody....

The Linux Mint community does have its own collection of tutorials, some of which are probably very good. Headstrong and protective of my texts as I am, I don't want to turn my website into some sort of community project. That might be an obstacle for any (semi) official status on LMF. I don't want to speak for the LMF maintainers of course, but that would be an understandable objection.

In fact, I started my website (the Dutch one, which was the first) after leading the Documentation Team of Ubuntu NL (Netherlands and Flanders) for a while. That wasn't much to my liking, because (being headstrong) I didn't enjoy other people making changes in my texts. So I quit that job and started my own documentation. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I guess what I'm trying to get at, Pjotr, is Linux Mint is not designed to be set up in as optimized and secure a way as your guides help users to do. I'm not sure why the LM installation wouldn't bother to try and notice if it's being installed on a conventional spinning disk or SSD and thereby give users an OOB installed system along the lines of what you advocate. It's almost like this is being argued on some sort of "free will" basis, my opinion of which is it is a stupid argument to make.

Seriously, what kind of person says, “Here's my distribution, and if you do nothing else it will cause excessive wear on an SSD, which not only are we going to let stand, but we're not even going to bother to tell the user that is the case or that they can take action about it” ?

The "issue" with your guides is not your guides themselves, but the seeming a posteriori knowledge requirement to know to look for them in the first place. If this phrasing makes it sound as though I'm blaming you, I apologize. I'm not blaming you; I'm merely being specific in my general criticism of Linux Mint.

If nobody had started up this particular thread, I would have known nothing about the potential ramifications of Mono's presence on my system (again, why would someone think it was acceptable to put it on there by default knowing it will get installed if the user chooses to install software which requires it?) and maybe nothing would have ever come of it, as has thus far been the case, or maybe something would have come of it, and there would have been no realistic way of me, the user, guarding against it on my own.

I also get your wanting the freedom and total control over your guides which comes only with singular, private ownership thereof. I'm sensible of your reasoning on that matter, and I agree with you fully. Again, thanks for doing what you do.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Well, the default settings of Linux Mint won't cause excessive wear on an SSD. Nor is Linux Mint significantly insecure by default, even though it does contain Mono by default. :)

Nor are the other defaults unreasonable. Quite on the contrary: on the whole, the default settings of Linux Mint are a reasonable compromise that should give most users a pretty good, pretty secure and pretty well usable system. So I think there's nothing to blame the Mint devs for....

It's just that in my personal opinion those default settings can be improved somewhat, in order to create a system that's a bit better, a bit more secure and a bit better usable than the default system. "One size fits all" versus "tailor made". Hence my website. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

So with Mono present by default in Linux Mint, I uninstalled it in my Mint 19.1 Tessa systems using:

sudo apt-get remove mono-runtime-common

But won’t it be reinstalled automatically should you unwittingly install an application that needs the Mono infrastructure? Also, after running the removal above, might I find some default applications no longer work? FYI as a "newbie" only two months in I've never added anything not directly provided by the Update Manager -- and hopefully never will.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

B2WJ wrote:
But won’t it be reinstalled automatically should you unwittingly install an application that needs the Mono infrastructure?
Yes, so when installing new apps you should carefully read all of its description so as to know beforehand if it requires mono.
B2WJ wrote:
Also, after running the removal above, might I find some default applications no longer work?
Don't apps that need mono get removed when removing mono? I thought they did.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

B2WJ wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 pm
won’t it be reinstalled automatically should you unwittingly install an application that needs the Mono infrastructure?
You should get a warning, telling you about the dependencies that are going to get installed if you go ahead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

Don't apps that need mono get removed when removing mono? I thought they did.
Makes sense; I should have scanned the removal output more carefully. So I'll assume such removals to be the case unless informed otherwise.
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

Hi,

many thanks for this important information to catweazel and also to Pjotr .

I paid that "very low price" :wink:

In my installation, only two programs were deleted by removing mono.

One of them was tomboy ...... and that was automatically replaced (with synaptic-management) by gnote.
...... and gnote can handle all tomboy-notes :D (i did not know so far)
Hexeratops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hexeratops »

If you run a program on your computer that's from an untrusted source (especially pirated software like the article mentions), your computer is already compromised. I think the important takeaway from this is not to uninstall Mono in fear of a potential attack vector, it's to download software from only trustworthy sources and to verify the checksums of your manually-downloaded packages to detect potential tampering.

You could arguably do a very similar attack using Java or heck, maybe even Ruby or Python.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Who could/would write and distribute such malware to Linux desktop users?
Perhaps other os makers/users/fanboys.
Perhaps anti-malware/antivirus authors themselves.
Perhaps a disgruntled coder with a chip on his shoulder.
The risk is certain as has been demonstrated and discussed on many Linux forums.
I treat Linux no differently than other alternatives, I cover my arse.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.

Return to “Chat about Linux”