Any other books comparable to "How Linux Works" by Ward...?

Chat about Linux in general
Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Any other books comparable to "How Linux Works" by Ward...?

Post by Chromie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 am

Picked up Brian Ward's "How Linux Works" (ISBN 1593275676, for anyone interested). It's very helpful, with more advanced pace than normal beginner texts.

I was wondering if anyone knows of other books that offer similar insights into Linux functionality. I haven't found anything similar to Ward's book yet.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Linux Mint Main Edition to Chat about Linux, because the search for good Linux books is not specific to Linux Mint ;-)

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Any other books comparable to "How Linux Works" by Ward...?

Post by Pierre » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 am

there is also Ubuntu for Dummies:
https://www.dummies.com/computers/opera ... eat-sheet/
and
Linux for Dummies:
https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Dummies-9t ... 0470467010

there would be others as well.
:)

also depends on, just how advanced you want,,
& what format that you want: - hardcopy / eBook /
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 am

An excellent book that I learned a lot from is "A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux" by Mark G. Sobell. Particularly useful as Mint is based on Ubuntu. It's a 1300 page tome and starts you off at the beginner level, but has a lot of advanced material too. The only problem is that even the latest (fourth) edition is somewhat out-of-date (published in 2015) and has nothing about systemd. But most of the material is still useful today. I still recommend it if budget is not a concern, or it might be worth the price if you can find a cheap used copy. If he comes out with a fifth edition, I'd buy it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 pm

> Pierre wrote:
> "there is also Ubuntu for Dummies"
> "and Linux for Dummies"

What are ya tryin' ta say, dude? .... :-)

I once saw a neurologist who had "Neuroscience for Dummies" on his bookshelf (it does exist). I have to admit that was not confidence-inspiring (though knowing him, it was probably a joke).

Some of the 'dummies' book are reputed to actually be decent and reasonably advanced though. Is that the case with those?

> Slipstick wrote: "An excellent book that I learned a lot from is "A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux" by Mark G. Sobell. "

I just took a look at some sample pages. Looks pretty cool! I'll probably order that. Another that I just noticed is "Understanding the Linux Kernel" by Bovet, but that's very old: 2005. You'd think they would keep updating some of these. It would be nice to have coverage of systemd, etc. But I came up with Windows, and Linux is quite a change, so even the older info on the kernel may be helpful.

Return to “Chat about Linux”