[SOLVED] No desktop icon, even if the settings are turn on

Chat about Linux in general
Aeredren
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No desktop icon, even if the settings are turn on

Post by Aeredren » Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 am

I had serious struggle with cinnamon on my laptop and I suppress all the cinnamon related folder on my home directory to fix the problem. But now even if I can use cinnamon I have no desktop ! No icon on it, no right click, no drag and select. Only my background image, my panel and my windows.
I try all the possible combination with the Desktop settings but it change nothing.

Do you know how to continue working on this problem, I'm stuck ?? :/ I can not find any proper documentation for this software and I do not have the time to read and understand the code source.
Last edited by Aeredren on Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: No desktop icon, even if the settings are turn on

Post by Moem » Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 am

Aeredren wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 am
I had serious struggle with cinnamon on my laptop and I suppress all the cinnamon related folder on my home directory to fix the problem.
What do you mean by 'suppress'?
And for a possible solution: do you have any suitable Timeshift snapshot you can roll back to?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Aeredren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aeredren » Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am

Moem wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 am
What do you mean by 'suppress'?
I mean rm -rf (Cinnamon won't start with startx under my user exclusively so I made a purge of cinnamon folder and files in ~/ )
Moem wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 am
And for a possible solution: do you have any suitable Timeshift snapshot you can roll back to?
Nope. I'm on arch and I fix a lot my system since this bug appear so rolling back is not an option.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Aeredren wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am
I'm on arch
Then I'm afraid we don't support your distro here. I'll move the topic to the Chat area; someone may still be able to help.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 am

Hi,

Do you get the run dialog with the keyboard shortcut Alt-F2?

If yes - try running the command nemo-desktop from the run dialog. Does that bring back your desktop context menu and icons?

If no try the command from a terminal and report back any error messages.

If yes, log off and back on again - do you have icons?

If no - try this command gsettings reset org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons and log off and back on again - do you have icons?

If no what happens in a fresh user account?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Aeredren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aeredren » Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 pm

smurphos wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 am
If yes - try running the command nemo-desktop from the run dialog. Does that bring back your desktop context menu and icons?
It worked, thx u much :) I also follow the troubleshooting section of the nemo article on arch-wiki

Return to “Chat about Linux”