Unable to upgrade kernel in Feren

Chat about Linux in general
alynur
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to upgrade kernel in Feren

Post by alynur » Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm

I seem to be installing the 5.0 kernel successfully into Feren, but the kernel is not showing up in grub, Feren still booting up into 4.18 kernel. The config and image folders are in boot when I search inside the file system. How do I get this kernel into the bootable kernel list? I've run sudo update-grub a bunch of times but still no evidence of the 5.0 kernel. Any help will be appreciated.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unable to upgrade kernel in Feren

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri May 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Choose advance options in Grub where all the installed kernels show
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Have you installed another linux after you installed Feren? I know that in a UEFI system (don't know about MBR) with multiple Ubuntu based distros (and assuming that Feren works the same as Mint by putting its bootloader in the Ubuntu folder in the ESP), the bootloader will use the grub.cfg menu file from the last installed system, even if you are booting into a different system. In which case your fix would be to boot into Feren and reinstall grub. Assuming this is UEFI, you can check to see which grub.cfg file is being used by looking at the text file in the ESP named /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg - this will point to the partition where the menu list file /boot/grub/grub.cfg is located - see if that partition is the Feren / or another distro's /.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 am

This is a Linux Mint forum. Feren, like other distros, are not supported here.

If their support site is so bad that you have to ask that here, I'd switch to Mint or Ubuntu.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Sat May 11, 2019 12:54 pm

slipstick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 pm
Have you installed another linux after you installed Feren? I know that in a UEFI system (don't know about MBR) with multiple Ubuntu based distros (and assuming that Feren works the same as Mint by putting its bootloader in the Ubuntu folder in the ESP), the bootloader will use the grub.cfg menu file from the last installed system, even if you are booting into a different system. In which case your fix would be to boot into Feren and reinstall grub. Assuming this is UEFI, you can check to see which grub.cfg file is being used by looking at the text file in the ESP named /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg - this will point to the partition where the menu list file /boot/grub/grub.cfg is located - see if that partition is the Feren / or another distro's /.
MBR scheme is the same as well.
alynur wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm
but the kernel is not showing up in grub, Feren still booting up into 4.18 kernel.
So additional with this concept, alternately, instead of reinstalling grub from a particular distro, you can boot to the system which holds the master grub file, this is where you would want to use the update-grub functionality. After that, the linked distro installs will be showing any current kernel setup. Right now the feren files should be updated properly within its own file system, but the master grub file, whichever other distro is holding them, -does not know about the updated file within feren yet.

One of the systems will be holding the master grub operation and its files, so you can manage from that distro.

Return to “Chat about Linux”