Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Chat about Linux in general
jamesd1
Level 3
Level 3

Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by jamesd1 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 am

I'm having an approach/avoidance conflict with Linux. I've tried 4 or 5 ditros over this year and they all seem to easily get broken and I'm not trying to do that. When I installed the latest, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa, I did so based on views I read of how stable it was. But now on day three since the install it's broken. I asked for help on that here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=294824 but I'm not sure if its worth the effort.

Is there a Distro that is more bullet proof and easy to use for an X Windows 7 user?

Failing that, I'd like some do/don't advice on how to not break Linux. I've broken three distros in a year and abandoned a few more for being so hard to use.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Thanks,

James

Linux Mint 19.1 MATE, Tessa

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:49 am

here are the 10 fatal mistakes in the blog written by one of our members here in the forums...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html

dont use anti-virus software in linux:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html

here is the beginning page of this recommended and very useful blog written by one of our members here in the forums: i have it bookmarked on my browser:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

EDIT...Take note that the forum tutorial link you posted and used to "fix", "repair and upgrade" things is almost 10 years old and may well be obsolete, always look for when things were originally posted via date. what worked 9 or 10 years ago may well not work correctly on newer distros.
ORDO AB CHAO

jamesd1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesd1 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:04 pm

The list included "Don't install Wine" Really?
Thanks,

James

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:06 pm

REALLY?, yes really, since that can possibly introduce windows based malware problems into your system by allowing windows malware inroads or path into your linux OS. read "pjotr's" reasoning for that in his blog...he does explain it.
ORDO AB CHAO

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sat May 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I think the biggest question here is: How are you breaking your Linux systems? What are you doing?
Last edited by Schultz on Sat May 25, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:11 pm

One of my computer students recently wanted to install a very popular game into his system that required wine...he totally screwed up his system and brought it to me to fix for him...he decided that a great running computer was much better to have than having "fortnight" requiring wine on his otherwise pristine LM OS.

PS...fortnight never did work for him anyways, just screwed things up was all.
ORDO AB CHAO

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm

jamesd1 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 am
Failing that, I'd like some do/don't advice on how to not break Linux. I've broken three distros in a year and abandoned a few more for being so hard to use.
Stay away from anything that requires authentication and you'll be safe. ;)

For example, in the thread you linked one of your issues is that you incorrectly added third-party repositories.

When the system asks you for your password that means you're about to change the system configuration. Be very careful in doing so because you can - and apparently regularly do - break things if you are doing it wrong.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:10 pm

The latter is definitely correct DM10. A lot of the US government Windex systems are infected with Windows malware asking for "Your Password" to authenticated form downloads. This posts Malware to your LM "Root".

Crippled
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crippled » Sat May 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Linux is not easily broken compare other O.S.'s. NASA and the DOD use Debian modified to suite their needs.
I am command line illiterate. I am using Linux mint 19.1 Xfce 64 bit. I concur with this gentleman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKY40fRXKZs

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:15 pm

jamesd1 wrote:
I'm having an approach/avoidance conflict with Linux. I've tried 4 or 5 ditros over this year and they all seem to easily get broken and I'm not trying to do that. When I installed the latest, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa, I did so based on views I read of how stable it was. But now on day three since the install it's broken. I asked for help on that here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=294824 but I'm not sure if its worth the effort.

Is there a Distro that is more bullet proof and easy to use for an X Windows 7 user?

Thanks for your help and advice.
It's pretty hard to break ANY OS, unless the user does something - inappropriate. Not judging you, because I have done stuff, in a rush, thinking that I knew what I just typed in, only to experience that "awe s****" ohno second before stuff starts to disappear. And I've been using Linux for 20 years.

Every Linux is "bullet proof" to the extent that the user doesn't pull the trigger.

That said, anything can be fixed, but details and specific facts are incredibly important when trying to describe a problem, and find a solution.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sat May 25, 2019 8:42 pm

When you are new to Linux, things like repositories and PPAs should be avoided. After a while, you can tell the good from the bad.

Windows used to be reliable and predictable then they started infecting Windows with .NET. Many Windows "security" updates crashed Windows because the security updates also replaced working code with .NET. The equivalent in Linux appears to be the ongoing problems with NVIDEA. I avoided the Windows .NET problems by never applying any update from Microsoft, including security updates. I avoid the Linux NVIDEA problem by not using NVIDEA hardware.

Linux Mint must be in the top 3 Linux distributions for reliability and probably in the top 2. If you break LM 19.1 Cinnamon, then we need to look at the changes you make and the reasons why you made the changes.

Reason one on new hardware is usually a driver issue for NVIDEA or a new Wifi chip. We can help you step through something like that.

The next reason for a change is a need to use the latest version of software. I will use PHP as an example. You can get the latest version of PHP by adding a PPA. There are several to choose from. One installs just the latest PHP. Another one installs a random collection of recent packages with, apparently, no testing for compatibility. I had to rebuild one OS install after testing a different PPA for PHP.

I used to have several PPAs and repositories added. Now I have just one for Signal. There are other ways to install new releases of applications including Flatpack and Appimage. Appimage versions of software are safer than the PPA equivalents.

If you start again with a clean install of Linux Mint then ask here about each change, you will end up with the most reliable OS out of all the brands.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Umm, @Petermint, repositories are good. PPAs can indeed be problematic.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Adding a test repository to get the latest version of one package can lead to failure from the automatic install of the latest versions of other packages. I used the trick of adding the test repository as the lowest priority so that nothing would be installed from the test repository. I then manually requested just the one package from the test repository.

I would not recommend this to anyone in their first few weeks of learning Linux. (Uunless I did not like them. :twisted: )

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 am

Petermint wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:42 pm
NVIDEA
Not
but

(just in case anybody else had that association reading that :lol:)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 am
Petermint wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:42 pm
NVIDEA
Not
but

Well SAID! Most people do NOT read the fine print and think that they are installing the REAL thing. :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun May 26, 2019 5:34 am

jamesd1 wrote:
I've tried 4 or 5 ditros over this year and they all seem to easily get broken and I'm not trying to do that.
Sounds just like the breaky Win 10 Home with its regular forced auto-updates/upgrades.
What is your update policy - is it set to automatic update - do you immediately install all updates every time.? Maybe the root cause lies there.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am

Only major problem I've had with a Linux OS going haywire is due to hardware problems

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 am

Not
but

Damn! That explains the white greasy smears on the computer.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

jamesd1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamesd1 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm

On the Windows side, how do you avoid Nvidea--that was included in the install CD that came with my computer when first I purchased it.
Thanks,

James

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sun May 26, 2019 4:35 pm

jamesd1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm
On the Windows side, how do you avoid Nvidea--that was included in the install CD that came with my computer when first I purchased it.
Why would you want to avoid it?

But if you want to, the easiest way is to not buy any of their hardware.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”