Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by lsemmens » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:59 am

I've managed to break my mint installation. My own stupid fault not looking where I was before changing permissions as root. No biggie, 30 minutes later I had a working system again. and a day later had a program that I had modified back up and running again, only because I did not have that one critical backup. Unlike another OS that I could name, Mint does not break itself, not that I have found, anyway.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
BG405
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:09 pm
Location: England

Re: Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by BG405 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm

From the last post in the thread you linked in your OP in this one: Linux Mint has bad symptoms--corrupt? What to do?
Lord Boltar wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:15 am
From this error
On running rebuild all packages again, it failed with page of:
"failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com.."
"failed to fetch archive.unbuntu.security.com

Seems to me you have duplicate or corrupted entries in your sources.list

Please post back from the following

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
.. Did you try the above? If so, you could do worse than sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and removing the duplicate lines .. that should fix this issue.
Portreve wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 pm
I'll give a different example: imagine BG405 came over to my house. He walks through the front door and, because he doesn't knock on the wall two inches below my light switches, a machine gun next goes off and kills him.
I've thought of some "interesting" burglar deterrent schemes & this is probably the most effective I've read of! But now I know, I'll be sure to have full body armour .. :mrgreen: .. however although Linux generally doesn't need antivirus, I think front doors usually need to be locked in this day and age. :wink: Also you'd need an automated trapdoor in the hallway floor to hide the body & a sprinkler system to wash away the blood in case the neighbours hear the noise and call the police .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

User avatar
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by Portreve » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 am

BG405 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm
I've thought of some "interesting" burglar deterrent schemes & this is probably the most effective I've read of! But now I know, I'll be sure to have full body armour .. :mrgreen: .. however although Linux generally doesn't need antivirus, I think front doors usually need to be locked in this day and age. :wink: Also you'd need an automated trapdoor in the hallway floor to hide the body & a sprinkler system to wash away the blood in case the neighbours hear the noise and call the police .. :mrgreen:
Seriously, BG405? How long have you been peeking through my living room windows? :lol:
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

User avatar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Are most Linux Distros easily broken? Your advice please.

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Portreve wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 pm
smgordon1259 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm
The Carpenter controls the hammer only if he understands how to use it.
When all one knows is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

However, I take your point, smgordon1259.
But...there's no FUN in that!

Installing Arch, installing packages in Arch from AUR and having them fail, and then fixing the PKGBUILDs, and screwing it up with a rogue library taught me more about Linux than anything I had done before.

Sometimes you CAN get the square peg into the round hole, and make it work.

When my boss told me to get something that works, or go back to Windows, was when I came back to Mint. I've been here since. It's still my Daily Driver. The draw with Arch is the graphics packages that are available for it. There is SO much stuff for the GiMP it's amazing. It used to be the same with video editors, but as Ubuntu has been catching up on those, Mint has as well.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”