Modem always disconnects

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ultegro778

Modem always disconnects

Post by Ultegro778 »

hello im using 2 distro Linux Mint cinnamon 19 with 4.15.0.x kernel and Ubuntu mate 19 with 5.0.0.15 kernel. I have problem with my ubuntu in kernel 5.x, when i plug modem it's connect to internet and then disconect randomly. But when i was used kernel 4.15.x in my ubuntu its normal.
so i assume the problem is on kernel 5.x doesn't support my modem. So i initiative to install kernel 4.15.0-041500 to my both os, then i try to connect my modem in Linux mint kernel 4.15.0-041500 it's running normal after that i also try in ubuntu kernel 4.15.0-041500 and i get same problem in kernel 5.x. i don't know where is the problem. please help me. thx anyway
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Modem always disconect

Post by gm10 »

So to recap, your Linux Mint OS is running fine, your Ubuntu OS that was released a year later is not. Sounds to me like you should be asking for support over at Ubuntu then, this has got nothing to do with Linux Mint.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Topic moved out of the Linux Mint support area.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ultegro778

Post by Ultegro778 »

gm10 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:11 pm So to recap, your Linux Mint OS is running fine, your Ubuntu OS that was released a year later is not. Sounds to me like you should be asking for support over at Ubuntu then, this has got nothing to do with Linux Mint.
Sorry i'm ask here because nobody reply my question in ubuntu forum
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, the likely reason is incompatible firmware. Try one of the older versions of the package. Your Mint is using version 1.173.6:

Code: Select all

$ apt list -a linux-firmware
Listing... Done
linux-firmware/disco-security,disco-security,disco-updates,disco-updates 1.178.1 all [upgradable from: 1.178]
linux-firmware/disco,disco,now 1.178 all [installed,upgradable to: 1.178.1]
linux-firmware/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,bionic-security,bionic-security 1.173.6 all
linux-firmware/bionic,bionic 1.173 all

Return to “Chat about Linux”