Deleted Mint partitions and now can't boot Ubuntu or Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Anonymousdarria
Level 1
Level 1

Deleted Mint partitions and now can't boot Ubuntu or Windows

Post by Anonymousdarria » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:18 am

Long story short I have been dual booting Linux Mint 19 cinnamon alongside my Windows 10. Now I am still very much so in a mature as I got only been learning Linux for close to a year now. I chose the head first in the deep end method LOL after much trial and error I found my new Linux home to be mint 19. However it keeps crashing and I keep getting a session failed error oh, so after much investigation I've come to determine set me an Linux Mint weren't meant to be. Yes I know that is like the baby food of Linux and if I can't handle that, then can I ever make it moving forward LOL but nonetheless I have learned a lot and it's sad that when I go to the computer stores and repair shops for assistance, and believe It or not when I go to these shops I feel I am literally teaching their techs new things almost every time and I've only been at this maybe a year... unfortunately sad, I wasn't brought here to rant so I'll get back to the point at hand LOL.

I decided 2 mess around with some different flavors of Ubuntu end decided to stick with basic. So after being awake for many hours some work I decided to give Ubuntu one more last live just a mess around. Of course I decided to open G parted and completely deleted the partitions that had Linux Mint I had initially kept them to make reinstalling Linux Mint easier however I was 100% sure that I wanted Ubuntu instead. So now I have deleted the Linux Mint partitions which is now in one unallocated space. I'm sure you get where I'm leading to it this haha I can no longer booting my.

Upon booting my computer would normally go to the grub2 menu where I would choose between mint and windows it even showed my external hard drives operating systems -Kali & Parrot- (-side note- it showed my external hard drive, meaning it showed both Kali and parrot security even when my external wasn't plugged in I just assumed it was maybe grub2 having a memory)

For some reason Linux Mint always boot first so can your answer possibly include how to make Ubuntu boot first and not Windows? Moving on though, I can't boot Windows anymore and I'm pretty sure that's because I deleted the bootloader. I even went as far as putting in a Windows 10 installation media disc and repaired bootrec and it's still not booting windows. Now when I hit ask 9 I go and quit my notebook harddrive which would normally bring me to the grub menu however now it just brings me to a grub air command line. I did the troubleshooting steps. For that too (also shown in pics)

So I boot Ubuntu 19.04 thru USB and go to install get to the point where I make my partitions and then I get the error also shown in the pictures.. what do I do, and where did I go wrong??

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEcQ3uF
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved here as this isn't about Linux Mint but about how to reinstall grub for Ubuntu; title clarified

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Deleted Mint partitions and now can't boot Ubuntu or Windows

Post by WharfRat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:02 am

I'm confused with your screen shots.

The first pic at the top shows three partitions sda1,2 and 5.

In the middle it shows sda5 for the root file system and sda6 for swap.

The bottom shows the same as the pic at the top.

The second one depicting gparted shows only two ntfs partitions and unallocated space.

The last one shows /sys/firmware/efi on the installation media - for what reason is a mystery to me.

You can't boot windows because the grub components that resided in Mint's /boot folder is gone.

Did you try the side by side or whatever the Ubuntu auto dual boot installation is called ?
ImageImage

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:25 am

the Grub Boot Loader will point to the Linux System:
- so when you delete that Linux partition - - the Grub Boot Loader is neutered.
you now have to re-install that boot loader - - with the Ubuntu Boot Loader
& which will then detect the existing Windows system.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Anonymousdarria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymousdarria » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 am

So I just installed ubuntu windows (giving this pc to my little brother and he wants Ubuntu where as I like Mint) however it gave me a warning saying that there was no EFI partition. So I made an EFI partition along with the others. After install I restart, I hit F9 so I can select my notebook hard drive as I like to keep the USB first in line for booting. Usually I would hit at F9 and then select my notebook harddrive which would bring me to the grub2 boot menu where I would select either Linux Mint or Windows. However this is where I noticed two things, when I click my hard drive (thinking it would now bring me to a grub boot screen, it still goes to the grub error line.. So I restart and hit F9 again and as strange as it may be, Ubuntu had its own option right there after I hit F9. So I select Ubuntu directly but that won't do it either I get another error oh, so I restart a third time and after hitting S9 I don't click my notebook hard drive, and I don't select Ubuntu, I select boot from EFI which I found I can navigate through to get Ubuntu to actually boot.. Any thoughts as to how I can simply get it to where I turn on my computer and it goes to a grub many where I select either operating system A or operating system B?

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... 0ks8e8.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... 2bmup7.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... 7kqpmd.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... djhqvk.jpg

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 am

You likely have Windows installed in BIOS boot with no bootloader and Ubuntu installed in UEFI, might be easiest to install Ubuntu in BIOS/CSM and that should make things better

Anonymousdarria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymousdarria » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 am

Would you mind explaining how to do so.. If you wouldn't mind.. Just a general ru. Down then I can figure out the rest :)

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

JeremyB wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 am
You likely have Windows installed in BIOS boot with no bootloader and Ubuntu installed in UEFI, might be easiest to install Ubuntu in BIOS/CSM and that should make things better
No need to reinstall. Just install grub-pc

Code: Select all

apt install grub-pc
sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub

Anonymousdarria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymousdarria » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:14 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am