Linux, should it carry a mental health warning!

Chat about Linux in general
stevet44
Level 1
Level 1

Linux, should it carry a mental health warning!

Post by stevet44 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 pm

I am a little concerned about the effect of not being able to master Linux, is having on people.
It has to be the most unintuitive learning process, I have ever encountered. Absolutely not one thing I have tried to achieve has been any kind of pleasure, everything seems to be a 'learn by stressful mistake' process aided and abetted by ambiguous and confusing tutorials.
Can somebody on here please point me in the direction of a proper learning centre that offers step by step instructions on how to, for example, install a Samsung printer! Without of course assuming that you know every abbreviation and synonym and have only just started out on the linux journey.

For me it may be a short one to be honest, I like the concept, but the box canyons and T junctions encountered when trying to get my head around new stuff is pissing me off.

It really isn't funny.

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux, should it carry a mental health warning!

Post by HAWR » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I can generally recommend the following website for your wish. You can also find the installation of your Samsung printer there:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html

Maybe after studying this website, the "pissing me off" is away :lol:

LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 pm

What OS are you used to using ?
I come from the days of Vic 20, Amiga,286 etc and running just about every OS that there was, and this version of Linux 19.1 and Ubuntu 18.4 is so easy to use compared to even 3 yrs ago that I am rarely using Window 10 now.

Printers used to be a real pain to install I agree, but now I just plugged my 2 Brother Laser printers in, and the drivers were installed automatically.

If you are coming from Windows, Mint should be easy for you to figure out.

Patience young Jedi.... :)

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

I felt the same way when I was first transitioning from my Windows 2000 Server admin job to Solaris 2.5. Linux itself has come a long way in its ease of use and configuration. I think the problem comes from the long-time familiarity of Windows, expecting this new-fangled OS to work the same way. To me, it's kind of like learning a new language - you have a tendency of translating everything you see/hear into your primary language, instead of "thinking" in the new one.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-64-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (435.21)

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

stevet44 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Absolutely not one thing I have tried to achieve has been any kind of pleasure, everything seems to be a 'learn by stressful mistake' process aided and abetted by ambiguous and confusing tutorials.
I would strongly suggest that you get in the habit of asking more questions, earlier. Don't wait until you're not having fun anymore and everything seems impossible. Ask at the very first moment you are having doubts about how to do something. There is no reason to stumble around in the dark when so many people here have torches to offer you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gittiest personITW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gittiest personITW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi,
Also - if you are having a problem with the printer, I found that posting in the printer forum gets a quicker reply and some printer gurus only hang around there while holding a half pint of mead waiting for questions to be asked.
viewforum.php?f=51

If I am having trouble sorting out how to change an icon or do something with the taskbar then the newbie forum is good - and ppl are generally more understanding that you are posting to the newbie forum - especially if you have all the specs and the OS you are using in your first post (same as any help forum).

As with any change of OS (Win98 to Win2K to XP (forget Vista) to 7 to 8 to 10) they all have learning curves, but the one to Linux is a lot steeper but the light at the end of the tunnel is brighter and more secure and free (if you don't choose to donate).
Unfortunately some hardware combinations do make it more of a mountain than a gentle curve but there are too many combinations to know which until you try.
I've seen 5 identical systems out of the factory work differently and have different niggles.

All in - if you feel the computer is being unproductive with x Operating system, then, if you are sick of it, try y Operating system.
Computers are there to help us, allegedly, rather than the other way round.

I tried Linux of one flavour or another a few years ago briefly, but there was no way we were ready for each other then. Maybe if you do go and then return, everything will be better.

8 ball
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8 ball » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Your title is not conducive to explaining what you're after help with. It's more productive not to combine a rant with a question - post them separately is my advice.

j2ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by j2ee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm

stevet44 wrote:
I am a little concerned about the effect of not being able to master Linux, is having on people.
It has to be the most unintuitive learning process, I have ever encountered. Absolutely not one thing I have tried to achieve has been any kind of pleasure, everything seems to be a 'learn by stressful mistake' process aided and abetted by ambiguous and confusing tutorials.
Can somebody on here please point me in the direction of a proper learning centre that offers step by step instructions on how to, for example, install a Samsung printer! Without of course assuming that you know every abbreviation and synonym and have only just started out on the linux journey.

For me it may be a short one to be honest, I like the concept, but the box canyons and T junctions encountered when trying to get my head around new stuff is pissing me off.

It really isn't funny.
You give too much stress to yourself. It is not much different than Windows

stevet44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stevet44 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks for those replies guys I was a tad stressed there.

The mission continues.... :?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:27 am

stevet44 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 am
The mission continues.... :?
So, let us help. Post specific and detailed questions in the suitable sections of the forum, and see what happens.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:20 am

gittiest personITW wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 pm

As with any change of OS (Win98 to Win2K to XP (forget Vista) to 7 to 8 to 10) they all have learning curves, but the one to Linux is a lot steeper but the light at the end of the tunnel is brighter and more secure and free (if you don't choose to donate).
You forgot Missed Edition - that was the most forgettable OS that M$ ever produced. That, alone, has the dubious honour of lasting precisely 15 minutes on one of my computers before I blew it all away and loaded W2K.

Actually SteveT Mint isn't all that hard to learn, if you know a device is capable of performing a task it is just a matter of asking the right questions.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am

Unlike Windows, in which the printer manufacturer is required to provide you a device driver, Linux depends mostly on availability of volunteer driver developers (either individuals or from the manufacturers themselves). The less common your hardware is, the less chance of it getting the appropriate driver. And that is (I believe) the case of your choice of printer. Samsung printers are not as common as the likes of Canon, HP, Epson, and Brother printers.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 pm

stevet44 wrote:
As everyone says, are you using it or trying to do programming? If it is just to use it, it couldn't be simpler. Example - someone dropped into using it, having always used Windows, there was no learning curve. She simply went on using her computer as she always has.

Actually Linux Mint is a lot simpler than Windows because every month it keeps going instead of crashing, losing printer drivers, losing screen drivers and finally losing everything. Windows does that, Mint doesn't. Mint is reliable. It just keeps going, simple.

So? Where's the problem?

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 am

WARNING: This Linux Mint OS is a danger to those who are under mind control of Microsoft to think Linux is hard to use and not good for anyone but hackers. The ability to freely operate your system using Linux Mint the way you want without help is causing extreme condemnation and mistrust of Linux. In order to help stop these feelings a "Community Forum" was created so you could feel free to ask any question about Linux Mint.

This has been a public service announcement

Just Kidding, who misses the BSOD?
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 am

smgordon1259 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 am
WARNING: This Linux Mint OS is a danger to those who are under mind control of Microsoft to think Linux is hard to use...

Shouldn't your quote be followed by a "Dive, dive, dive" announcement? Especially with the logo you are using? :D

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 am

smgordon1259 wrote:
WARNING: This Linux Mint OS is a danger to those who are under mind control of Microsoft to think Linux is hard to use and not good for anyone but hackers. The ability to freely operate your system using Linux Mint the way you want without help is causing extreme condemnation and mistrust of Linux. In order to help stop these feelings a "Community Forum" was created so you could feel free to ask any question about Linux Mint.

Just Kidding, who misses the BSOD?
Are you joking? You've asked plenty of support questions here. And anti MS paranoia is one of the worst reasons for using Linux.

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm

why wouldn't I be Kidding?

he asked for a warning I threw one out there, you may have misread my post.

when one try's software and does not ask for any help they cuss and blame Linux for not being like windows, and when in deep doo doo that's when they panic and get upset. never said anything to the contrary of what my experience was.

The mock Warning was just encouraging people to ask before it gets too deep. nothing more. maybe quit reading things that is not there?
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm

RollyShed wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 am
smgordon1259 wrote:
WARNING: This Linux Mint OS is a danger to those who are under mind control of Microsoft to think Linux is hard to use...

Shouldn't your quote be followed by a "Dive, dive, dive" announcement? Especially with the logo you are using? :D
didn't see that coming , sorry for the stumble
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 pm

stevet44 wrote:

It really isn't funny.
Hello Steve,
There is a bit of a learning curve for any OS and it will become easier as you go along. One suggestion is create a folder in your Documents "linux tips" or of the likes and when you learn something write it down in a text file for later use if you run into that problem again. I am always learning new stuff n things in Linux and I am sure that will never end. Once you get a handle on the basics the rest comes a lot easier. Good luck and please don't give up.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

j2ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by j2ee » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am

For non-IT person, spend time to learn Linux may not worth it. For IT person this is a hobby and the knowledge that need to know.

Return to “Chat about Linux”