Linux, should it carry a mental health warning!

Chat about Linux in general
Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux, should it carry a mental health warning!

Post by Moem » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 am

j2ee wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am
For non-IT person, spend time to learn Linux may not worth it.
I'm not an IT person but I'm using Mint since a couple of years, and liking it just fine. My mother is not an IT person either but she, too, can handle Mint just fine. I know enough to support her when she has questions (which is rarer than it was when we both used Windows). I don't consider Mint to be hard to use.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 am
j2ee wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 am
For non-IT person, spend time to learn Linux may not worth it.
I'm not an IT person but I'm using Mint since a couple of years, and liking it just fine. My mother is not an IT person either but she, too, can handle Mint just fine. I know enough to support her when she has questions (which is rarer than it was when we both used Windows). I don't consider Mint to be hard to use.
My wife used my computer and did not know she was not on windows until I told her it was Linux Mint, and then she freaked out, and refused to use it any more since she "did not know how to use it". I pointed out that it was just like her windows computer, and she adamantly claimed it was "too different". *sigh*

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: Linux, should it carry a mental health warning?

Absolutely!

The sheer power staggers the imagination.
And it's free--which blows my mind.

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 pm

steve44 "I am a little concerned about the effect of not being able to master Linux, is having on people." and j2ee "For non-IT person, spend time to learn Linux may not worth it." They have made these statements with absolutely no explanations why other than steve44's printer install.

It is now 10 months since a non-IT person was "dropped" on to Linux Mint.

Since then I've had no operating problem questions from her. Before that, every month a major fix was needed due to Microsoft stuffing up her computer. How to reinstall printer drivers (Linux Mint knows about the printer and drives it), how to find and reinstall screen drivers - again and again and again (unnecessary with Linux Mint as it just works perfectly "out of the box"). Finally windows wiped all of her data. Linux never does that during an unrequested update.

So steve44's question really should be, "I am a little concerned about the effect of not being able to master Windows, is having on people. Also what the unreliability of Windows is having on people."

I am giving specific instances, steve44 isn't, or hasn't yet except for his printer.

Moem says she and her mother are not IT people. My local Men's Shed members running Linux Mint, half a dozen or more. Mostly none of them are IT people (I'm one of two).

So basically, what are steve44 and j2ee waffling about? Are they from a land where the word FREE can't be understood? Did they not have problems with Windows?

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 am

stevet44 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 pm
I am a little concerned about the effect of not being able to master Linux, is having on people.
It has to be the most unintuitive learning process, I have ever encountered. Absolutely not one thing I have tried to achieve has been any kind of pleasure,
It really isn't funny.
Firstly...a Mental Health Warning should be applied to Micro$oft and Windoze as both are not only a danger to your Health but your Wallet too. :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway...no one sits down in front of a Windoze Computer and knows how to use it from day one. :lol: :lol:

Linux Mint is easy to learn and use because you have this Forum full of people going out of their way to help you :D but you must be willing to learn too. :roll: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Let me tell a story. My very first exposure to Linux was some version of Slackware that came on about jillion floppy disks. When done with the install, user was presented with a blinky cursor after a $ sign with some meaningless combination of letters to the left of that. When I asked, "what next?", the nawer was are you stupid or something? And prying the secrets of Linux out of the great high priest was exhausting.

Eventually, I said "screw it", and I found a boxed copy of Red Hat 5.2, complete with book, in a thrift store. The installer made sense, the instructions were generally pretty good - and I was hooked. Fast forward a quarter century, and Kubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, and a cast of hundreds make it easy to install the product and the product is virtually bulletproof. It is necessary to read instructions, and ask questions, but the answers are readily available. My two computers (desktop and laptop) are completely different animals, yet both are rock solid when used with their appropriate distribution and version.

Start off slow and simple, a newbie does not need to have to install with logical volumes and encrypted directories. Those features can be useful, in specific conditions, but not on day one. Set up a stable environment, then learn it. Once you understand what you have, then you backup your data, re-install, and start adding complexity. Linux has some limitations, to the extent that some hardware makers are reluctant to spend a penny on Linux compatibility. Run from those makers, and let them klnow why you aren't using their product. Learn the power of Linux, its complexity, its simplicity, and its depth of information it will provide to you.

Buy a book. Subscribe to forums. learn.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:11 pm

My girlfriend, who I love dearly, has NO technical expertise whatsoever. The other day she asked me why her Linux computer was not working. I asked her if her power cable was connected. It was not. She thinks I am a computer guru. That' s laughable to all you experienced forummembers. But I tell this anecdote to prove a point. My girlfriend had MANY MANY more complaints and questions when she was using Windows. This simple and FUNNY complaint about her disconnected power cable goes to show that Linux can be used by EVERYONE who has got a friend to install it.

Once LinuxMint works, it will keep on working.... :D

Reserve the mental health warnings for those who smoke, drink or eat excessively. Smoking, drinking and eating excessively kills people. LinuxMint on the other hand is a free gift. A present. LinuxMint only needs someone to introduce you to it...and it will be a friendly neighbour for the rest of your life... :D

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 am

My girlfriend, who I love dearly, has NO technical expertise whatsoever.
My equivalent is daughter phoning up to say that the laptop I gave her, an old T410 (running LM) won't connect to wifi. Go over and after much head-scratching and about 1/2 hour, I look to the side of the laptop and move that little switch from the off to the on position. Two year old grandson had been busy with his fingers :)
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:21 am

I gave an old (DOS) computer to a friend when I upgraded, many years back. It only had two floppy drives 5 1/4" so you had to put a boot disk in to make it do anything. Friend knew this. Some weeks later I get a phone call, "computer isn't working". So I wander 'round there and they said, don't panic, have a cuppa, look at it next time. This went on for about 3 months. Varying excuses, the room is a mess and so forth. No, she was not "trying it on", her hubby and kids were there, and my wife and kids were often there, too, we were close friends. (As an aside, she is now divorced and living with another woman). Anyway, One day, after the usual, I said "Stuff it ****, I don't care, I'll look at it anyway!" and just walked into their bedroom. Walked out two seconds later with, "it's fixed!!", Amazed questions "What was wrong?" . "Open Circuit between the computer and the wall!", Confused looks, "It wasn't plugged in!" We got a lot of mileage out of that one!!.

Another friend, some years later was having troubles and another mercy dash. I arrived as she was just hopping into the shower. Told me the problem and I went to work. As I was finishing she came out, and I explained that all it needed was a re-start (early windwoes). Her response "Oh, Leigh, If I wasn't wearing this towel, I'd kiss you!!" Her hubby was away on business at the time. The whole family got lot of fun out of that one too. Her extended family were our adopted family, so we did everything together anyway. :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:24 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 am
I look to the side of the laptop and move that little switch from the off to the on position. Two year old grandson had been busy with his fingers :)
I mentioned this on another thread about WiFi not working as I'd also had the same problem a week ago. We got back from a weekend away where it worked perfectly and it did not work at home. Pushing the laptop into the bag had moved the switch. The switch was something I'd not realised it had. Some do, some don't.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am

My meds must be working because I've never found this with Linux Mint :mrgreen:

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Pepi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 am
My meds must be working
I thought Linux, particularly Mint, was the medicine! My swear box hasn't seen much use since I switched .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Chat about Linux”