Galaxy S4 10.5 tablet + Linux

Chat about Linux in general
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Galaxy S4 10.5 tablet + Linux

Post by tinca » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Galaxy S4 10.5 Tablet. I made the purchase as I am trying to learn to paint, and I put lots of images and videos on the tablet about painting, and then take it into my shed where I paint. I use the tablet as a reference. I could have purchased a far cheaper tablet which would have done what I talked about above, BUT, I knew that this tablet could run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Using the tablet I have downloaded the Ubuntu file which is a zip file. I have unpacked it and find that I have "xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.img". I have tried to run this file without any luck. I downloaded the same file onto my desktop Mint Mate 19.1. I put it into a folder I made called Ubuntu and unpacked it. I again had the file "xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.img". I right clicked this file and a box opened asking me to choose where to put it, giving me the choice of my 3 hard drives, so I cancelled it. I again right clicked on the file and choose the second option which was to mount the file. This it did. It put an icon on my Desktop named "clouding-rootfs", when I look inside this folder there is 23 items that looks to be the whole Ubuntu program.

Can anybody give me single step instructions of how to use the file when I am using the Galaxy 10.5 tablet please.

The only instructions I can find say extract the file and then make your container. Not helpful to somebody who has never had an Android device.

Best regards Keith
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Galaxy S4 10.5 tablet + Linux

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:38 am

Have you installed the Linux on DeX app.? ....... https://www.linuxondex.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4nkshzAODU

P S - The same can be done for non-Samsung DeX rooted Android devices by installing the Linux Deploy and Busybox apps, ie installing Ubuntu in a container on the Android device, eg ... https://www.maketecheasier.com/install- ... ux-deploy/ - How to Install Ubuntu on Your Android Phone Using Linux Deploy - 2018

P P S - We can also use an Emulator to install Win 10/8.1/7/XP/etc "virtual machines" on Android devices, eg Limbo PC Emulator app. They can be slow to boot and/or laggy, especially on low-end Android devices.
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi michael

thank for taking the time. I cannot find the Linux on Dex app in the google app store. I have trawled up and down the available apps offered, but I do not see it. I have read elsewhere that the app is broken in the app store.

I have found a post that says you can download it from APKMIRROR, which I have just done. When I click this file it indeed does go onto setting up a container. One of the steps is to confirm your Samsung Account. I set this up when I first started up the Galaxy. Unfortunately the password that I have written down does not work. I realise now that the keyboard on the Galaxy is NOT the same as my conventional keyboard. I have managed to re-set my password to something different so I will now have another go.

So far with the Galaxy I seem to be making a pigs ear out of it. Hoping to do better.

Best regards Keith

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:24 pm

tinca wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:55 pm
One of the steps is to confirm your Samsung Account. I set this up when I first started up the Galaxy. Unfortunately the password that I have written down does not work.
When first setting up the Android Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 for use = Google account, ie not Samsung account.
....... I think the Samsung account is related to the use of the Linux on DeX app and should be registered at Samsung's website. Seems, you need a PC or desktop mode to register as a beta-tester for the Linux on DeX app. ...
. .[SOLVED]
First use your PC, click on the "Download Now" link. It will take you to a page where you have the option to "become a tester". Click that, it should say "you are a tester".
Now on your phone click on the "Download Now" link in the email you got, and it should take you to the testing program welcome page (the same actually that wasn't working before), and there the first link will take you to the Play Store where you can download the app. .
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy ... 4570/page3 - Linux on Dex Beta - Nov 2018

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 am

Hi Michael

I had already signed up to be a tester, and received an e-mail back giving me a link to the file I need to download. Unfortunately the link says "not available", so no help at all.

I have just found a video showing the uses of the S Pen. I found the video here
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... LTwYSIAQ17
I changed some of the already installed icons, and I could not believe it when I found an icon for Linux on Dex, which I added to S Pen icons. Using the S Pen I selected the Linux on Dex icon and it went of an downloaded a file. This took a long while to download. It is now at 89%. The file size is 3.81 GB. It is xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.zip

I now have the option to unzip. Slow to extract but going OK. It has finished and I am on a screen showing My Files on the left hand side of the screen and xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.img. I can see that the process has created a new folder named LoD (Linux on DeX) on the internal storage.

Internal storage /LoD now has 2 files in it.
xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016
xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.zip

If I click the top option it shows the file ending in .img. If I click it it says I have no apps to open this type of file. I have searched and found IMG TOOL and downloaded it. I have opened the program and I am looking for the LoD folder.

I cannot find it at anywhere. I suspect that I am not able to see the internal storage area.

After spending many a long year looking at a 32 inch IIYAMA monitor I find the tablet to be hard work, still I have made a bit of progress with the S Pen. Hope to do better, will keep on.

Best regards Keith

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 am

tinca wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 am
Internal storage /LoD now has 2 files in it.
xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016
xenial-gnome-with-IJ-G1016.zip

If I click the top option it shows the file ending in .img. If I click it it says I have no apps to open this type of file.
Try referring to this link ....... https://beebom.com/install-linux-on-dex/ , ie open the LoD app, tap on the + button ... .

Last resort is to use the Linux Deploy and Busybox apps to install Ubuntu 16.04 as a container/virtual machine on the Android tablet.
P S - You need at least 12GB of free internal flash storage space to do this.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi michael,

I have managed to get it installed and it is up and running. What a relief. All of the problems were probably mine, simply not knowing what I was doing.

I now have a Ubuntu Desktop. There is a terminal window with the message “ to run a command as administrator (user “root”) use sudo.

I have a line of icons down the left hand side of the screen. 9 of them. (taskbar?) I cannot move it or enter it to add or remove icons (programs).

The top icon is Synaptic it is looking for a password which is perfect (I think) That works.

The second one the round blue circle is Google Chromium. Went to youtube + george ezra “pretty shining people”. That works.

The third one is Firefox. Again george ezra. That works.

The fourth. Visual Studio Code. VS Code is a lightweight source-code editor.

The fifth one is IntelliJIDEA. is a cross-platform IDE that provides consistent experience on the Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems

The sixth one is Geany. Geany is a lightweight IDE (Integrated Development Environment) using the GTK2 toolkit. It was developed to provide a small and faster IDE for users for editing files

The seventh one is HOME

The Eighth one is Terminal

The ninth one is GEDIT

To try out synaptic I have installed psensor. That works

There is a hidden taskbar at the bottom of the screen, this is the DeX toolbar. You have to drag up to bring the taskbar into sight.

I have played about for a while, now I cannot find a shut down button.

Put it on charge and left it running.

thank you very much for your help michael. It has been a bit frustrating but we managed to get there.

Best regards Keith

p.s. it runs rather well.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:42 am

hi michael,

just a couple of pictures. The first one is the Galaxy S4 running with the DeX setup, and the second one is the Galaxy S4 running Ubuntu.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/uzt0s00a/

thanks again

Best regards Keith

Return to “Chat about Linux”